Experience

Apologies in advance. I know I'm breaking all sorts of rules here. On the topic of minutes, experience, depth,etc...to me one of the greatest coaching jobs in last 25 years or so was this team. 8 or 9 NBA players on team. You had 3 main guys all playing 25+ (for us that would be TJD, X, and likely Race)....but you have all these other future NBA guys getting the 18-19 mpg. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/kentucky/1996.html

When it comes to minute distribution and showing how you can still make it to the league while buying into team concept this was/is the best example I know of. Not all will be NBA guys but we have guys like JHS, Malik, Bates, Jordan, Trey,etc....as well as Banks/Gunn/Leal fighting for time too.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Apologies in advance. I know I'm breaking all sorts of rules here. On the topic of minutes, experience, depth,etc...to me one of the greatest coaching jobs in last 25 years or so was this team. 8 or 9 NBA players on team. You had 3 main guys all playing 25+ (for us that would be TJD, X, and likely Race)....but you have all these other future NBA guys getting the 18-19 mpg. 

When it comes to minute distribution and showing how you can still make it to the league while buying into team concept this was/is the best example I know of. Not all will be NBA guys but we have guys like JHS, Malik, Bates, Jordan, Trey,etc....as well as Banks/Gunn/Leal fighting for time too.  

Good reference.  If our team leaders have a goal of winning a title, or at least making a deep run, staying fresh and building depth has to be part of the equation.  Race and TJD were both beat down by the end of the year. TJD caught a postseason second wind thanks to CMW challenging him. Race had nothing left. We'll need all of our depth for energy,  and in case of injuries. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Hasn't the players noted that Leal is the hardest worker on the team? 

Can he crack the rotation? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hasn't the players noted that Leal is the hardest worker on the team? 

Can he crack the rotation? 

That's the great part. If he's on the court that means he's definitely earned it. Anyone who sees court time this year will have been busting their tails in practice....that's how deep I think we are.

20 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Knocking down 3’s is what I’m concerned with. I know some think there will be enough internal improvement, but we didn’t really address that over the off-season and I can’t help to think “what’s new”? Hopefully we’re good enough in every other area that it doesn’t hurt us as much. We’ll see. I hope this team’s goal and belief is that they can win it all. Don’t think it’s crazy at all. 

Agree. IMO IU has the highest floor of any team in the B1G for next season. The question is how much higher their ceiling might be and the shooting is a big part of that question.

• Like 3

Really looking forward to this upcoming season. One thing that will be huge for us again is the defense. Defense alone will keep us in games, just like it did the majority of last season. With a year of experience and spending more time on offense, I think that will help push us over the edge. 

This team lost a lot of close games and had significant injuries (TJD played through his the best he could). With better overall talent and experience in the system, I think there will be better results. Even if shooting is only slightly better, experience in the system and better over talent will be huge factors into making it a successful season in the Big10 and nationally.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Really looking forward to this upcoming season. One thing that will be huge for us again is the defense. Defense alone will keep us in games, just like it did the majority of last season. With a year of experience and spending more time on offense, I think that will help push us over the edge. 

This team lost a lot of close games and had significant injuries (TJD played through his the best he could). With better overall talent and experience in the system, I think there will be better results. Even if shooting is only slightly better, experience in the system and better over talent will be huge factors into making it a successful season in the Big10 and nationally.

So, when did IU basketball public relations hire you?    🤔 

On 6/4/2022 at 8:50 AM, RoadToZion said:

Call me crazy but I think we may win it all. Find a way to knock down some 3’s and we will be hard to beat. No injuries please (looking at you Clif). 

There is only room for one crazy here and he called this back in March.

😛

Edited by IUCrazy2