Today vs. Yesterday

rico

1 minute ago, rico said:

Another thing that I am surprised that hasn't come up is shoe companies and their power today that did not exist yesterday.

I think most are familiar with Sonny Vaccaro. He and shoe companies been influencing this sport since 1984. I just think the average fans are just now realizing how much their influence plays into it. 

For example. My Dad is 70. Born/raised Hoosier...for the first time in my entire life he asked me asked if RL is an Adidas guy or not. I couldn't stop laughing to myself. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think most are familiar with Sonny Vaccaro. He and shoe companies been influencing this sport since 1984. I just think the average fans are just now realizing how much their influence plays into it. 

For example. My Dad is 70. Born/raised Hoosier...for the first time in my entire life he asked me asked if RL is an Adidas guy or not. I couldn't stop laughing to myself. 

Funny you should say that about your Dad, my Father, 77, asked me what brand of sneaker Romeo wore.  My how the times have changed!

Again, this thread was started with the question, "how has CBB changed?"

It has skewed to the pro game, which is fine, but to get back on track with the original question...

Conference realignment has definitely affected the game. The Big East is a shadow of itself. With all of the "megaconferences"  conference schedules are no longer round-robin thus making the regular season championships less important. Rivalries have been affected. We no longer are guaranteed to play Purdue twice a year. We no longer play Kentucky.

Very definitely, the cash cow that is college football has taken precedence over all and has affected basketball to a large degree.

27 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

It has skewed to the pro game, which is fine, but to get back on track with the original question...

Conference realignment has definitely affected the game. The Big East is a shadow of itself. With all of the "megaconferences"  conference schedules are no longer round-robin thus making the regular season championships less important. Rivalries have been affected. We no longer are guaranteed to play Purdue twice a year. We no longer play Kentucky.

Very definitely, the cash cow that is college football has taken precedence over all and has affected basketball to a large degree.

I am gonna ship your ass back to Fargo!!!!!  LOL

But that is a great take as well.  Which do you think was better.........1975 or 2018?  As far as conferences.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I am gonna ship your ass back to Fargo!!!!!  LOL

But that is a great take as well.  Which do you think was better.........1975 or 2018?  As far as conferences.

For hoops...1975.

For football --today, but not the BCS.

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I also think TV coverage has totally change college basketball as well.  Know most teams can been seen nationally which allows recruits to see whatever team they are interested in.  Take Romeo he has been able to see Vandy and KU anytime he wants, where 30 years ago that wouldn't have been the case.  I remember growing up near Indy we got all the IU and PU games on Channel 4 and a big ten game or two on Saturday on that channel.  Also we might get one or two nationally televised game on first NBC and then CBS.  I sometimes wonder if there can be to many games on where it makes the fans a little numb to watching the games.  It use to feel like a big game anytime you got to watch a game and it felt like it had more meaning and now it does not have that same feeling.

1 hour ago, rico said:

So you liked all the independents in 1975?

You asked about the conferences. I liked conferences making geographic sense. I liked conference rivalries and playing each team every year home and away. 

Independents made their own choices and knew that they had to be really good to get into the tournament without a conference affiliation. 

Conferences now being spread so far--W Virginia in the Big 12 as an example, make travel time and the wear and tear on bodies, have a greater impact on the quality of play, imo. Not to mention, taking kids away from classes 

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I was getting ready to compare today's YMCA leagues for 8-9 year olds to those that were in place in 1956.  But, I don't want to take us off track again.  Maybe I'll start a new thread.  :coffee:

6 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

You asked about the conferences. I liked conferences making geographic sense. I liked conference rivalries and playing each team every year home and away. 

Independents made their own choices and knew that they had to be really good to get into the tournament without a conference affiliation. 

Conferences now being spread so far--W Virginia in the Big 12 as an example, make travel time and the wear and tear on bodies, have a greater impact on the quality of play, imo. Not to mention, taking kids away from classes 

Notre Dame says hello.

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was getting ready to compare today's YMCA leagues for 8-9 year olds to those that were in place in 1956.  But, I don't want to take us off track again.  Maybe I'll start a new thread.  :coffee:

My "Y" had a running track on the second level tha hung over the corners of the court. Shots from the corner had to be pretty much line drive or they clanged off the undersides of the track 

2 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

My "Y" had a running track on the second level tha hung over the corners of the court. Shots from the corner had to be pretty much line drive or they clanged off the undersides of the track 

Ugh.  That can't help the ol' shooting form.

I would like to go back to what Jerry touched on.  And that be conferences and how they were yesterday.  I don't know if our younger members understand how much different the conference landscape was back then.  I am going to pick the 70's as an example.  The "power" conferences were the Big 10, Big 8, Pac 8, SWC, SEC, and the ACC.  The independents that stick out in my mind are Notre Dame, DePaul, and Marquette.  

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i am the old guy that doesn't like change, so i hated the conference realignments.  still don't like it, but just now starting to figure out who is in what conference.  it's tough getting old.  

I still catch myself from time to time having to really think who is in what conference.  Texas A & M always gives me problems!!!!!!!

Archived