Purdue Postgame Thread

32 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And overrated.  Soft and constantly crying to the refs.  A physical team with some talented bigs will knock them out of the tournament early.

This. Several teams near the top that would definitely have their way with them. Took solace in realizing that fact today 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

He also had a career 30 minutes of playing time!

Still doesn’t mean the gameplan worked on him. Morgan is our best player and Haas is their 3rd or 4th. Purdue will take this outcome every night if they could. The real win for us was RoJo on C Edwards. That kept us in the game. No one wants to play Haas the way we did tonight. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Still doesn’t mean the gameplan worked on him. Morgan is our best player and Haas is their 3rd or 4th. Purdue will take this outcome every night if they could. The real win for us was RoJo on C Edwards. That kept us in the game. No one wants to play Haas the way we did tonight. 

Doesn't mean the game plan didn't work either! We should have never been in this game and yet we were!

Can we all just agree the recurring narrative held?

The bottom line is this was a very winnable game, and it might or might not start looking like the first 35 minutes this year. 

IU beat themselves more than anything Purdue really did. Purdue played like the more mature team when it mattered the most, but Indiana controlled it's destiny from several points. The strategy was on point for a team that wasn't going to win shooting the lights out. It was a lot of the basic little areas that cost Indiana. Those opportunities were allowed to slip away, after showing so much promise for so long.

If there was ever a bittersweet Purdue loss, this was among them.

When Purdue faces a team with multiple long quick scoring threats, also playing sound defense they're going to get blasted. Purdue deserves credit for finding a way to get the win since the crowd stayed engaged, and it was rocking at several junctures.

I just think the way they converted at the rim, and the line was ball game after IU looked no less impressive going undermanned. Against a team like Purdue that isn't to be taken lightly.

Anyway, on to the next!!! GO IU!!!!! 

39 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I believe that we exposed PU today.

A team that has an inside player like Juwan who can outquick Haas AND has decent three point shooters will tear the Toilet Makers (nod to HTD) apart.

HTD uses "Smellermakers". I and several others regularly use toilet makers. :D

...and I'll agree...if they are final four material, the NCAA is as poor as I remember, but honestly, I felt that way before today.  Yesterday, Duke & North Carolina both lost at home. Kensucky is way down and I can't for the life of me think of a dominant team.  I guess the Smellermakers/Toiletmakers are as good as anyone this crappy season.

13 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Couldn't get one call down the stretch. Newkirk shouldn't play but crean left us 0 pgs. And Haas is a baby, biggest baby in the world.

I agree. The refs were a major factor. Two of Morgan's fouls were pretty weak in relation to how the game was called. I also find it unfathomable that Haas didn't have a single offensive foul. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Not to mention, most teams are going to have someone taller than 6'7" to go against their 7 footers! I'll take our game plan!

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I agree. The refs were a major factor. Two of Morgan's fouls were pretty weak in relation to how the game was called. I also find it unfathomable that Haas didn't have a single offensive foul. 

I had to look up the definition of travel and pivot foot midway through the second half. I thought I had misunderstood it. I hadn't.

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Not to mention, most teams are going to have someone taller than 6'7" to go against their 7 footers! I'll take our game plan!

And I don't think Haas gets those calls against another highly ranked team. McSwain got away with some on him, too, but man that guy could get called for a lot of fouls on offense. 

All in all a good game but for anyone who wants to talk about shooting and missed opportunities Purdue missed a lot of open 3s today that they don't miss. I think the commentators said something about they are the 1st or 2nd best three point shooting team in the country and they just flat out shot bad today (probably could be expected after how well they shot against michigan). 

Morgan played great, rojo played well, iu needs shooters, Freddie played well all things considered but he did get away with a ton of pushing that probably gets called most games.

As far as talent this iu team has a much higher average rating from recruit rankings so are fans giving pork chop credit for building a roster and developing his players?

As far as xs and os down the stretch anyone who doesn't give the nod to pork chop isn't being honest. He used time outs to rotate haas and haarms, he set plays to force Morgan to guard haas with 4 fouls, while Archie didn't seem to call any set plays and that led to a couple huge turn overs. 

There also were two huge calls, one took 3 points from purdue and momentum and the oother gave in two points on a questionable goal tend. 

Iu played well, much like duke game but lost to the better team. I don't remember anyone saying duke is overrated because we hung with them. Funny how jadded peoples opinions are just because we hate purdue.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and I'll agree...if they are final four material, the NCAA is as poor as I remember, but honestly, I felt that way before today.  Yesterday, Duke & North Carolina both lost at home. Kensucky is way down and I can't for the life of me think of a dominant team.  I guess the Smellermakers/Toiletmakers are as good as anyone this crappy season.

Kansas is no lock to win another B12 with that stetch, and not implying anything, but UCLA has fired better coaches after better seasons than they're having right now.

Right now it's looking like Virginia's year, but if it's this crazy this early, what is there to suggest it won't be in a totally different place in 5 weeks.

I think people in the media saying there isn't a clear cut #1 may be off the mark. 

It's just my opinion, but it's the one my money would go to if I had to bet on who looks the best.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And I don't think Haas gets those calls against another highly ranked team. McSwain got away with some on him, too, but man that guy could get called for a lot of fouls on offense. 

Got to say KoB, I used to disagree with you more than not, but lately we seem to be in sink somehow. Maybe, I'm just getting older and wiser!

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

College basketball has been weak for years because of all the good players leaving early.  You can't have a dominant team very often when the best trams are mainly made up of freshman.  In the past the players at UK and Duke would stay 4 years and that is when you have great teams.  also with those players all staying 4 years it would allow other great players go elsewhere and not just UK or Duke.  When you knew those players would stay players from other classes would not go there to play behind other grat players.

5 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

All in all a good game but for anyone who wants to talk about shooting and missed opportunities Purdue missed a lot of open 3s today that they don't miss. I think the commentators said something about they are the 1st or 2nd best three point shooting team in the country and they just flat out shot bad today (probably could be expected after how well they shot against michigan). 

Morgan played great, rojo played well, iu needs shooters, Freddie played well all things considered but he did get away with a ton of pushing that probably gets called most games.

As far as talent this iu team has a much higher average rating from recruit rankings so are fans giving pork chop credit for building a roster and developing his players?

As far as xs and os down the stretch anyone who doesn't give the nod to pork chop isn't being honest. He used time outs to rotate haas and haarms, he set plays to force Morgan to guard haas with 4 fouls, while Archie didn't seem to call any set plays and that led to a couple huge turn overs. 

There also were two huge calls, one took 3 points from purdue and momentum and the oother gave in two points on a questionable goal tend. 

Iu played well, much like duke game but lost to the better team. I don't remember anyone saying duke is overrated because we hung with them. Funny how jadded peoples opinions are just because we hate purdue.

Go away Purdue troll. That was anything but a questionable goal tend and Purdue got a ton of calls. 

3 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Kansas is no lock to win another B12 with that stetch, and not implying anything, but UCLA has fired better coaches after better seasons than they're having right now.

Right now it's looking like Virginia's year, but if it's this crazy this early, what is there to suggest it won't be in a totally different place in 5 weeks.

I think people in the media saying there isn't a clear cut #1 may be off the mark. 

It's just my opinion, but it's the one my money would go to if I had to bet on who looks the best.

I will be rooting for UVA if IU doesn't make a miraculous run here, but I would not discount Villanova. Excellent coach and experienced guards are a tough combination to beat.

Would love to see Bennett get his championship but it would be bittersweet if Guy plays well, knowing that Crean couldn't bring him to IU

Not a purdue troll but if it was so clear how did it not even get noticed by any of the coverage. On the replay they even said it was a good block and bad break. How red is the tint on your glasses.

Just admit that the better team won.

Be honest, when it mattered Archie got out coached again.

7 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I thought we didn't get any of home calls. Coming out of a time out around time PU used first timeout Hass threw a shoulder I think on McRoberts  no call PU ENDS UP WITH 3pt play. Wish we could get a little of that Wisconsin home cooking!!!

How about when Mathias went off a screen from Haas at the top of the key and Haas tackling McRoberts to the ground.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

College basketball has been weak for years because of all the good players leaving early.  You can't have a dominant team very often when the best trams are mainly made up of freshman.  In the past the players at UK and Duke would stay 4 years and that is when you have great teams.  also with those players all staying 4 years it would allow other great players go elsewhere and not just UK or Duke.  When you knew those players would stay players from other classes would not go there to play behind other grat players.

It's been talked about in another thread, but I think the biggest negative change in college basketball (although it had to happen) was when they eliminated freshman basketball! No longer can coaches develop top talent!

2 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

Not a purdue troll but if it was so clear how did it not even get noticed by any of the coverage. On the replay they even said it was a good block and bad break. How red is the tint on your glasses.

You are talking about the goal tend that gave us 57? The ball was in the cylinder and the backboard was smacked and shook. That's an easy call. 

The better team did win, but you're sitting here talking about how great Painter is and even going as far as to dispute PU is the more talented team just to make Painter look good. 

5 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

You are talking about the goal tend that gave us 57? The ball was in the cylinder and the backboard was smacked and shook. That's an easy call. 

The better team did win, but you're sitting here talking about how great Painter is and even going as far as to dispute PU is the more talented team just to make Painter look good. 

Archived