Purdue Postgame Thread

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Colin Hartman should give up basketball.  He hasn't showed anything other than the ability to get hurt.  Unfortunately he has been a disappointment this year due to injury and lack of contribution.  Great kid though.  And Davis would have fouled out in the first half trying to guard Haas.  We actually did pretty well with Morgan and McSwain. 

We need to stop making excuses for out losses.  We are a team getting better defensively game after game but we just are not talented enough on the offensive side (Morgan and RoJo excluded) to win consistently.  

But, i can see improvement in the team in terms of less turnovers and better defensively against all caliber or talented teams. 

This. Hartman wouldn’t have helped yesterday IMO. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

This. Hartman wouldn’t have helped yesterday IMO. 

If his 3 point shot was more consistent this year, i would disagree with you.  But he just doesn't have the shot this year.  To much time off from injury.

Purdue is a very talented team this year.  We will see if they can go deep in the tourney.  I just don't know if they can make the final 4.  a bad match up with a good 3 point shooting team might get them.

It is not an excuse that Deron Davis and Colin Hartman BOTH DID NOT PLAY LAST NIGHT VERSUS the pee yew smellermakers !! THAT IS CONCRETE FACT !!!!!!!!!!! and pee yew still sucks !! stboiler does not get college basketball if he thinks Collin Hartman [ and Deron Davis ] would have made a BIG difference in that game last night ! I can't believe he/she made such an uniformed statement !! 

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Every team sets illegal screens.  Purdue included.  Sometimes refs call them, sometimes they don't.  Even we set moving screen more than is called.  

We lost the game because we couldn't finish and shoot free throws.  Not because illegal screens were not called.  We played them tough for 35 minutes and came up short.  With no big time 3 point shooter and no one able to shoot above 60% at the free throw, we won't be able to win close games.

This is true, but that doesn't mean every team is equally guilty. We get called for many less under Archie because he teaches what to do better than Crean did. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

This is true, but that doesn't mean every team is equally guilty. We get called for many less under Archie because he teaches what to do better than Crean did. 

Maybe, or maybe we just run around more and don't set alot of screen to get guys open.  Or maybe we're just better than everyone else in setting screens.  Who knows.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Maybe, or maybe we just run around more and don't set alot of screen to get guys open.  Or maybe we're just better than everyone else in setting screens.  Who knows.

We set a lot more screens than we did under Crean and get called for fouls less. I never said we are better at setting screens than everyone else, but are you really saying every team sets them the same and it's just luck? Our illegal screen problems under Crean were very fixable...

Regarding coaching, I see some Belichick in Archie from the standpoint that he sees what the opponent does well, and he takes it away.  It's not just the schemes that are good.  It is the actual way he attacks and moves his pieces around the chessboard.  Yesterday was a great example.  IU played with a significant talent deficit against potentially the best team in the country, and hung in there, mostly due to the way the offense and defense were set up.

Regarding officiating, as a fan, I can get emotional about it at the time.  But, I like that Archie reminds the officials he is there but primarily tries to "play through it."  That's the right attitude even if folks like me get sidetracked by the officiating.  I have never seen Archie quoted on it, but he seems to have the attitude of being in the real world, where you have to overcome bad officiating.  And Archie isn't about making enemies.  

29 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

It is not an excuse that Deron Davis and Colin Hartman BOTH DID NOT PLAY LAST NIGHT VERSUS the pee yew smellermakers !! THAT IS CONCRETE FACT !!!!!!!!!!! and pee yew still sucks !! stboiler does not get college basketball if he thinks Collin Hartman [ and Deron Davis ] would have made a BIG difference in that game last night ! I can't believe he/she made such an uniformed statement !! 

I think Davis would’ve struggled against Haas. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What would Davis have done against Haas? 

Davis...at the very, very worst...would have been a 6'10, 250lbs average basketball player with 5 more fouls to give. 

And it's not just about what Davis would have done against Haas. How about, what would Purdue do against Morgan if both he and Davis were in the game? 

I'm not gonna sit here and even talk about "what if" with Davis, because he's injured, we lost...every team deals with injuries. But you asked.

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What would Davis have done against Haas? 

If he replies with a concrete answer are you going to reply or pretend nobody called your request for logic like a certain Bucket Game thread where you asked a similarly snarky question?   xD

What wouldn't Davis have done? 

I just want to know: What is the motive of implying your opinions in the form of a question when it goes nowhere from there? 

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We set a lot more screens than we did under Crean and get called for fouls less. I never said we are better at setting screens than everyone else, but are you really saying every team sets them the same and it's just luck? Our illegal screen problems under Crean were very fixable...

No we are definitely better now that we were. And not all screen are the same.  But pretty much the refs could call moving screen all day and night if they wanted on every team.  I am just saying we're nothing special with setting screens

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding coaching, I see some Belichick in Archie from the standpoint that he sees what the opponent does well, and he takes it away.  It's not just the schemes that are good.  It is the actual way he attacks and moves his pieces around the chessboard.  Yesterday was a great example.  IU played with a significant talent deficit against potentially the best team in the country, and hung in there, mostly due to the way the offense and defense were set up.

Regarding officiating, as a fan, I can get emotional about it at the time.  But, I like that Archie reminds the officials he is there but primarily tries to "play through it."  That's the right attitude even if folks like me get sidetracked by the officiating.  I have never seen Archie quoted on it, but he seems to have the attitude of being in the real world, where you have to overcome bad officiating.  And Archie isn't about making enemies.  

Good point on Archie with the officiating.  I don't think he wants us to get walked all over with bad calls, and I've seen him make a stink a few times.  Having said that, I think he knows this year has a relatively low ceiling so he is trying to build rapport with the refs so when we do need to get some calls for something that really matters, he can lay into them like some other coaches in conference have done.  

42 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

If he replies with a concrete answer are you going to reply or pretend nobody called your request for logic like a certain Bucket Game thread where you asked a similarly snarky question?   xD

What wouldn't Davis have done? 

I just want to know: What is the motive of implying your opinions in the form of a question when it goes nowhere from there? 

What’d I say in the bucket thread?

20 hours ago, Riverrat said:

Not a purdue troll but if it was so clear how did it not even get noticed by any of the coverage. On the replay they even said it was a good block and bad break. How red is the tint on your glasses.

Just admit that the better team won.

Be honest, when it mattered Archie got out coached again.

How did he get outcoached?  All I see is your blower set to high, but nothing is coming out. 

For whatever reason a team that came in ranked in the top 3, and couldn't put away a depleted roster until they beat themselves with a couple of late missed layups and TO's. 

If nothing Purdue did ever stopped Indiana cold the way they had been doing to some oof these other teams, then how did Miller get out-coached? 

2 IU Forwards 6-8 or taller who factored highly into Miller's transition plan missed the game. They have a 3rd(Race Thompson) Forward who is Redshirting. The 2(McSwain and Priller) scholarship players who are essentially Tom Crean roster filler, and a walk-on starter aren't consistent scoring factors, noor were they intended to be when brought in. Yet two  of them played a key part in keeping it close against a loaded team. Not coaching ?  What about the 2 open scholarships on top of all of this, right now?  Their offense comes primarily from Morgan, Johnson, and Newkirk. The rest of the rotation yesterday were Freshmen. Agree or not, but Purdue was a bigger favorite than the spread indicated, and Indiana kept it closer than the score indicated.

IU had a great gameplan that would've worked had the late execution been there. The former is on the coach, the latter is on the players. IU lost to a better team, and not to discount how good a win over IU feels , but it could've and probably should've been more decisive.  

If Painter is such a great coach, then why does Miller walk right into IU and get the #2 & 3 player in the state and the #1 player instantly becomes interested. Not to mention pulling in 3 other  4 star kids. If Painter is such a great coach why wasn't Purdue getting all of the kids Michigan ended up with from Indiana? Foor every Octeus, Vince Edwards, Carson Edwards, Haas , or Biggie to point to as recruiting successes, there is a Mitch McGary, "Little Big Dog" , Novak , Douglass, Bryant McIntosh, Jalen-Coleman Lands, Zak Irvin, etc that highlight the same failures that materialized at IU under Crean. This is despite their respective B1G Championships of recent. These shall remain a mystery , but Crean got the axe in-part for this very reason.Painter is a good coach growing into his job, but something just isn't right.Your own fellow Boilermaker fans would concur to some degree. It's hard to put a finger on since he's had some really good players come through there. if Painter flops in the NCAA Tournament yet again, it should be the hottest B!G seat that's not beneath Fran McCaffrey! 

Keep being oblivious if you wish. I'll keep being entertained. The bottom line is there is almost unanimous content within the IU base over Painter's tenure. We hope it never ends like many did with Crean when he was at Indiana!?! This stuff is making a relaxing day off work priceless! Thank you! ;)

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What’d I say in the bucket thread?

This isn't verbatim , but it was something along the lines of asking what IU showed that gives any reason to think they have a chance to get the Bucket back right away in 2018?

This was somewhere in the frenzy of IU fans exalting Brohm for going 7-6 and mostly playing up or down to the level of opposition in 2017.  I simply cited IU having the largest Senior class in 6 years providing leadership on top of the coaches. The best overall top to bottom talent perhaps ever at IU, especially at QB. There are other reasons, but I only posted the gist of it since it doesn't really matter for now until everyone knows how the personnel shake out for this fall.

It just isn't some far stretch, even losing Cobbs and Mack fro mthe WRs , and the tone of the question was like this one to HTD. 

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Davis...at the very, very worst...would have been a 6'10, 250lbs average basketball player with 5 more fouls to give. 

And it's not just about what Davis would have done against Haas. How about, what would Purdue do against Morgan if both he and Davis were in the game? 

I'm not gonna sit here and even talk about "what if" with Davis, because he's injured, we lost...every team deals with injuries. But you asked.

I think Davis and Morgan in together would have made it easier for Purdue to guard Morgan, not harder. Edwards could have at least slowed Morgan's penetration and then you'd have Hass on the weak side for blocks (where most blocks actually come from). Part of our advantage in that game was Haas having to guard Morgan. We smartly put Morgan out top and let him penetrate on Hass with no threat of the weakside block. The only negative to the strategy was that Morgan couldn't get his 3-pt shot going. If that was going down for him, we probably win the game. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Davis and Morgan in together would have made it easier for Purdue to guard Morgan, not harder. Edwards could have at least slowed Morgan's penetration and then you'd have Hass on the weak side for blocks (where most blocks actually come from). Part of our advantage in that game was Haas having to guard Morgan. We smartly put Morgan out top and let him penetrate on Hass with no threat of the weakside block. The only negative to the strategy was that Morgan couldn't get his 3-pt shot going. If that was going down for him, we probably win the game. 

Whose to say that Haas wouldn't have had a problem with Davis?  We will never know.

3 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Hartman and Davis haven't really made much of a difference this year.  Its the simple fact whether you like them or not.  Davis has been weak and spent more time on the bench than playing.  Colin just hasn't had anything this year.  Besides being hurt every other game or so, he really hasn't been able to to get consistent.  And to think just having those 2 on the court would have changed the outcome is foolish thinking. 

26 minutes ago, rico said:

Whose to say that Haas wouldn't have had a problem with Davis?  We will never know.

Because Davis would have been on the bench 4 minutes into the game with fouls.  Like he did almost every other game this year and they didn't have andre the giant playing for them.  Davis just didn't really advance this year.  I hope next year he blows up but i am not sure.

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Every team sets illegal screens.  Purdue included.  Sometimes refs call them, sometimes they don't.  Even we set moving screen more than is called.  

We lost the game because we couldn't finish and shoot free throws.  Not because illegal screens were not called.  We played them tough for 35 minutes and came up short.  With no big time 3 point shooter and no one able to shoot above 60% at the free throw, we won't be able to win close games.

There is a big difference between the run of the mill illegal screen where the screener is not quite set before contact with the defender occurs and the ones yesterday where Haas was actively moving into the defender before and especially after contact, not the mention the outright takedown he performed on McRoberts. It gives the offense quite the advantage to be able to do that. 

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Good points. Morgan was going to struggle on the block against Haas, so we made him extend. If Morgan played the same game against Edwards, he might not have had as much success... but...I don't think anyone can really guard Juwan. If they're bigger, he pulls them outside and penetrates. If size isn't an issue, he just works them with his quickness and post moves on the block. If opponents could stop him, it would have already happened. He's basically the only guy our opponent needs to game plan for. He just finishes so well regardless of the size of his opponent. Haas on the weak side would have been an issue...but again, I think we gameplan for that and I'm just not sure how much it would have effected Juwan.

3 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Good points. Morgan was going to struggle on the block against Haas, so we made him extend. If Morgan played the same game against Edwards, he might not have had as much success... but...I don't think anyone can really guard Juwan. If they're bigger, he pulls them outside and penetrates. If size isn't an issue, he just works them with his quickness and post moves on the block. If opponents could stop him, it would have already happened. He's basically the only guy our opponent needs to game plan for. He just finishes so well regardless of the size of his opponent. Haas on the weak side would have been an issue...but again, I think we gameplan for that and I'm just not sure how much it would have effected Juwan.

I understand what you’re saying, but the other point I made was that it would have allowed Haas to play off the ball and come in for the weak side block. Morgan basically took Haas out to the perimeter and blew by him, leaving no shot blocker to get in the way. 

Archived