USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

2 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Sources also coming out that Big Ten isn’t done after they land UclA and USC. I’m guessing Washington and Oregon

This makes the most sense (adding two more) and both of these schools would seem to be most logical although I could see Cal, Stanford etc. Nothing would surprise me at this point. 

32 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Sources also coming out that Big Ten isn’t done after they land UclA and USC. I’m guessing Washington and Oregon

I would say Stanford would be the next crown jewel along with Oregon (Nike money and great market and Washington next with once again great market in Seattle with tech money)

Everyone always underestimates academic money that is generated by research schools and Stanford is arguably the most prestigious school in country to due to proximity to Silicon Valley, tech, and San Francisco.  I would also say that Cal is coveted because of this as well and Colorado because of Denver market.  These are all of the tech cities growing by leaps and bounds in the west outside of maybe SLC. 

Edited by IUALUM03

No way Oregon or Washington is considered before Stanford.  Nike U or possibly the top academic school in all of America?  A school that just happens to have the best overall athletic program in the country to boot.  Oh, and let's not forget tv market size.  

• Like 5

If they are going to go to 16, they may as well make it 20 and have a Big 10 East and Big 10 West.  The name at least makes sense at that point.

You probably lose some of the traditional Big 10 schools out of IU's division though.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If they are going to go to 16, they may as well make it 20 and have a Big 10 East and Big 10 West.  The name at least makes sense at that point.

You probably lose some of the traditional Big 10 schools out of IU's division though.

Stanford, Oregon, Washington, and I hate ND but I would ask them again.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

BYU is saying 'crap, if we would have waited, we could be headed to Pac12 instead of Big12.

I'm going to toss out the names San Diego State and Colorado State as replacements for the Pac12.  A let down for sure for the conference, but they just about have to add at least one SoCal school, dont they?

No Montana State?

• Thanks 1

At 16 teams how would the schedule be for both sports.

Basketball 15 opponents for 20 games. Play 10 teams 1 time 5 teams 2 times.  Might go back to having travel partners and two games a week. Partners could be.

Rutgers/Maryland

PSU/OSU.

IU/PU.

Mich./MSU

UI/NW 

UW/Minn. 

Neb./ Iowa 

USC/UCLA 

You play your travel partner twice every year and two other sets of partners twice and the other sets once.

I like it.  If the Big Ten doesn't make this move, the SEC or ACC would have, and our conference would end up getting raided in the long term.

The Big Ten has solidified its position in basketball and football, not to mention all the other sports and academics these two schools bring with them as well.

In a decade, there will no longer be the power 5, it will be power 2 or power 3.

We live in a smaller world in every sense of the word; the regional conferences are a thing of the past at this point, whether we like it or not.

• Like 1

Who says the Big 10 is only going after Pac-12 teams for further expansion? 

The ACC and Big 12 have to be crapping their pants at this move. 

I do agree other West coast teams make sense for scheduling, but I'm not sure the Big 10 should limit the teams they look at simply over that...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Who says the Big 10 is only going after Pac-12 teams for further expansion? 

The ACC and Big 12 have to be crapping their pants at this move. 

I do agree other West coast teams make sense for scheduling, but I'm not sure the Big 10 should limit the teams they look at simply over that...

Is Baylor in the AAU?