NCAA Tournament

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Let’s have a football playoff with Arizona, Duke, Kansas, and IU.

Do you think that the powers that be would buy into that?

The "At Least Our Basketball Teams Are Good Playoff?" 

The Futility Bowl is the championship game? 

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Beating Purdue doesn’t really count?

but seriously some of my favorite ncaa memories are 

Butler 

Indiana State 

Loyola Marymount 

George Mason 

Davidson 

Northern Iowa (Faruq Manush) vs KU

Absolutely.  Without the Cinderella element, the NCAA Tournament, and therefore college basketball, is not nearly as relevant.  

I'm sure there are people in power that understand that.  The question is whether they end up having any influence or not.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Absolutely.  Without the Cinderella element, the NCAA Tournament, and therefore college basketball, is not nearly as relevant.  

I'm sure there are people in power that understand that.  The question is whether they end up having any influence or not.

Look on the bright side @5fouls, the NIT might become relevant again!

13 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Beating Purdue doesn’t really count?

but seriously some of my favorite ncaa memories are 

Butler 

Indiana State 

Loyola Marymount 

George Mason 

Davidson 

Northern Iowa (Faruq Manush) vs KU

Man that Butler and Duke 2010 final had the makings of what could have been the perfect upset in tournament history that year. Every time I watch a repeat of that game I keep thinking Hayward's shot was going to go in if only it had.

• Like 4

I doubt they squeeze out the smaller schools from March Madness.  IMO they structure football with big schools and give invitations to smaller schools to the Big Dance.  The highest rated college basketball game ever, to this day, is still ISU vs MSU.   The biggest audience ever involves an Indiana school, and that school is not in Bloomington.  That says it all.  

I think they will try to have their cake (football) and eat it too (March Madness).  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coach1K said:

Man that Butler and Duke 2010 final had the makings of what could have been the perfect upset in tournament history that year. Every time I watch a repeat of that game I keep thinking Hayward's shot was going to go in if only it had.

It would have been a movie….Hoosiers II….the college edition!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, 5fouls said:

Here is the link to the article you want to paste.

https://finance.zacks.com/much-money-college-sports-generate-10346.html

That said, here is a direct quote from that article. It's semantics.  But, the bottom line is that the NCAA tournament is the largest source of NCAA revenue.  It helps fund minor sports at colleges that don't have a football program.  

image.png.215984a9bca6415fc03cfec27dfd9793.png

Yeah, the "NCAA" there is the administrative org (governing body) run by Mark Emmert, not the member schools themselves. You cut it off before the comparison was made:

Football Is Still King

Men's basketball is the largest source of the NCAA's total revenue because the NCAA tournament brings in lots of money. But even before teams reach the tournament level, they generate revenue for their schools with individual basketball games. And at these school levels, basketball takes second chair to football for total revenue generated.

In fact, football garners more revenue than the next 35 other sports combined at Division I schools. On average, football brings in $31.9 million in revenue, while men's basketball (the second-highest grossing sport) comes in a distant second at $8.1 million. For reference, women's basketball brings in $1.8 million, while rowing brings in just $932,646.

It's true that for non football schools it is much more important as they have much smaller budgets - no football facilities to maintain, no 85 scholarships to fund, etc. But football pays the bills at P5 programs.

Also out of that $1 billion/year only a fraction actually gets back to the schools, something like $170 mil last year.