NCAAF/National Scene

rico

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

By the way...never knew until last night that Purdue gets to avoid Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio St this year. I see Purdue is getting Wisconsin schedule this year.

And Wisconsin and Iowa both play Ohio State as a crossover. Wisconsin also gets MSU and Iowa gets Michigan. 

Purdue had a huge opportunity last night and blew it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If he ran the ball multiple times and we got stuffed, people would complain that we weren’t aggressive and should’ve tried for a first down. I’m fine with him trusting Aidan there over the run game. 

Well then Aidan better complete those throws.  He did not.  

18 minutes ago, rico said:

2. People are going to question Purdue's late play-calling 

Purdue took a 31-28 lead on Chris Jefferson's pick six with 8:29 left in the game. The Boilermakers had two more possessions and chances to burn the clock, but ran 11 plays for 26 yards and, more importantly, only 3:43 off the clock. The Boilermakers called 13 passing plays to only one rush (two were called back on penalties), and the incompletions allowed Penn State to conserve timeouts.

Obviously, Purdue coach Jeff Brohm will be second-guessed, and I understand why. That said, I also understand Brohm's thought process. Purdue's rushing attack averaged a nation's worst 2.79 yards per carry last season. Against Penn State it improved to 4.1 per carry (not including sacks). Brohm probably believed running the ball would burn more clock but lead to three-and-outs. He chose to be aggressive and lean on what his team does best: throw the ball. It didn't work, so he'll have to live with the consequences, but I didn't hate the decision, even if I didn't entirely agree.

I would trust AOC over their run game. I never thought they would run it late in that game. It just wasn't there and you certainly weren't going 75+ yards on PSU with a ground and pound attack. 

Purdue lost that game at the end of the 1st half. You don't get to blunder 10-14 points(Purdue was getting at least 3 and PSU wouldn't have had 7 more)... in a critical juncture like that, and then beat teams like PSU. Not how this works. 

Purdue's players lost that game. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'll be real... I think Jeff Brohm would be the first person to tell you, he would have preferred to run the ball and the clock in that game. 

My best friend played OLine at Northern Illinois back in early 90's. He was texting me last night there isn't anything in the world more frustrating in a situation like that. The players feel like the staff has zero faith in them to run this game out. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would trust AOC over their run game. I never thought they would run it late in that game. It just wasn't there and you certainly weren't going 75+ yards on PSU with a ground and pound attack. 

Purdue lost that game at the end of the 1st half. You don't get to blunder 10-14 points(Purdue was getting at least 3 and PSU wouldn't have had 7 more)... in a critical juncture like that, and then beat teams like PSU. Not how this works. 

Hit the nail on the head. That swing at the end of the half is manageable if you’re playing a Rutgers/Maryland but not against PSU when they’ve got all the talent across the board. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Leading up to halftime was brutal for the Boilers for sure.  They overcame that and were in a position to win.  Lack of clock management/passing game failed them cost them a win.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Hit the nail on the head. That swing at the end of the half is manageable if you’re playing a Rutgers/Maryland but not against PSU when they’ve got all the talent across the board. 

It's just not going to happen. When Indiana beat PSU... the stars aligned. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I also think the devil is in the details of that write up. If I'm reading it correctly, the writer says Purdue only ran the ball one time during that stretch, except for the two other times they ran it an got called for penalties. Did I read that write?

If so, then they actually called three running plays, and if they were called for penalties on two then they were most likely behind the chains and needing to pass in that situation where a first down or two can end the game. 

It's not always as simple as just looking at the raw numbers, context can matter. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I also think the devil is in the details of that write up. If I'm reading it correctly, the writer says Purdue only ran the ball one time during that stretch, except for the two other times they ran it an got called for penalties. Did I read that write?

If so, then they actually called three running plays, and if they were called for penalties on two then they were most likely behind the chains and needing to pass in that situation where a first down or two can end the game. 

It's not always as simple as just looking at the raw numbers, context can matter. 

THANK YOU!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wait you mean context is important?! 😂

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, rico said:

That may be, but simply put the Boilers failed at milking the clock.  It happens.

Agree, though I would more blame it on the player miscues (penalties in this case) as opposed to play-calling failures. Or at least a pretty big mix of the two. The penalties put them in difficult play-calling situations. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, though I would more blame it on the player miscues (penalties in this case) as opposed to play-calling failures. Or at least a pretty big mix of the two. The penalties put them in difficult play-calling situations. 

This. And all of that stuff at the end of the first half wasn’t on Brohm. Players have to execute. 

• Like 1