NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Why though?  The argument has always been that the sports teams drive money to the school, I think at a certain point that well is going to run dry though.  

This whole thing has really gotten to a point where you have to question the sanity of the system.  "Athletics brings in a bunch of money" that all gets recycled back to athletics, to the point where we are now donating so that guys like Race Thompson can get six figure pay days.

All the money these kids make gets recycled back right to the few hundred? kids in athletics.  This isn't NIL, this is pay for play.  The whole system is a joke.  And if we happen to benefit from it on the basketball side, who cares, it is still a joke.

Under this model, can anyone argue with a straight face that this somehow advances the mission of the Universities?  I can't.  These should all turn into Euro style clubs and the academics should walk away from the whole mess.  None of these guys is worth six figures at this level without the school's name across their chest.  There is nobody lining up to pay Race Thompson 6 figures to play basketball if INDIANA (University) isn't on his uniform.  The schools are too chicken to do it, but they should call the bluff and start shutting down the programs.  I guarantee that there wouldn't be much change to the normal students at all.

Hey, I'm not a Fox Sports executive.   I didn't cut a 7 year 7 Billion dollar deal with the conference.  So as we can see, the well isn't drying up, at least not in the next 7 years.  

It's absolutely a joke.  I agree and want a different model.  My argument has been for years, the money needs to go to the players to an extent.   NFL and NBA players get what 49 or 50% of profits.  With 80 million a year just coming in from the tv contract, 40 million could still get dumped into the school.  Not to mention all the sales and marketing dollars from other streams such as beer and Adidas.   

And no, the school is not going to shut down a 80 million dollar per year revenue stream.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still think, if they want to get paid they can skip college. Them playing for a university is a choice.

My company had almost $5 billion in revenue last fiscal year.  Making money for other people is life and its part of the deal. Best these kids learn that early because most will be entering the workforce sooner rather than later.  Most will start out with advantages average college graduates won't have. 

$750k as a recruit? Why?  What results have they produced to earn that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

This isn't what college sports is supposed to be about. I am for, if these players want to be paid go pro and leave college sports for players who want to play in college.  Let the NFL and the NBA pay for these guys to train to be a professional. Nobody is making them go to college so if you don't le the system then go to college.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This isn't what college sports is supposed to be about. I am for, if these players want to be paid go pro and leave college sports for players who want to play in college.  Let the NFL and the NBA pay for these guys to train to be a professional. Nobody is making them go to college so if you don't le the system then go to college.

I wonder how many college athletes are now making money that will never make more than a million dollars professionally?  My guess is a lot.  

Am I a little jealous? Sure.  We also have the choice not to participate in some so called philanthropic NIL sham.  But let's not be mad when the next 5 star comes in and replaces Trayce or JHS as the Adidas ambassador.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I wonder how many college athletes are now making money that will never make more than a million dollars professionally?  My guess is a lot.  

Am I a little jealous? Sure.  We also have the choice not to participate in some so called philanthropic NIL sham.  But let's not be mad when the next 5 star comes in and replaces Trayce or JHS as the Adidas ambassador.   

For me it's not so much that they are making money. If they can get paid for marketing themselves thats great. The schools should help them stay within the rules and stay legal. 

It's the argument they should get paid because the NCAA and the schools get all this money because of them is what I don't like. That's just business and that's the way it works. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

For me it's not so much that they are making money. If they can get paid for marketing themselves thats great. The schools should help them stay within the rules and stay legal. 

It's the argument they should get paid because the NCAA and the schools get all this money because of them is what I don't like. That's just business and that's the way it works. 

What type of business has employees that make zero of the revenue?

If you said college athletes,  bar tenders, and waiters, you would be correct.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So their scholarship has no value? I guess they could have the option of getting paid or taking a scholarship. 

They also have the added benefit of having college athlete on their resume and the connections that result from that. 

I went to college and had the benefit of having to pay for it. 

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So their scholarship has no value? I guess they could have the option of getting paid or taking a scholarship. 

They also have the added benefit of having college athlete on their resume and the connections that result from that. 

I went to college and had the benefit of having to pay for it. 

It has an estimated value(according to Scott's math) of around 50k.  Of all the scholarship athletes at IU, let's say 300 x 50k, that's 15 million.  The school is in line to get 80 million a year, just from Fox Sports/B1G.  

One day the courts will tear the entire thing down.  Enjoy it while it last.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

College athletes are already making over $50,000 so I don't get where they didn't get any piece of the pie. I am a courier for a laboratory that is a huge corporation.  They have a set amount that they will pay couriers and if we don't like them we will be looking for another job. I can't just say that I am the one out there that is doing a lot of the work so I need a better percentage of the revenue 

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It has an estimated value(according to Scott's math) of around 50k.  Of all the scholarship athletes at IU, let's say 300 x 50k, that's 15 million.  The school is in line to get 80 million a year, just from Fox Sports/B1G.  

There is more to the expenses of college sports than just scholarship . money.

Just now, IU Scott said:

College athletes are already making over $50,000 so I don't get where they didn't get any piece of the pie. I am a courier for a laboratory that is a huge corporation.  They have a set amount that they will pay couriers and if we don't like them we will be looking for another job. I can't just say that I am the one out there that is doing a lot of the work so I need a better percentage of the revenue 

Scott, I already credited you on the 50 k.  

If we were huge fast skilled humans that drew 10s and 100s of thousands of eye balls, they would throw money at us too.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And that’s beyond generous. we’ve had this argument over and over; the cost of a scholarship is basically just food and housing. The net expense of tuition is basically nothing - they’re just throwing them in a class 50 other paying students. We need to be looking at the net cost, not the ‘MSRP’ or ‘estimated value’ of this expense. I’d guess it’s closer to $20k/athlete for the most pampered of athletes. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

There is more to the expenses of college sports than just scholarship . money.

I can't remember who said it, DD or Seth Greenberg?  Estimated that at a program like IU they are investing about 1-1.2 million a year per basketball athlete.   The point was they will never be treated like this outside of the NBA and they could see guys like Trayce, the UK kid, Timmerman, Dickenson playing g out all of their eligibility,  especially factoring in NIL money on top of that.  They would be fools to go g league or overseas if they aren't  guaranteed an NBA contract.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I can't remember who said it, DD or Seth Greenberg?  Estimated that at a program like IU they are investing about 1-1.2 million a year per basketball athlete.   The point was they will never be treated like this outside of the NBA and they could see guys like Trayce, the UK kid, Timmerman, Dickenson playing g out all of their eligibility,  especially factoring in NIL money on top of that.  They would be fools to go g league or overseas if they aren't  guaranteed an NBA contract.   

Well now that's something to consider.  I definitely would prefer keeping a great college player around longer if it helps the team and program. 

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The rest of that money is spent on the athletes too though.  It pays for the lovely practice facilities they use, the employees (tutors, food services, etc.) that dote over them.  The equipment they train on that must be regularly updated.  The buildings and fields they play on.  I think McRobbie used money to build one academic building but the majority of athletic money at every school goes right back to the athletes either directly or indirectly.

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well now that's something to consider.  I definitely would prefer keeping a great college player around longer if it helps the team and program. 

And it helps college basketball in general. The quality of the game will be better without some of the best athlete’s leaving. 

• Like 1

IMO, NIL should never be allowed to lure recruits from high school. After all, isn't the idea supposed to be centered around the idea that you have made a Name, Image, or Likeness that is attractive to advertisers, alums, etc., because you have shown some form of competence/excellence, at the collegiate level? These high-level high school players have done nothing to earn the right to ask for such exorbitant amounts. Potential is a dangerous word.

If the NCAA were smart ( I know, I know) they would rewrite the NIL rule to exclude any player being offered or receiving compensation until their second year of competition.

Edited by Steubenhoosier