Hoosier Football: 2022 Season

rico

How much of an impact was Bedford's injury to this OL? I mean, he was the first major injury to an OL that desperately needed his size, talent and experience. So far, we have seen NO ONE that has remotely come close to filling his shoes...even by committee. Seriously, where are we if Bedford is healthy and having an amazing year? If so, it affects both sides of the ball. The offense, in theory should appear a little better, allowing just a bit more time for the QB to throw or more push for the or RB's to find a seam......, not to mention, staying on the field longer and sustaining drives. This would give the defense more time to recover and catch a breath. I know there are much more elements to IU's game plan and eventual success. I have been racking my brain, trying to peel the layers back of IU's downfall this year. With Bedford, I think it almost guarantees us sitting with at least 4 or 5 wins right now. Yes I said guarantees! I think his injury and his missing skill set on the field was/is the catalyst to IU's sinking ship. JMHO.

On 11/5/2022 at 3:16 PM, IU Scott said:

If I were Tuttle and going to transfer I wouldn't play. Also if I were the coach I am not going to suna guy who doesn't want to be here any longer

I would say the opposite, Jack wants to be here but wants to go where the coaches will give him a chance.  This young man knew the risk and went out there and did a heck of a job before that terrible Oline got him hurt.  The players voted him captain for a reason, the issue isn’t the player.

I watched  Coach Allen press conference talking about Ohio St. He looked like a coach who didn’t want to be there. Like he’s thrown in the towel. I can only imagine how beat up he feels. 
I bet he wishes he’d did more to keep some of the assistants that left. You know some of them told him to get rid of Hiller. 

47 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I watched  Coach Allen press conference talking about Ohio St. He looked like a coach who didn’t want to be there. Like he’s thrown in the towel. I can only imagine how beat up he feels. 
I bet he wishes he’d did more to keep some of the assistants that left. You know some of them told him to get rid of Hiller. 

Hopefully he leaves. I wouldn't feel good either knowing you have no chance of winning and it's your fault.

We should of never hired a cheerleader for a coach. Dolson should be fired too!

9 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Hopefully he leaves. I wouldn't feel good either knowing you have no chance of winning and it's your fault.

In Dolson defense we had a great two year run. Things were trending up. It seems someone would have recognized that these assistants had more to do with it then given credit. 
That being said it is a black mark against Dolson that he wrote such a ridiculous contact so early without an affordable out for performance. 

Edited by OLDIUFAN

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Dolson hired Woodson. He also has a great women's BB coach. Soccer is going strong. Baseball is competitive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Dolson hired Woodson. He also has a great women's BB coach. Soccer is going strong. Baseball is competitive. 

I don't believe he hired either of those coaches. Allen's first year was with Wilson's players, his second years success had a lot to do with COVID-19. He has bombed last year, this year and for the foreseeable future.

Allen is paid to win and keep improving the program and he shouldn't of been rewarded for doing his job.

I don't know about you but making a 25 million dollar error would get most people fired, unless of course you work for the government or in athletics.

And for me the jury is still out on Woodson. I hope he is the man and brings Indiana back to where it belongs but after 20 plus years of waiting I will believe it when I see it.

Have a great day my friend.

14 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I don't believe he hired either of those coaches. Allen's first year was with Wilson's players, his second years success had a lot to do with COVID-19. He has bombed last year, this year and for the foreseeable future.

Allen is paid to win and keep improving the program and he shouldn't of been rewarded for doing his job.

I don't know about you but making a 25 million dollar error would get most people fired, unless of course you work for the government or in athletics.

And for me the jury is still out on Woodson. I hope he is the man and brings Indiana back to where it belongs but after 20 plus years of waiting I will believe it when I see it.

Have a great day my friend.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't a major component of a buyout to protect against other schools from poaching the coach? Like Washington had to pay San Jose St. $1.5M to hire DeBoer. I do understand it's protection for the coach themself, but I would assume if a school wants to fire you for performance purposes and the buyout is huge, negotiations would take place and/or there are some sort of performance based aspects to the buyout (consecutive losing records, consecutive seasons without a bowl etc.) 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't a major component of a buyout to protect against other schools from poaching the coach? Like Washington had to pay San Jose St. $1.5M to hire DeBoer. I do understand it's protection for the coach themself, but I would assume if a school wants to fire you for performance purposes and the buyout is huge, negotiations would take place and/or there are some sort of performance based aspects to the buyout (consecutive losing records, consecutive seasons without a bowl etc.) 

You are correct, however 25 million bucks for a non-established coach is ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe they should renegotiate the contract and buyout since he has had two shit years and the next two years will probably we just as bad. 

Also, if a school wants a coach bad enough the buyout will more than likely not be an issue. 

16 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

You are correct, however 25 million bucks for a non-established coach is ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe they should renegotiate the contract and buyout since he has had two shit years and the next two years will probably we just as bad. 

Also, if a school wants a coach bad enough the buyout will more than likely not be an issue. 

I would assume if things continue to bottom out, CTA would resign before he'd get fired and they would reach some sort of agreement on any payout. 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I would assume if things continue to bottom out, CTA would resign before he'd get fired and they would reach some sort of agreement on any payout. 

I hope this happens sooner rather than later and we don't promote any of the assistant coaches. I hope before I die that Indiana can get this ship heading in the right direction. 

Thanks for the banter back and forth. 

4 hours ago, jefftheref said:

I hope this happens sooner rather than later and we don't promote any of the assistant coaches. I hope before I die that Indiana can get this ship heading in the right direction. 

Thanks for the banter back and forth. 

I agree. I think this is all very speculative. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to it. Last year was hugely disappointing, but I think this year is worse. The only bright spot was the Illinois game and if you re-watch it (I DVR'd it), they basically handed it to us. An ok o-line and we'd have a couple of more wins. But both lines have been an issue during CTA's entire tenure, so there's not much hope that will turn around all of sudden. He's recruited well, but not in the trenches and that's where IU is getting killed. They have tried to overcome the issues through the portal, but that hasn't worked. I have been pretty optimistic, but this has been a really, really, bad two year stretch. And the PSU game was super disappointing coming off a bye. You can't let this become a complete disaster if it isn't already.  CTA was a good story, but we need more than that. I just think he's in over his head. I was worried when he decided to over see the defense again, that meant he didn't have confidence in his own hires. A good HC either has success calling plays (offense or defense) or knows how to delegate.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rico said:

Everybody ready for another embarrassment on national TV?

I guess it's the blind loyalist in me, but I hope they put up a fight, then win the last two.  This season has been extremely disappointing,  but I'd love for the players and coaches to finish with something positive. History tells me that won't happen, but if I relied on history,  I wouldn't be an IU football fan! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I guess it's the blind loyalist in me, but I hope they put up a fight, then win the last two.  This season has been extremely disappointing,  but I'd love for the players and coaches to finish with something positive. History tells me that won't happen, but if I relied on history,  I wouldn't be an IU football fan! 

^^^^^ This!..... Coach and the boys know what's at stake and what needs done. The real question is how bad do they want it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

^^^^^ This!..... Coach and the boys know what's at stake and what needs done. The real question is how bad do they want it?

I will probably watch until tOSU is up by three TDs then switch to the Tennessee/Mizzou game.  So I will only miss a few minutes of the Vols' game