Indiana ranked preseason #6 by Lindy’s Sports

KDB

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

6th in the B1G would probably closer prediction. I’ll be happy with a top 20 finish. I don’t see us breaking into the top 10. Nice to just see a number by our name.

We finish 6th in the Big 10, most, including myself, will consider at least the conference season a failure... Barring injury, that is... 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 12:14 AM, 5fouls said:

Also found it interesting that the Magazine made the following 'Best-Of' picks.  All products of Indiana high school basketball.

Best High School Senior - Xavier Booker (Indy-Cathedral)

Best High School Junior - Flory Bidunga (Kokomo)

Best JUCO Player transferring to D1 - Sean East (Romeo's former teammate at New Albany who is headed to Missouri)

Sean should've already been in D1... at least i thought so

Edited by Dawg Bawls

3 hours ago, rico said:

giphy.gif

Shooting is the obvious concern but I'm still bullish on this season.  Some people are sour because of last season but what many don't realize is that outside of St. Mary's and UM at home we were in every game.  We lost so many close games that we should've won.  Now we return basically everyone and add in a couple 5 stars.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, rico said:

giphy.gif

I just don’t see this a top 10 team at all. I see us in the 20-25 range. This team still hasn’t really learned how to string wins together for long stretches which is what is required to be top 10. On top of that we have a very challenging non-conference with other top 10 teams that I don’t see us winning so we might be digging out early. Seems once the media pegs you a spot they don’t move you up a whole lot unless you outperform their expectations.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Shooting is the obvious concern but I'm still bullish on this season.  Some people are sour because of last season but what many don't realize is that outside of St. Mary's and UM at home we were in every game.  We lost so many close games that we should've won.  Now we return basically everyone and add in a couple 5 stars.  

Winning time is my concern. Learning to finish games…

16 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

With the youth in today's games, how many current teams have already learned this, or how to string wins together?

If anyrhing, our experience should give us a bit of a head start in that department 

I think those two games in the BTT against UM and UI shows that they have learned how to close out games.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I just don’t see this a top 10 team at all. I see us in the 20-25 range. This team still hasn’t really learned how to string wins together for long stretches which is what is required to be top 10. On top of that we have a very challenging non-conference with other top 10 teams that I don’t see us winning so we might be digging out early. Seems once the media pegs you a spot they don’t move you up a whole lot unless you outperform their expectations.

Wait, what? Did I fall asleep and miss the first part of the season?

”This team “ hasn’t played a game yet. How can you say anything about what they have or haven’t learned? Different group, new guys. Brought in some players who are used to winning against high levels of competition. 

Each season, each team is a whole new deal. Different talent, different team dynamics. Gotta let this team develop their own identity and determine for themselves what they can/can’t accomplish 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wait, what? Did I fall asleep and miss the first part of the season?

”This team “ hasn’t played a game yet. How can you say anything about what they have or haven’t learned? Different group, new guys. Brought in some players who are used to winning against high levels of competition. 

Each season, each team is a whole new deal. Different talent, different team dynamics. Gotta let this team develop their own identity and determine for themselves what they can/can’t accomplish 

This is still 80% the same team as last year. Am I saying we won’t be better…heck no. We barely squeaked in last year and I’m talking about a top 25 team this year. That said let’s not act like this is a vastly different group of players. We have 1 freshman that might play significant minutes for us and let’s not act like we have any clue he will fair any better than the last 5 star we brought in last year. I hope he is but this is a veteran team…but also a team that has struggled to win consistently and focus and knuckle down. Team that gave up big leads and lost some games we had no business losing. Have they grown up…I hope but the one thing that is the hardest to teach is that little difference…that little extra resolve that is the difference in losing and winning. Also…we still don’t have any shooting on this roster. We will again be in the bottom of the big ten in 3pt shooting…and it’s almost impossible to be a top 10 team (which is the only point I made) without legit shooters to stretch the floor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

With the youth in today's games, how many current teams have already learned this, or how to string wins together?

If anyrhing, our experience should give us a bit of a head start in that department 

Maybe…it certainly was a step in the right direction…but man…the things that teams do to close out opponents. Hit free throws, value possessions, and knock down shots…those are still our weak spots. I did say we should be a top 25 team….I don’t know what is so controversial in saying we won’t be a top 10 team…because mainly this team doesn’t consistently shoot the ball well. We still have no threat from 3…top 10 teams are pretty elite…I just don’t see that quality on this team. But I do think we will be in the top 3 of the league and stick around the 17-25 range all season.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This is still 80% the same team as last year. Am I saying we won’t be better…heck no. We barely squeaked in last year and I’m talking about a top 25 team this year. That said let’s not act like this is a vastly different group of players. We have 1 freshman that might play significant minutes for us and let’s not act like we have any clue he will fair any better than the last 5 star we brought in last year. I hope he is but this is a veteran team…but also a team that has struggled to win consistently and focus and knuckle down. Team that gave up big leads and lost some games we had no business losing. Have they grown up…I hope but the one thing that is the hardest to teach is that little difference…that little extra resolve that is the difference in losing and winning. Also…we still don’t have any shooting on this roster. We will again be in the bottom of the big ten in 3pt shooting…and it’s almost impossible to be a top 10 team (which is the only point I made) without legit shooters to stretch the floor.

Are you trying to suck all the air out of my balloon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Sweet Sixteen or bust baby!

I think that is very reasonable. If we were to be a top #6 team we likely would be a 2 seed and that’s elite eight/final four talk honestly…does anyone here think that is the quality of team we have? If yes…I need some of what your drinking…especially after the past couple weeks of football between colts and Hoosiers lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think those two games in the BTT against UM and UI shows that they have learned how to close out games.

🤷‍♂️ For everyone close win we have two close/given up lead losses. OSU/Wisconsin 2x/Rutgers/Penn st/Iowa….I want to believe they’ve turned the corner…but I guess we will just have to see….but when you are a top 6 team you are likely winning your conference and maybe dropping 5-6 games all year…that seems like a big ask given our schedule.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

🤷‍♂️ For everyone close win we have two close/given up lead losses. OSU/Wisconsin 2x/Rutgers/Penn st/Iowa….I want to believe they’ve turned the corner…but I guess we will just have to see….but when you are a top 6 team you are likely winning your conference and maybe dropping 5-6 games all year…that seems like a big ask given our schedule.

I don't think we are a top 6 team in the country but I do think we are the best team in the big ten.

50 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Last year there were only two teams that ended the season with less than 6 losses and neither made the Final Four. In the last ranking of the season, teams 1-4 lost 6,10,7,and 8 games respectively.

Certainly this team has the capability to finish with those kinds of records 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Maybe…it certainly was a step in the right direction…but man…the things that teams do to close out opponents. Hit free throws, value possessions, and knock down shots…those are still our weak spots. I did say we should be a top 25 team….I don’t know what is so controversial in saying we won’t be a top 10 team…because mainly this team doesn’t consistently shoot the ball well. We still have no threat from 3…top 10 teams are pretty elite…I just don’t see that quality on this team. But I do think we will be in the top 3 of the league and stick around the 17-25 range all season.

Sixth in the B1G? You’ve always been a skeptic but I hope you’re really an IU fan.  That’s out there barring injury.  

I think people put to much importance on the returning players. How does a team that limped into the tournament all of a sudden become a top team? It didn’t work for Cody and Vic?

That being said, with some of the scuttle butt I’m thinking we may see a different team on the floor. Maybe not at first but when it counts.