Something Dakich said at the end of the OSU game...

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just my opinion, but then shame on the fan base. Honoring the programs great players should bring the fan base, former players and alumni together. 

I agree Gleas, and it  should bring everyone together, but we all know it would risk it. Or at least that's what I draw from this sample size of fans.

The big difference is this place can do it without splintering apart because it's an awesome group!

The other IU sites I've personally been on lack the same sense of community, and that's where I start pointing to the great Mods here..

This board could go on ,and argue it out and come out better than before, but the other places I've read on would erupt into a shitstorm of immaturity and insults.  

Edit: For the record if they did, I would get over it whether I like it or not.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, rico said:

Yes, but there is nothing wrong with hanging stuff in the rafters.  And speaking of traditions........What happened to the Indiana Hurryin' Hoosiers?

Well, given how attendance in the upper bowl is basically non-existent, we could hang stuff up there and not block anyone's view.

:coffee:

4,200 balcony seats. Take those out, and Indiana still out seats Cameron Indoor Stadium by some 4,000 seats.  Bring back a winning team and AH will be filled to the rafters again.  Nearly double what Cameron can accommodate.  Easy to fill a small stadium, when your team is winning. Harder to fill a larger gym, when they aren't.  Just look around the rest of the B1G this year.  Illinois for example.  And even Penn State and Iowa as well. 

If you are winning.... the fans will come. 

I might very well just be in a mood. I'm so very respectful of our past. We love it. I love it. It's in us as fans but I'm so tired of us talking about the past. We deserve titles. And I wish I could argue with the local Indy radio guys who say we are closer to Nebraska football versus what we all knew and loved. Makes me ticked inside. 

On 2/1/2018 at 1:22 PM, BGleas said:

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to honoring individual players? Who cares about tradition in this case? IU apparently has a problem with alumni relations (if what Dakich says is true) and something like recognizing players could go a long way in recreating a "family" atmosphere that used to be there, but has lost it's way the last 20+ years. Why not make the great players of the past feel appreciated, welcome, and part of the family?

I personally think "name on the front, not the back" is one of the dumbest cliches in sports. Honoring individuals takes nothing away from the team, and quite frankly we're running out of teams to honor, so why not move on to the great players? Don't you think it would have an impact if a guy like Langford was in attendance at Victor Oladipo Night? 1) It would be a great atmosphere and 2) it would show a recruit that IU takes care of their players and honors them for their dedication and great achievement. 

Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would be against that?

Awesome post, could not agree more!

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I might very well just be in a mood. I'm so very respectful of our past. We love it. I love it. It's in us as fans but I'm so tired of us talking about the past. We deserve titles. And I wish I could argue with the local Indy radio guys who say we are closer to Nebraska football versus what we all knew and loved. Makes me ticked inside. 

Why doe we deserve titles anymore than any other team and that is one thing I hate about our fan base is our entitlement.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why doe we deserve titles anymore than any other team and that is one thing I hate about our fan base is our entitlement.

Simply put. Because of the resources, fan support, talent in this state, state of the art facilities, track record of sending kids to pros......I don't think it's much to ask for a title every 30 years. Kentucky demands it. They spent the $ and got one. Kansas does. Carolina does. Duke does......why not us??

another comment on his radio show that i thought was interesting... He was saying that he could tell what archie was trying to do with the program and thought he would eventually get to the point where we would be having 20 win seasons, but...he also intimated that archie might recruit on the edge to get there. I don’t know if he meant that in contrast to crean or he’s saying that archie would take athletes with questionable pasts?   anyone else hear this?

13 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

another comment on his radio show that i thought was interesting... He was saying that he could tell what archie was trying to do with the program and thought he would eventually get to the point where we would be having 20 win seasons, but...he also intimated that archie might recruit on the edge to get there. I don’t know if he meant that in contrast to crean or he’s saying that archie would take athletes with questionable pasts?   anyone else hear this?

Eventually we will have 20 win seasons? Haha. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Simply put. Because of the resources, fan support, talent in this state, state of the art facilities, track record of sending kids to pros......I don't think it's much to ask for a title every 30 years. Kentucky demands it. They spent the $ and got one. Kansas does. Carolina does. Duke does......why not us??

We all want to win championships but we don't deserve anymore than any other team.  You couldn't be more right that UK pays big money to win but I wouldn't ever want to be like UK.

1 hour ago, iufaninand said:

I too heard this also.  Not sure what he was trying to imply.

Crean recruited Hollowell, Holt, Devin Davis, Patterson, and Robinson.  Looking back were they not questionable?  Not sure if any of these guys contributed to 20 win seasons

1 hour ago, iufaninand said:

Maybe he was referring to kids that are associated with handlers?

2 hours ago, iufaninand said:

I would say he’s still pissed we didn’t hire Alford. I doubt you will ever hear him say anything good about Archie, even if we win a title!

On 2/1/2018 at 1:22 PM, BGleas said:

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to honoring individual players? Who cares about tradition in this case? IU apparently has a problem with alumni relations (if what Dakich says is true) and something like recognizing players could go a long way in recreating a "family" atmosphere that used to be there, but has lost it's way the last 20+ years. Why not make the great players of the past feel appreciated, welcome, and part of the family?

I personally think "name on the front, not the back" is one of the dumbest cliches in sports. Honoring individuals takes nothing away from the team, and quite frankly we're running out of teams to honor, so why not move on to the great players? Don't you think it would have an impact if a guy like Langford was in attendance at Victor Oladipo Night? 1) It would be a great atmosphere and 2) it would show a recruit that IU takes care of their players and honors them for their dedication and great achievement. 

Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would be against that?

Agree. What I think would be interesting and also a pretty cool wrinkle is that it would show a name on the back of the jersey which is something we've never seen at IU. I think that is an added bonus for honoring a player. They finally get their name on the back of an IU jersey. That would be a significant honor in my opinion. Not only do you get your jersey in the rafters, but you finally get your name on the back. 

Archived