Cincinnati Postgame Thread

KDB

I know we have recruited a lot better for IU standards but still not good enough to compete in the Big Ten. This year's class is going to be small and right now not that good of a class.  You think on a college roster where you probably have 16 scholarship O Lineman so you would think you would have some quality depth in case of injuries.

The big problem that is IU football is the chicken or the egg which comes first. It is said to win you need great players to win and you have to win to get good players. So if you are losing that means you don't have good enough players so how will you ever get good enough players to win.  That is why the majority of the top players keep going to the same top programs and you see the same teams on top.

57 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wanting to bench Bazelak is laughable though. 

You honestly think Tuttle is that much worse than him? Bazelak is inconsistent and his overthrows lead to INTs. Is it his fault? Maybe not. There are high school teams with better OLs than us. If we’re going to play like this with Bazelak, then go with Tuttle. I think benching him is as much to do with his play and the fact that Tuttle has the locker room. He’s paid his dues and is arguably just as good according to the coaching staff who needed 100% of the off season to make a decision. Maybe better? Lets find out. He’s a team captain and earned the shot. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Pass protection sucks mightily. Defense needs to get the deep coverages fixed. Mistakes galore. Just sloppy football despite the injuries up front. I don't think there's a challenge to Bazelak. He needs better protection, better accuracy, and better decisions though.

Edited by D-BONE

4 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Not saying Tuttle is the answer, but those stats are with a different  OC.

As well as… Tuttle played hurt. He didn’t get QB1 snaps all off season, OL was still garbage/hurt, etc, etc. MSU had an NFL running back. We didn’t get blown out in that game. We had walk ons for a RB room.

Btown is a blowhard who can’t admit when he’s wrong. Best to just move on and let his bad takes play out on their own.

CTA’s blind and deaf loyalty to Hiller is and will be his downfall. It’s sad because there’s no reason to stick your neck out for a crap OL coach just because he’s your friend. We had an amazing thing going and CTA let it implode. He’s simply not a head coach at this level. Not everyone is meant to be CEO. 

Edited by Hoosier82
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

As well as Tuttle played hurt. He didn’t get QB1 snaps all off season, OL was still garbage, etc, etc. MSU had an NFL running back. Btown is a blowhard who can’t admit when he’s wrong. Best to just move on and let his bad takes play out on their own.

CTA’s blind and deaf loyalty to Hiller us and will be his downfall. It’s sad because there’s no reason to stick your neck out for a crap OL coach just because he’s your friend. We had an amazing thing going and CTA let it implode. He’s simply not a head coach at this level. Not everyone is meant to be CEO. 

So strange about Hiller. Everyone saw it except Allen. Afraid it will sink him. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I know we have recruited a lot better for IU standards but still not good enough to compete in the Big Ten. This year's class is going to be small and right now not that good of a class.  You think on a college roster where you probably have 16 scholarship O Lineman so you would think you would have some quality depth in case of injuries.

The big problem that is IU football is the chicken or the egg which comes first. It is said to win you need great players to win and you have to win to get good players. So if you are losing that means you don't have good enough players so how will you ever get good enough players to win.  That is why the majority of the top players keep going to the same top programs and you see the same teams on top.

Ratings wise our recruiting classes have increased and we were in top 25 in the incoming class.  I would also observe that for the last 2 years we have relied on the portal for many skill players.  I think this year that almost all of our offensive skill players are from the portal.

I think that there are 3 and maybe more games on the schedule that we can win and get to a bowl despite our current problems.  Nebraska, Purdue, Maryland, and Rutgers.  I know Md. gave UM all they could handle at UM, but that game is at IU.  Unfortunately Rutgers and Md. getting better and we will have problems beating anyone in our division in the future if we don't start rolling.

• Like 1

I have been a long time IU fan I back them in all sports! Other then a few years IU football has never had big time success. I guess my question is why can’t we rebuild! 
look at Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota,Cincinnati no doubt Illinois will be much better in a few years! 
why can’t we find the guy who can rebuild this program? I remember when Wisconsin program wasn’t any better then us know look at them. 
Hell Kentucky is ranked 8th in football has been good now for a few years! 

Edited by OLDIUFAN

12 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I have been a long time IU fan I back them in all sports! Other then a few years IU football has never had big time success. I guess my question is why can’t we rebuild! 
look at Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota,Cincinnati no doubt Illinois will be much better in a few years! 
why can’t we find the guy who can rebuild this program? I remember when Wisconsin program wasn’t any better then us know look at them. 

I really thought Cam Cameron was going to be that guy.

55 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Rutgers got rolled by the vaunted Iowa offense yesterday, so...

September Maryland is always a relative juggernaut. October Maryland tends to slide a lot.

We aren't rebuilding. We are still BUILDING. We're going to have more support from the admin now with Whitten, but we are still pulling ourselves out of decades of being a doormat.

Take away our mistakes yesterday (just like last year vs Cincy), and by the fourth quarter it's a very close game up for grabs. We simply can't afford those types of mistakes in these kind of games.

Also, despite the secondary yesterday, our line play continues to be our Achilles heel.

Edited by rogue3542

5 minutes ago, rico said:

This entire team/football organization better get more competitive or doing away with the divisions ain't gonna do us any good.

100% agree.

All of the hoping and fun reconfiguring of the divisions is wasted energy, pointless, and a bit sad. Why look 'outwards' for an easier path? IU has got to make sure it's own house is in order and simply make itself better.

• Like 1