High School Hoops

rico

Brownstown goes down today. FW Blackhawk beat BC by 11..... 

Without Benter who was sick. Double ear infection and strep throat... 

Brownstown has also played it's last 4 games without their starting PG Parker Hehman who is out with a dislocated finger. He will be back middle to late Jan, I believe. 

So we were without hands down the best player in 2A plus our 3rd best player and the "best team in 2A" beat us by 11... and it was a game wire to wire. Gotta win the South before we get another shot at them, though! 

• Thanks 1

Hi, newby to posting who's been enjoying the site for several years.  I wanted to mention for the folks in the Southern part of the state - New Albany plays Centerville, OH and IU commit Gabe Cupps this Thursday in New Albany's gym at 6:00 for JV and 7:45ish for Varsity (Eastern times).  I thought some living near might want to see him play.  New Albany is 7-1, but not as good as that record would indicate.  I'm expecting a Centerville win.  I'm a 1980 NAHS grad (we had a really good team that year - undefeated until a loss in the state final game to Broad Ripple).

Edited by NAHoosier62
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NAHoosier62 said:

Hi, newby to posting who's been enjoying the site for several years.  I wanted to mention for the folks in the Southern part of the state - New Albany plays Centerville, OH and IU commit Gabe Cupps this Thursday in New Albany's gym at 6:00 for JV and 7:45ish for Varsity (Eastern times).  I thought some living near might want to see him play.  New Albany is 7-1, but not as good as that record would indicate.  I'm expecting a Centerville win.  I'm a 1980 NAHS grad (we had a really good team that year - undefeated until a loss in the state final game to Broad Ripple).

Stacey Toran RIP

https://youtu.be/P8-k--bXJMo

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing!  I was there to witness that shot.  In the first semi-final New Albany beat Andrean and Dan Dakich in another nail-biter.  Stacey Toran was quite an athlete and played in the NFL for the Raiders.  He was killed at 27 in a car accident.  Broad Ripple also had a pesky little point guard named King Duke.  New Albany was favored to win the Championship.  It just wasn't meant to be.  For anyone interested, here's a good read on that tournament and what Indiana high school basketball meant to the town.

New Albany loves basketball – and 40 years ago that love was rewarded with ecstasy then agony | KentSterling.com

Edited by NAHoosier62
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NAHoosier62 said:

Thanks for sharing!  I was there to witness that shot.  In the first semi-final New Albany beat Andrean and Dan Dakich in another nail-biter.  Stacey Toran was quite an athlete and played in the NFL for the Raiders.  He was killed at 27 in a car accident.  Broad Ripple also had a pesky little point guard named King Duke.  New Albany was favored to win the Championship.  It just wasn't meant to be.  For anyone interested, here's a good read on that tournament and what Indiana high school basketball meant to the town.

New Albany loves basketball – and 40 years ago that love was rewarded with ecstasy then agony | KentSterling.com

Do you remember the 1973 champs with Julius Norman and Herman "The Helicopter"?

I remember the semi-final vs Franklin. I knew a few of the Franklin players... New Albany won in OT, then beat South Bend Adams (and one of the best players in the state in Jimmy Webb)... Great Final 4 that year... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Do you remember the 1973 champs with Julius Norman and Herman "The Helicopter"?

I remember the semi-final vs Franklin. I knew a few of the Franklin players... New Albany won in OT, then beat South Bend Adams (and one of the best players in the state in Jimmy Webb)... Great Final 4 that year... 

found the finals 

1973 is before my sports fandom (born in 1966) with only NFL games & occasionally a baseball game on tv.  I remember watching JETS, Dolphins….Big Red Machine 

• Like 1

"Do you remember the 1973 champs with Julius Norman and Herman "The Helicopter"?

I remember the semi-final vs Franklin. I knew a few of the Franklin players... New Albany won in OT, then beat South Bend Adams (and one of the best players in the state in Jimmy Webb)... Great Final 4 that year... "

Yes, I was in elementary school, but remember the 1973 team.  Julius Norman, Norman Mukes, Bill Finley, Dale Slaughter, and the big guy Charlie Mitchell I believe were the starters.  Coming up on the 50-year anniversary.  Hopefully they will have a reunion.  I know Norman Mukes has passed. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by NAHoosier62

3 hours ago, NAHoosier62 said:

I believe that game was one of the reasons Dakich was always so hateful to Romeo- calling him “shoe guy”- because of sour grapes over that game. I was 6 years old and watching it on some kind if cable feed they had. NA has a rich basketball tradition but never gets mentioned with some of the northern schools. Great sports school. We currently have 1 NBA player, 1 MLB player, and one in the NFL ( Rondale Moore, who also played basketball)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I believe that game was one of the reasons Dakich was always so hateful to Romeo- calling him “shoe guy”- because of sour grapes over that game. I was 6 years old and watching it on some kind if cable feed they had. NA has a rich basketball tradition but never gets mentioned with some of the northern schools. Great sports school. We currently have 1 NBA player, 1 MLB player, and one in the NFL ( Rondale Moore, who also played basketball)

My kids went/go to a rival school, but I'll put New Albany fans up against any fan base in the state.  Great fan base and great tradition.  

• Like 3

On 12/27/2022 at 11:58 PM, NAHoosier62 said:

I forgot IU recruit Jonathan Powell also plays for Centerville.  Rabjohns says IU personnel should be at the game, possibly Coach Woodson.

Recruit watching: Gabe Cupps, Jonathan Powell, Dylan Harper, Rakease Passmore, Tyran Stokes and more (247sports.com)

15 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Will the centerville NA game be streamed tonight?

I didn't see it on the Champions network, but I do see it available here.  Expecting Centerville to win easily.  New Albany is good defensively, but is offensively challenged.

New Albany vs Centerville - Boys Varsity Basketball 12/29/2022 | Live & On Demand (nfhsnetwork.com)

• Thanks 1

Just turned on the HOF tournament championship game and it is disappointing to see the crowd. It would he lucky if there were over 2,000 in the gym. I usually go but couldn't this year.  The first time I went it was when Glenn Robinson played in it. The crowd was a sellout for both sessions. It seems like the last 10-15 years the crowd started to dwindle

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just turned on the HOF tournament championship game and it is disappointing to see the crowd. It would he lucky if there were over 2,000 in the gym. I usually go but couldn't this year.  The first time I went it was when Glenn Robinson played in it. The crowd was a sellout for both sessions. It seems like the last 10-15 years the crowd started to dwindle

Watched the legendary Martinsville lady Artesians in 1997 HOF tournament?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Not unexpected. From 1997 to 2019, the state tournament total attendance is down 57% from 786k to 339k

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know the attendance figures for each team, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two bigger schools had poor turnout. I was at this event one year in the late 2000's and remember talking with someone who worked there. He said they actually prefer getting smaller schools because they ironically bring bigger crowds. It's just a lot tougher for a small school to have the credentials needed to be invited to this event. 

46 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I don't know the attendance figures for each team, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two bigger schools had poor turnout. I was at this event one year in the late 2000's and remember talking with someone who worked there. He said they actually prefer getting smaller schools because they ironically bring bigger crowds. It's just a lot tougher for a small school to have the credentials needed to be invited to this event. 

I am from a small school(Knightstown) and in 2006 we made the semi state. We played Forrest Park and the Southport gym was totally packed. Second game was LN with Oden and Conley vs Terre Haute South with Arman Bassett. The crowd for that game the gym was well over half empty. I stayed for it to see Oden and Conley but most of Forrest Park fans left.

Edited by IU Scott

I guess another thing is that with the HOF games being at New Castle it just looks worse. When you have 9,000 seats and only have a couple of thousand it looks so empty. I have went to the Fieldhouse for years and we played in the New Castle sectional. I was so use to having the place packed and sometimes having to bring in portal bleachers on the top of the stands 

Edited by IU Scott