Indiana, Kentucky in advanced discussions for multi-year series

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

72-112 overall... One playoff series...

Not exactly Red Auerbach... Or Holtzman... Or even Kerr for that matter... 

Well, maybe Kerr 😉

I just think Cal gets way too much grief for his NBA "failure."  JMO even though I don't admit it often.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

I just think Cal gets way too much grief for his NBA "failure."  JMO even though I don't admit it often.

What NBA team is going to hire (by that time) a 65+ old college coach with no track record of success in the NBA? I just don't see any team that would be dumb enough to do this. NBA is a players league, hence why they hire re-treads (the devil you know type of thing). And I mean this, what teams would hire him? Now Jay Wright? I could see that happening: https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/26/former-villanova-coach-jay-wright-discusses-potential-nba-ambitions Who is Cal's Popovich? That's the only way Cal would get hired, if someone connected to him (GM, President, Owner, BB operations) really pushed for him. But I am not aware of anyone like that, but I admit I don't know, there could be. But him going to the NBA is a very long shot in my mind. I see him as a TV analyst. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

The response on Rupp Rafters is typical...

I guess I just can't imagine myself rooting for a team of mercenaries (I can't even remember the last time a Kentucky (in)bred kid led them in scoring) and is pretty much the poster child for NCAA scandal dating back to the 40s

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The response on Rupp Rafters is typical...

I guess I just can't imagine myself rooting for a team of mercenaries (I can't even remember the last time a Kentucky (in)bred kid led them in scoring) and is pretty much the poster child for NCAA scandal dating back to the 40s

Seems like John Pelphrey was a Kentucky native.  That would be 30 years ago.

On 10/12/2022 at 5:27 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Who benefits from a game in NYC other than @Lostin76?😛

I am really indifferent to this. We are scheduling games v Kansas, Arizona and such. Why do anything that Calipari might profit from? pUKe bailed on us. We don’t owe them anything.

I would defintitely go see this is if it was at Barclays Center. Would rather have our cowardly pals have to play in AH though. 

• Like 1

Back in the winter of 1970 I saw IU v. UK in the Old field house.  There were fold out bleachers on the side of the court and bleachers on the end that were a little more roomy.  Adolph Rupp was still UK's coach.  He had injured his foot.  When he took his seat on the sidelines, he placed his foot on a stool with a beautiful Kentucky blue pillow.  Of course, the IU fans hooted and hollered at him.  All in good cheer.  This was the one and only year that Big George played for the Hoosiers.  Ritter, Harris, Wright, and Downing were the other starters.  UK was highly ranked and the Hoosiers had high expectations.  UK scored with seconds left in regulation to tie the game.  The noise made it hard to hear anything as IU inbounded the ball.  When Ritter hit a half court shot to apparently win the game, the roof literally came off.  But the refs waived off the field goal because Big George had called timeout.  Ritter was unable to duplicate his feat on the replay and IU lost in OT.  And as they say the rest is history.  I guess Big George saved a Kentucky Playboy pinup that day from getting trampled that day from a vicious IU mob storming the court.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Back in the winter of 1970 I saw IU v. UK in the Old field house.  There were fold out bleachers on the side of the court and bleachers on the end that were a little more roomy.  Adolph Rupp was still UK's coach.  He had injured his foot.  When he took his seat on the sidelines, he placed his foot on a stool with a beautiful Kentucky blue pillow.  Of course, the IU fans hooted and hollered at him.  All in good cheer.  This was the one and only year that Big George played for the Hoosiers.  Ritter, Harris, Wright, and Downing were the other starters.  UK was highly ranked and the Hoosiers had high expectations.  UK scored with seconds left in regulation to tie the game.  The noise made it hard to hear anything as IU inbounded the ball.  When Ritter hit a half court shot to apparently win the game, the roof literally came off.  But the refs waived off the field goal because Big George had called timeout.  Ritter was unable to duplicate his feat on the replay and IU lost in OT.  And as they say the rest is history.  I guess Big George saved a Kentucky Playboy pinup that day from getting trampled that day from a vicious IU mob storming the court.

I remember that game...