National News '22-'23 Season

rico

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Actually they are discussing it on field of 68 and I actually agree with Jeff Goodman for once. Both him and Robbie Hummel both thinks it is a horrible idea to expand and they think it should go back to 64

I'm shocked that you would think that. Shocked, I say. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.on3.com/news/college-basketball-insider-shares-target-number-for-ncaa-tournament-expansion-jon-rothstein-sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-ncaam-march-madness/ 

Another article about expanding the tournament.

Also tonight on YouTube the show Eye on College basketball is having a show discussing the topic. They want to make 25% of the teams available for the tournament in all sports.

I heard that Scott Drew wants them to expand to 128 teams and trying to figure out how they would bracket that many teams.  That would out 32 teams in each region and figuring out how to have 4 sites for each region.

They better figure out how to finish this new expanded tournament before Masters week or CBS is going to throw a fit.

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

They better figure out how to finish this new expanded tournament before Masters week or CBS is going to throw a fit.

If they expand it, then the conference tournaments could be expendable--although they are cash cows.

I have also heard discussions around the idea of not starting the regular season until January, thus pushing the conclusion of the season to late April/early May. This would allow football the limelight, and let hoops have its own season not overshadowed by the bowl/playoff season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If they expand it, then the conference tournaments could be expendable--although they are cash cows.

I have also heard discussions around the idea of not starting the regular season until January, thus pushing the conclusion of the season to late April/early May. This would allow football the limelight, and let hoops have its own season not overshadowed by the bowl/playoff season.

A big NO on moving the season back.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, rico said:

A big NO on moving the season back.

Why so opposed? That seems to make sense to me. Make it a purely 2nd semester sport. You space it out so the NCAA has its marquee sports span the entire school year. You still get the tournament over before the NBA finishes, so the draft works out fine.

8 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Why so opposed? That seems to make sense to me. Make it a purely 2nd semester sport. You space it out so the NCAA has its marquee sports span the entire school year. You still get the tournament over before the NBA finishes, so the draft works out fine.

It would take some getting used to for me.  

• Like 1

I know it hasn't been discussed "officially" by anyone, but I'd like to see the regular season expanded to a few more games so that larger conferences can do a round-robin schedule (home & away) against every team in the conference. No big deal to me if March Madness is moved to April.

25 minutes ago, DWB said:

I know it hasn't been discussed "officially" by anyone, but I'd like to see the regular season expanded to a few more games so that larger conferences can do a round-robin schedule (home & away) against every team in the conference. No big deal to me if March Madness is moved to April.

I would love to have a true round robin but I think those days may be over.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I'd actually be totally okay with this.  It also shortens the span between basketball and football season, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

Expand it.

Seems like the only people who wants it expanded are coaches and the SEC commissioner. He talked about Texas A&M being left out and said they didn't have an avenue to get in the tournament. I guess he forgot about the conference tournament or the fact that they lost 9 in a row in January.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Seems like the only people who wants it expanded are coaches and the SEC commissioner. He talked about Texas A&M being left out and said they didn't have an avenue to get in the tournament. I guess he forgot about the conference tournament or the fact that they lost 9 in a row in January.

I have been seeing it talked about for some time now.  And sorry about A&M's luck as it could have been us that got left out.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The avenue to the tournament is winning your games. 

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Part of that SEC is far superior to the rest of the world mentality. A&M deserved to be included just because it’s the SEC?

I can understand the mentality with football but basketball?  Other than Kentucky their next best program historically is Arkansas or Florida more recently. They should just be happy with what they get. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I can understand the mentality with football but basketball?  Other than Kentucky their next best program historically is Arkansas or Florida more recently. They should just be happy with what they get. 

You forgot about those Tennessee women!

• Like 1