National News '22-'23 Season

rico

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Illinois has the easiest B1G schedule

This will play a huge role this season...It plays a huge role every season. If we are being honest, it played a role in our last B1G championship...

Our schedule is going to put us to the test, and not just physically, our mental strength is going to be tested...In the last 6-8 years our M.O has been to fold when the going got tough...Last year's team was the first glimmer of something else, and even then we lost a ton of games down the stretch. 

I rewatched the Wyoming game last night and it really tempered my expectations for the season. We were not particularly good last year...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Collins is definitely on the hot seat at Northwestern...

They didn't know how good they had it with Carmody... 

You guys get coach Sam's email?  It's always awesome and I noticed he mentioned that players eventually get tired of Collins and transfer out.  His takes on the current IU squad really have me fired up.  Sounds like JHS is almost definitely one and done.  25 NBA scouts at IU's pro day said he's a first rounder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You guys get coach Sam's email?  It's always awesome and I noticed he mentioned that players eventually get tired of Collins and transfer out.  His takes on the current IU squad really have me fired up.  Sounds like JHS is almost definitely one and done.  25 NBA scouts at IU's pro day said he's a first rounder.

Question for anyone or everyone was JHS being talked about like this last spring? Or is this just since he’s had a chance to train and practice at IU?

So reference all the Whinin' Illini love...

They lost 3 All Big 10 players, 2 senior defensive stalwarts (they were 2nd in the league in defense behind us), most of their bench, and bring in 2 experienced guys who both average around 10 ppg, only one returner that averaged over 10 mpg, and a group of freshmen that rank below both JHS and Malik Reneau, and they're somehow better not only than last year's Illini team, but the IU team that took them out in the BTT? Really?

I don't see how anyone in good conscience can pick them over us, favorable schedule or not. They have basically a whole new roster. We have an improved roster over a team last year that was competitive in all but a couple of games. Watch the first half of the Wisconsin game in Madison or the BTT games vs Illinois and Michigan if you want to see what we can be... And to be honest, what I expect.

But I've always been a "bird in the hand" guy... 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So reference all the Whinin' Illini love...

They lost 3 All Big 10 players, 2 senior defensive stalwarts (they were 2nd in the league in defense behind us), most of their bench, and bring in 2 experienced guys who both average around 10 ppg, only one returner that averaged over 10 mpg, and a group of freshmen that rank below both JHS and Malik Reneau, and they're somehow better not only than last year's Illini team, but the IU team that took them out in the BTT? Really?

I don't see how anyone in good conscience can pick them over us, favorable schedule or not. They have basically a whole new roster. We have an improved roster over a team last year that was competitive in all but a couple of games. Watch the first half of the Wisconsin game in Madison or the BTT games vs Illinois and Michigan if you want to see what we can be... And to be honest, what I expect.

But I've always been a "bird in the hand" guy... 

Seems like most people are writing IU off as marginally better than last year’s team. Norlander seemed to go out of his way to say it’s the same team as CAM’s team! They all talk about how awesome Clark is but barely mention JHS? 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Question for anyone or everyone was JHS being talked about like this last spring? Or is this just since he’s had a chance to train and practice at IU?

I didn't see any mentions on where he would be in the draft.  I did see those who said he was the best defensive player in the class, that his only weakness was outside shooting, that he had high Bball IQ, good mid-range game, and good finisher.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I didn't see any mentions on where he would be in the draft.  I did see those who said he was the best defensive player in the class, that his only weakness was outside shooting, that he had high Bball IQ, good mid-range game, and good finisher.

From the email newsletter I spoke of earlier...supposedly someone pretty involved...

“First round pick. First round talent. First round guy. His approach is amazing. Just one of those guys… By the time our fans get acquainted to him, he’ll be gone. That happens at high-level programs. His approach, his maturity, his feel, his passing. He’ll be our fourth most productive player but be a first round pick. His feel, his IQ, his approach. I can’t say enough about him. Hardest worker on our team. Always in early. Always with the massage therapist and masseuse. Takes his game so seriously. We had 25 scouts at our pro day and every, single one of them said he was a first rounder. It’s cool to see where he’s at. By the time UNC comes around, he’ll be the best prospect in that game and the best player on the floor. He treats people so well. Very polished. He’s here for two reasons: to get drafted and win. For a freshman, you tell him one time. One thing. No dragging him along. He is like Chris Paul. He just picks shit up so fast.” 

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Seems like most people are writing IU off as marginally better than last year’s team. Norlander seemed to go out of his way to say it’s the same team as CAM’s team! They all talk about how awesome Clark is but barely mention JHS? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't get that either.  Hopefully it inspires the guys in the cream and crimson.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

These are sports massages...they generally don't come with "happy endings"...🤣

Well, actually my wife is a massage therapist so.....😎

And shes worked with a chiropractor, the one I go to rarely, who used to do work on IU athletes.  Btw the chiropractor graduated a year before me from WHS. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I’m not at practice but I’d guess Race lifts & works really hard 

same with XJ…TJD…

if this was a year or two ago it wouldn’t surprise me 

I saw pics of Race and TJD goofing off with Peyton.  You know who wasn't there? JHS.  He was probably working.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, Drroogh said:

This is more of a macro view that we will have to pay attention moving forward. Maybe it was Coach Woodson knowing full well what he had in JHS all along but he didn't want to bring the attention to the kid early. I think it was TJD who first said in August or September that he was a one and done guy.

Just something to consider or think about for all of us with Coach Woodson. Not building the kid up and letting him just work. Seems to fit Woodson's MO. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So, I'm guessing you think that's an indictment of the work ethic of the rest of the team? 

I sure don't assume that, but I had a very similar reaction...assuming our seniors are hard workers and hearing things about other kids like Leal putting up a lot of shots, when I read that I was like, holy 💩...how hard is JHS working to get singled out like that?!!

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Whatever... Time for talking is over...

Time for some basketball... 

Thank you,  thank you, thank you.   

And who wrote that?  I saw what's his name, Sam story post a few weeks ago about an email he sends out.  It's whatever to me until wins stack up and this program is back on top.  Until then, I care less about preseason media and hype.