Any real ideals

OLDIUFAN

45 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Ahhh, Rico...you seem to be playing both sides of the fence.  First, you say go get this guy...second, by the way, when you offer him the answer is no.  No fair!!  So what's poor old IU suppose to do??   😂😁

I really wish there was an answer to our futility.  At present though I see no light at the end of the tunnel.  But I will keep rooting, and hoping, and praying...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I agree. Look at our schedule including quality/strength of teams in the East compared to teams in the West....It's not even close.... It's actually comical. We could very easily be 5-2 right now and looking much different. I'm including Nebraska and Maryland as "should have won" games. I put the majority of fault/blame on player error and offensive line issues. I also agree with the OL coaching change. Now we sit at 3-4 with 5 games left, including Ohio St., Penn St. and 3 games that could keep our bowl hopes alive.

I am not going to blame our problems on being in the East since we couldn't beat Neb. or Maryland

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am not going to blame our problems on being in the East since we couldn't beat Neb. or Maryland

You’re right… I totally agree. Those should have been wins and looking at 5-2. I’m just stating that playing in the East is alway a much tougher schedule than anyone in the West. It’s a double edge sword. You get to play the best in the nation and see what your made of as well as potentially loosing each year to those teams. Right now we just want to stop the bleeding and get a bowl bid…

55 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

You’re right… I totally agree. Those should have been wins and looking at 5-2. I’m just stating that playing in the East is alway a much tougher schedule than anyone in the West. It’s a double edge sword. You get to play the best in the nation and see what your made of as well as potentially loosing each year to those teams. Right now we just want to stop the bleeding and get a bowl bid…

It is tougher but in most years we would have trouble finishing in the top half of the west.  This year the west is worse than usual and is much easier this year. Most years we would still have trouble beating UW and Iowa and teams like Minnesota, Neb. and Purdue we probably would lose to more often than not 

Edited by IU Scott

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is tougher but in most years we would have trouble finishing in the top half of the west.  This year the west is worse than usual and is much easier this year. Most years we would still have trouble beating UM and Iowa and teams like Minnesota, Neb. and Purdue we probably would lose to more often than not 

And prior to the 2020 win, IU had lost 10 straight to Wisconsin. 

33 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is tougher but in most years we would have trouble finishing in the top half of the west.  This year the west is worse than usual and is much easier this year. Most years we would still have trouble beating UM and Iowa and teams like Minnesota, Neb. and Purdue we probably would lose to more often than not 

It will be interesting how they will do "divisions" once USC and UCLA come on board.  Quads anyone?  

21 minutes ago, rico said:

It will be interesting how they will do "divisions" once USC and UCLA come on board.  Quads anyone?  

To me to make it even they will need to expand to bring in a couple of more west coast teams to have quads that make sense. Yo can go to 20 and have 5 4 team quads

4 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I agree. Look at our schedule including quality/strength of teams in the East compared to teams in the West....It's not even close.... It's actually comical. We could very easily be 5-2 right now and looking much different. I'm including Nebraska and Maryland as "should have won" games. I put the majority of fault/blame on player error and offensive line issues. I also agree with the OL coaching change. Now we sit at 3-4 with 5 games left, including Ohio St., Penn St. and 3 games that could keep our bowl hopes alive.

I am going to keep banging the drum that our DL has been just as bad as our OL and for the same amount of time. Watch every game, the opposing QB has an eternity to throw. They have to be able to win one on one matchups. I don't blame all of this on the coaches.  We need better talent up front.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Someone needs to rename this thread "Twelve Angry Men".   😤

For real, I understand the frustration, but we aren't nearly as bad as everyone is making us out to be. 

The only game left that I don't feel like we have a chance in is OSU.

Every other team we face, at least imo, we have a chance against.

That said, Saturday is do or die time. We need the win for some positive momentum.

• Like 2

I think we get off the schneid this week. 

I have never looked at Allen’s contract and buyout.  I don’t know if there is any contingent language like “you have a buyout of $X dollars so long as you win at least 3 Big Ten games the prior year.”    That kind of language would make sense.  If I were an AD and the coach didn’t agree to that, I’d pause.  

But assuming IU agreed to hand him the money without negotiating any requirements for success, then a firing over the next couple of years seems completely unlikely.  The only wild card is that Allen is mega religious.  If he doesn’t feel right about taking considerable sums of money when the product has not succeeded, maybe he walks away as he’s independently wealthy.  That type of analysis would be part of his religious viewpoints on character.  

10 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Someone needs to rename this thread "Twelve Angry Men".   😤

Your right! I will try to be more positive! Just frustrated because all we needed to do to beat Maryland after all the turnovers was stop the run the last 8 minutes are so of that game and we win! 
A game we needed to win! 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:52 PM, Artesian_86 said:

The East is a blessing for us. A real blessing! Look at how many fans see IU football every year because we play OSU, PSU, and Michigan every year. Does anyone honestly believe our tv ratings are better than Purdues because we have such a bigger and more loyal fanbase for football?? No it’s because our opponents draw more eyes. Not only that but it puts us on the National relevance stage minimum 3 times a year. Is there any other worse program in the country get that many prime time games every year? That is an opportunity. A chance to get our program in front of more kids and chances to have bigger wins. You want to finish in top 10 and still have a loss on your schedule in the B1G…better play in the East. What happens if we play in the West and win almost all our games? We will get pissed for being disrespected for not playing anyone good and end up in a crappy bowl. You beat Michigan and Penn St etc and now you carry enough weight to get a New Years Day bowl. Can’t have it both ways. Rather win hard games and get viewers and respect. 

As far as team goes. I like the up tempo…I like to spread it out and go get some athletes to make plays in space then try to out physical Michigan and OSU. Find a qb that can sling it. That said we have to have at least a respectable OL…and we have to find a way to generate a pass rush. If Allen can do that then fine..if not we need one that can recruit and will stay.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The East is a blessing for us. A real blessing! Look at how many fans see IU football every year because we play OSU, PSU, and Michigan every year. Does anyone honestly believe our tv ratings are better than Purdues because we have such a bigger and more loyal fanbase for football?? No it’s because our opponents draw more eyes. Not only that but it puts us on the National relevance stage minimum 3 times a year. Is there any other worse program in the country get that many prime time games every year? That is an opportunity. A chance to get our program in front of more kids and chances to have bigger wins. You want to finish in top 10 and still have a loss on your schedule in the B1G…better play in the East. What happens if we play in the West and win almost all our games? We will get pissed for being disrespected for not playing anyone good and end up in a crappy bowl. You beat Michigan and Penn St etc and now you carry enough weight to get a New Years Day bowl. Can’t have it both ways. Rather win hard games and get viewers and respect. 

As far as team goes. I like the up tempo…I like to spread it out and go get some athletes to make plays in space then try to out physical Michigan and OSU. Find a qb that can sling it. That said we have to have at least a respectable OL…and we have to find a way to generate a pass rush. If Allen can do that then fine..if not we need one that can recruit and will stay.

I wouldn't go so far as calling it a blessing, but I do generally agree with your sentiment. IU does get maximum exposure because of its schedule and that is a very big positive that has an exponentially high ceiling when things are going well (see 2020).

I also believe that being in the East has forced us to improve our program at a much quicker and more robust rate than if we were in the West, simply because we need to compete with better teams more regularly.

As for the on-field product, I'm not saying anything new here, but it starts and stops with a high quality QB. Ty Fryfogle was an AA player because of Michael Penix, and not surprisingly, his production and value dropped off considerably when our QB play did.

With the glaring exception of Coby (and I don't mean to pick on the kid), I'm pretty satisfied with the receiving corps at large. There have been a few drops here and there, but the overall play has been solid. And this is with a QB that gets the ball to them only half of the time. It's not just the passes that Bazelak misses by throwing 2 feet over their heads, but he also has a tendency to waste plays and 'throw it away' because he's not properly set. Blame the OL sure, but he's not doing himself any favors with his lack of accuracy and that has absolutely killed drives and momentum. Hard for playmakers to do their jobs when they struggle to even get the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I agree with most of what you are saying here, with the following exceptions--

-I'd rather go to a "crappy bowl" than no bowl game at all

-What we really need in a quarterback is a dual threat. I can't foresee a situation where the O-line play is going to be elevated in a quick turnaround. We need a quarterback that can not only "sling it", but who can also use his legs to buy time and make up for some of the pass pro deficiencies. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I wouldn't go so far as calling it a blessing, but I do generally agree with your sentiment. IU does get maximum exposure because of its schedule and that is a very big positive that has an exponentially high ceiling when things are going well (see 2020).

I also believe that being in the East has forced us to improve our program at a much quicker and more robust rate than if we were in the West, simply because we need to compete with better teams more regularly.

As for the on-field product, I'm not saying anything new here, but it starts and stops with a high quality QB. Ty Fryfogle was an AA player because of Michael Penix, and not surprisingly, his production and value dropped off considerably when our QB play did.

With the glaring exception of Coby (and I don't mean to pick on the kid), I'm pretty satisfied with the receiving corps at large. There have been a few drops here and there, but the overall play has been solid. And this is with a QB that gets the ball to them only half of the time. It's not just the passes that Bazelak misses by throwing 2 feet over their heads, but he also has a tendency to waste plays and 'throw it away' because he's not properly set. Blame the OL sure, but he's not doing himself any favors with his lack of accuracy and that has absolutely killed drives and momentum. Hard for playmakers to do their jobs when they struggle to even get the ball.

Outstanding take. I would add, being in the East would be viewed as more of an advantage if we had 4 non-conference games. 3 gimmes, and 1 power 5. Let's face it, our goal is to make a bowl game. If we have an exceptional season, we look for a New Years Day bowl.  

Love your view on the offense. We need a deviation from relying on power football like Mich, OSU, and PSU. Tempo and spreading the field allow us to find advantages and defensive breakdowns. But we need a gunslinger with fast decision making, ACCURACY, and a quick release for that to be successful. 

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I agree with most of what you are saying here, with the following exceptions--

-I'd rather go to a "crappy bowl" than no bowl game at all

-What we really need in a quarterback is a dual threat. I can't foresee a situation where the O-line play is going to be elevated in a quick turnaround. We need a quarterback that can not only "sling it", but who can also use his legs to buy time and make up for some of the pass pro deficiencies. 

100% agree on the bowl objectives. As far as qb, I want escapability, but not necessarily someone that looks to run frequently.  They eventually get caught. And injured. Give me a quick release from shotgun and that mitigates some of the pass pro issues. O-line just has to force them off a direct path to our qb. Plenty of high school kids running spread that may be slightly undersized that would work. Or heck, hit the portal and grab a Miss St. or Ole Miss transfer qb.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Pretty much agree with everything you said here.  Just a reminder though, a couple years ago we beat everybody but Ohio State and still got disrespected and put in a crappy bowl.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think recruiting HS is important, but I think making even greater use of the Portal and JC is more important.  Find players from lesser programs who want a shot at P5.  JMO.

6 hours ago, rico said:

http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/10865-any-real-ideals/&do=findComment&comment=498968

Yep. I saw that interview and that's why I said it. He would recruit very very well. If he's getting people to Jackson State, he could get a lot of guys to IU. I would totally reach out if we moved on. But he'll get another job very soon.

30 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/10865-any-real-ideals/&do=findComment&comment=498968

Yep. I saw that interview and that's why I said it. He would recruit very very well. If he's getting people to Jackson State, he could get a lot of guys to IU. I would totally reach out if we moved on. But he'll get another job very soon.

He would kill it at Miami

• Like 1