IUBB 22/‘23

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Because they’d have to develop the app on the other platforms. 

And that would be difficult?

I have a couple of dozen apps on both TVs... I was thinking it's more an "exclusivity issue" they've signed to force people to buy a Firestick, Roku, or Chromecast...

At one time, Samsung TVs didn't carry the YouTube TV app, but they wised up... 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And that would be difficult?

I have a couple of dozen apps on both TVs... I was thinking it's more an "exclusivity issue" they've signed to force people to buy a Firestick, Roku, or Chromecast...

At one time, Samsung TVs didn't carry the YouTube TV app, but they wised up... 

It’s one more thing to have to build and then maintain that wouldn’t get much use, so difficult maybe isn’t the word but I can see why they wouldn’t. I don’t think the B1G has a large dev team so it would probably require hiring a few folks to build and maintain more apps (unless you meant just build one for Samsung TV and not all the other TV operating systems they aren’t on, and other platforms like PS5 they aren’t on).

I definitely get the annoyance, I just don’t think they’re getting the viewership on their app to command more investment there. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s one more thing to have to build and then maintain that wouldn’t get much use, so difficult maybe isn’t the word but I can see why they wouldn’t. I don’t think the B1G has a large dev team so it would probably require hiring a few folks to build and maintain more apps (unless you meant just build one for Samsung TV and not all the other TV operating systems they aren’t on, and other platforms like PS5 they aren’t on).

I definitely get the annoyance, I just don’t think they’re getting the viewership on their app to command more investment there. 

A lot of TV manufacturers are building Roku, or Google TV into their sets, but being Samsung sells the most TVs in both the US and worldwide, I'd think there'd be some interest... 

Edited by IUFLA

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What really sucks is that I have 2 fairly new Samsung TVs, and the Big 10+ app is not available for either... I have to dig out an old Chromecast I have somewhere to cast the game to my TV...

Stupid... Why is the app only available to certain platforms? 

Because it's a garbage, half-assed product in the first place. It takes very little money to run and developing apps costs money. It's just a money grab as shown by the ridiculous $10/month they charge.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Because it's a garbage, half-assed product in the first place. It takes very little money to run and developing apps costs money. It's just a money grab as shown by the ridiculous $10/month they charge.

Well sure it is...

But looking at what $10 will buy you nowadays, 3 IU games, even if 2 of them are exhibitions, seems like a bargain.... 

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Right. They don’t want to spend the money on an app that they then have to maintain and probably add full time employees to do so because again, it’s not just Samsung missing it.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Well sure it is...

But looking at what $10 will buy you nowadays, 3 IU games, even if 2 of them are exhibitions, seems like a bargain.... 

the fact that you said $10 instead of $120 every year is exactly why they’re not going to spend money on the app. BTN+ isn’t bringing in enough revenue to justify it and honestly… if you really wanted it all year you’d probably have a Roku or Apple TV for a better viewing experience. 

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What really sucks is that I have 2 fairly new Samsung TVs, and the Big 10+ app is not available for either... I have to dig out an old Chromecast I have somewhere to cast the game to my TV...

Stupid... Why is the app only available to certain platforms? 

This may have already been considered, but did you search for big…. Or b1g 10+ ?   “I” vrs “1”. 

I remember having that issue last year on a new TV set up. 

just a thought. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

This may have already been considered, but did you search for big…. Or b1g 10+ ?   “I” vrs “1”. 

I remember having that issue last year on a new TV set up. 

just a thought. 

Yeah, I looked through every app in Samsung's app drawer... No joy...

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

the fact that you said $10 instead of $120 every year is exactly why they’re not going to spend money on the app. BTN+ isn’t bringing in enough revenue to justify it and honestly… if you really wanted it all year you’d probably have a Roku or Apple TV for a better viewing experience. 

It seems to me if you have a business, ANY business, you'd like for it to grow. If you want it to grow, you make investments in it.

They already have the app available for Roku, Apple TV, and Chromecast. Making the app work with Tizen (Samsung's streaming engine) for the biggest platform in the US wouldn't be moving mountains. 

I'll shut up about it, because like I said, I'm covered. I have a Chromecast dongle that I'm not using (I bought it for a 2016 Samsung TV I had which didn't have the YouTube TV app available which they rectified with their newer TVs). 

But if BTN ever wants BTN+ to ever really succeed, I think they need to reevaluate their business model. 

Edited by IUFLA

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I looked through every app in Samsung's app drawer... No joy...

It seems to me if you have a business, ANY business, you'd like for it to grow. If you want it to grow, you make investments in it.

They already have the app available for Roku, Apple TV, and Chromecast. Making the app work with Tizen (Samsung's streaming engine) for the biggest platform in the US wouldn't be moving mountains. 

I'll shut up about it, because like I said, I'm covered. because I have a Chromecast dongle that I'm not using (I bought it for a 2016 Samsung TV I had which didn't have the YouTube TV app available which they rectified with their newer TVs). 

But if BTN ever wants BTN+ to ever really succeed, I think they need to reevaluate their business model. 

Does it have the Fox Sports app?

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yeah, first option is Chromecast, which is how I'll do it.

The TV is hung on the wall, so getting that USB cable from the dongle plugged in will have me filling up the swear jar... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The TV is hung on the wall, so getting that USB cable from the dongle plugged in will have me filling up the swear jar... 

Maybe I'll talk to Elon about my free trial idea and discuss a B1G+ acquisition. 

Just need to find my rolodex. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Which model Chromecast? The older ones can get enough power from the USB on the TV but newer models need more juice than that. 

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Which model Chromecast? The older ones can get enough power from the USB on the TV but newer models need more juice than that. 

Gen 3...The 4k version. It does have an outlet plug... Bought it probably 18 months ago or so when we dropped Dish for YTTV

2 minutes ago, rico said:

@IUFLAjust get a Roku.  They are pretty damn cheap.

I actually have an older Toshiba TV (I think it's actually made by Hisense, because that was the remote code I had to use for the Dish remote when we still had Dish) with Roku built in one of our guest bedrooms.

But I much prefer my man cave 😉

• Like 1