IUBB 22/‘23

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketballs-mike-woodson-letting-it-be-known-race-thompson-has-made-a-major-jump-for-us/

Great article about Race. Really seems like he's going to be a legitimate point threat this year. 

He looks really confident….steps into it with good form 

really puts pressure on the defense unless you have big guards to meet TJD at the rim or a pg who can contain XJ…..

4 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

He looks really confident….steps into it with good form 

really puts pressure on the defense unless you have big guards to meet TJD at the rim or a pg who can contain XJ…..

Yep. He mentioned in the article not having the confidence before.  I'm thinking that was an Archie problem.  

Edited by mrflynn03

While exhibitions can be a tough predictor of things to come, I think we saw just about everything we could hope for this past week.

- 2 (possibly 3) Freshmen look like they will be able to contribute meaningful minutes. [check]

- Shooting appears to be better. Sure they are playing against inferior defenses and  are more comfortable, but shots are going in. [check]

- JHS. This kid seems to have a high ceiling. I knew he was good, but I’m not sure I expected him to be this good. Our missing piece has been a play maker for so many years. X started to show glimpses last season, but JHS seems to be a guy who won’t be sped up in the moment. We need that Keegan Murray/Ayo/Branham type killer. I can’t check this box yet, but if JHS is that guy, watch out B1G.

• Like 3

Just re-watched the St Francis game, and to my surprise JHS got beat a lot. To his credit, it looked like he was in position most of the time, but got faked out by the SF guards using misdirection.

I'm sure that will get corrected. Could also see the need for him to spread this arms more to appear to take up more space.

But overall, he is the real deal. Would love to have him for another year after this.

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

While exhibitions can be a tough predictor of things to come, I think we saw just about everything we could hope for this past week.

- 2 (possibly 3) Freshmen look like they will be able to contribute meaningful minutes. [check]

- Shooting appears to be better. Sure they are playing against inferior defenses and  are more comfortable, but shots are going in. [check]

- JHS. This kid seems to have a high ceiling. I knew he was good, but I’m not sure I expected him to be this good. Our missing piece has been a play maker for so many years. X started to show glimpses last season, but JHS seems to be a guy who won’t be sped up in the moment. We need that Keegan Murray/Ayo/Branham type killer. I can’t check this box yet, but if JHS is that guy, watch out B1G.

I don't know if JHS will be that type of scorer. However, I think he will be able to STOP those kind of scorers. That is also something that has been missing recently.

This isn't aimed at you, just at the board in general: I'm glad people are getting on the Reneau train. I can't believe people thought he'd only be getting 15mpg and would be playing behind JG. He's good. Really good. We need him to get a lot of PT.

This team replaced 3 mid-major players and an under performing senior with 2 borderline 5*s, another top 100 recruit, and a 3* who looks like he'll eventually be good. Should be a much better team this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't know if JHS will be that type of scorer. However, I think he will be able to STOP those kind of scorers. That is also something that has been missing recently.

This isn't aimed at you, just at the board in general: I'm glad people are getting on the Reneau train. I can't believe people thought he'd only be getting 15mpg and would be playing behind JG. He's good. Really good. We need him to get a lot of PT.

This team replaced 3 mid-major players and an under performing senior with 2 borderline 5*s, another top 100 recruit, and a 3* who looks like he'll eventually be good. Should be a much better team this year.

I think we are just a bit jaded because our last two 5-stars weren't instant contributors. 

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

FWIW--- I think we will be damn lucky to get 2 years out of JHS 

You are probably right, but we haven't seen him against really good B1G defenses yet. Jury is out, but I'm in line at the betting window that he will be good. Maybe not double digit every night, but 8-10 consistently.