For all spouting for new coach.

jojo123

30 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Urban can sit in a chair and talk football while making millions.. why on earth would he want to deal with trying to make a bad program competitive 

Ego perhaps.  He "shamefully" exited the NFL.  Might feel he has something to prove?  

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

you dont. just a name to make a point. go get a big name proven winner.

Exactly. Gruden's got baggage and Urban too. But any big name coach interested in IU is going to have some baggage which gives IU some leverage with their contract. But my overall point is, IU needs to do something to shake up the program, build some real interest both nationally and locally and get fans in the seats and some excitement on game day. At this point every win seems like a miracle or a relief. Big named guys might bring some confidence and cockiness that this program has lacked for a long, long time. Even if one of these guys flames out or bolts or whatever, why not see what happens? The program with the most losses in college football history might need to shy away from "one of its own" and/or local guys and finally do something unexpected. If I was Dolson, I would be gaging who may or may not have interest including Gruden. Like I mentioned, IU might actually have reasonable leverage on some of these guys because of their recent history, age or whatever. But it sure would be nice to try something different. I am not even advocating getting rid of CTA yet. But if they lose out, it's hard to imagine CTA being able to recruit anyone. Next year's schedule looks decent too. But how the PSU game plays out especially after a bye week and the two recent losses that should have been wins, will  be a real indicator if the team has quit on him. IU seems to play PSU ok relative to the other big named teams, so I am not closing the door on the season or CTA yet, just spitballing what I would do if this season bottoms out even more so. Three of the four remaining games should dictate whether IU needs to start looking elsewhere. They have to be competitive and get at least one win or it's going to be another tough off season. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Haha to anyone thinking urban would even remotely consider the IU job.. this isn’t IU basketball… Gruden highly highly unlikely as well but at least there is a connection to IU. 

According to DD Urban was interested in the IU job when he was at Bowling Green 

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

How do you know kids would want to play for Gruden especially with his racially motivated emails

Hard to say. A lot may not necessarily find what he said as totally disqualifying of being a good coach. Not saying I approve but I’ve been in a lot of locker rooms where gay slangs have been used  and I don’t think anyone likes Goodell so maybe many would agree. the comment about DeMaurice Smith was more insensitive than racial but obviously in 2020 climate would get taken as racist attack instead of a horribly mean comment. Not justifying but man I think there are a lot of thicker skin people out there than NFL owners and newspaper writers.

The most important thing to kids is to get to the NFL. This guy knows what it takes to do that and has coached some of the greatest players of all time. I don’t think for a second he would do it but would have no issue with him getting a second chance with the correct clauses in his contract. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hard to say. A lot may not necessarily find what he said as totally disqualifying of being a good coach. Not saying I approve but I’ve been in a lot of locker rooms where gay slangs have been used  and I don’t think anyone likes Goodell so maybe many would agree. the comment about DeMaurice Smith was more insensitive than racial but obviously in 2020 climate would get taken as racist attack instead of a horribly mean comment. Not justifying but man I think there are a lot of thicker skin people out there than NFL owners and newspaper writers.

The most important thing to kids is to get to the NFL. This guy knows what it takes to do that and has coached some of the greatest players of all time. I don’t think for a second he would do it but would have no issue with him getting a second chance with the correct clauses in his contract. 

I agree with all of this. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

you might be right, but money talks. Look at all the products/athletes who are essentially firing Kanye West. 

You hire a guy who is not that far removed from the allegations against him, I can assure you that there will be repercussions.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

you might be right, but money talks. Look at all the products/athletes who are essentially firing Kanye West. 

You hire a guy who is not that far removed from the allegations against him, I can assure you that there will be repercussions.

Winning cures everything...right?  lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Oh no doubt guy is canceled. What us fans would do and what a (let’s put it mildly) very liberal University would do in regards to hiring someone that has made the mistakes of Gruden are two different things. That said stranger things have happened…