Surprise prediction for this season?

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

TJD played 32 mpg and Race played 29 mpg last year and I think we'd all agree that was born out of necessity.

I'd like to see both of those numbers come down. Race averaged 7 ppg in his last 6 games, and you could tell he was gassed, especially in the tournament when we needed him most. 

I think everyone would agree that Logan is more serviceable than Michael Durr was on the offensive end and on the boards (there were 2 or 3 boards he had to fight for, and I thought he really scrapped and got them). Durr did have the ability to bump with the Kofis and Edeys of the world, but both Race and Trayce said Duncomb was better this year at holding his ground.

If Coach Woodson can get Race and Trayce down into the 25 mpg range, I can see Logan filling some of those minutes. 

I’m good with Race seeing his minutes come down to the 25 MPG range but not TJD. If he is an All-American (top 5 player in the country) I don’t want there to be 15 minutes per game he isn’t on the court. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DWB said:

My surprise is that I think CJ Gunn will get more minutes a game than Kopp by the end of the year. Not right away, but ½ way thru I think his minutes will increase IF he can improve his defense somewhat.

As an aside, I thought Gallo's shot looked pretty good today. He's still getting back into shape, but his defense smarts never left him.

Amen to this. As one of the original CJ Gunn fan club members I still don't know how or why CJ Gunn was one of the least talked about Indy area recruits in a long time. What he did yesterday is just a glimpse. Injected into game. Catches, release....3. Pure scorer that will be fun to watch over next few years. I keep saying Greg Graham with a better shot.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m good with Race seeing his minutes come down to the 25 MPG range but not TJD. If he is an All-American (top 5 player in the country) I don’t want there to be 15 minutes per game he isn’t on the court. 

My hope is we don't need him on the court for 32 mpg.

We didn't have many games last year where we could take him out early and let him rest. Hope that changes some this year. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Amen to this. As one of the original CJ Gunn fan club members I still don't know how or why CJ Gunn was one of the least talked about Indy area recruits in a long time. What he did yesterday is just a glimpse. Injected into game. Catches, release....3. Pure scorer that will be fun to watch over next few years. I keep saying Greg Graham with a better shot.

I think some of his injuries earlier in his career played into it. Kid can clearly play. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

My hope is we don't need him on the court for 32 mpg.

We didn't have many games last year where we could take him out early and let him rest. Hope that changes some this year. 

I don’t think it’s about how much we need him, it’s about him being the best player in the conference and one of the best in the country - we are going to play him a lot of minutes. He was playing his best ball at the end of last season.

Serious question, when is the last time a guy of his level only played 25 MPG for a  top 10 team?

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think it’s about how much we need him, it’s about him being the best player in the conference and one of the best in the country - we are going to play him a lot of minutes. He was playing his best ball at the end of last season.

Serious question, when is the last time a guy of his level only played 25 MPG for a  top 10 team?

Probably someone on UK's teams when Cal was running hockey shifts of 5 stars in and out of the lineup.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think some of his injuries earlier in his career played into it. Kid can clearly play. 

Absolutely. I watched him 3x this past winter. I kept leaving the games going what am I missing here? Going to be a great compliment to the elite PG's we have now and in future. Always room for a pure shooter. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Drew Timme was at 28 mpg last year. If we could get Trayce in that neighborhood I think it'd pay off. 

And as I said, his mpg were based on necessity. He indeed was playing his best at the end of the season, but we were in close games and we needed him. It was pretty much that way all last year.

If Malik Reneau is anywhere close to what we saw yesterday against stiffer competition we have an ultra-reliable backup for both Race and Trayce. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Also, he was bringing the ball up near the end and looked comfortable doing it... 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Drew Timme was at 28 mpg last year. If we could get Trayce in that neighborhood I think it'd pay off. 

And as I said, his mpg were based on necessity. He indeed was playing his best at the end of the season, but we were in close games and we needed him. It was pretty much that way all last year.

If Malik Reneau is anywhere close to what we saw yesterday against stiffer competition we have an ultra-reliable backup for both Race and Trayce. 

Thank you for proving how silly it is to suggest TJD play 25 MPG by showing Timme played 28 MPG in a clown conference. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Thank you for proving how silly it is to suggest TJD play 25 MPG by showing Timme played 28 MPG in a clown conference. 

And once again, you're missing the point.

The less Trayce plays, the fresher he's going to be at the end of the season when it really counts. The less chance for injury.

The less we need him out there, the better off we are... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The less Trayce plays, the fresher he's going to be at the end of the season when it really counts. The less chance for injury.

no I completely understand your point, I’m just telling you it isn’t a point based in reality. We don’t play in the WCC, we are going to have to play our best player more than 25 MPG to win the conference and get a high seed.

Of the best players in the B1G last year Liddell played the most mpg at a little over 32.

Kofi and Dickinson played a little more than 30

Michigan State had Christie at 30 and Brown at slightly less than 29. No one else on their roster played more than about 22

Edey played 19.

TJD played slightly over 32 last year and over 34 the year before.

Would love it if our other bigs were productive enough to get his minutes down to the 28 level 

• Like 2

There will games where Davis is only needed to play 25 and games where he needs to play 30+. Against UNC 30 +. Against northwestern 25 to 28 is probably about right. The big takeaway is we look like we actually can get very strong minutes from MR without a lot of drop off and Logan can provide some quality minutes. That will take pressure off race and trayce 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm perfectly fine with TJD getting 33 vs elite teams and 22 vs others. If we are as good as we hope to be, there should be a number of games where we won't need him at the end due to a big lead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I might be dead wrong on this one but he's bigger, better shooter and better handles than Greg Graham at same time. 

Comparisons are tricky as are phrases like "at same time".  Looking at Graham's stats...he started 16 games as a freshman, averaged 21 minutes per game, averaged just shy of 10 pts per game.  I have my doubts that Gunn will match those stats...but I could be wrong AND I hope that I am.  Oh yeah...Graham shot .487% on 2's and .387% for 3's.  

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I want our best players on the court as much as possible. If it is a blowout sure but if it is a tight game then I want him in 32+ minutes.  Still wonder when it came into play that your best players need to sit out so much in a game

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm perfectly fine with TJD getting 33 vs elite teams and 22 vs others. If we are as good as we hope to be, there should be a number of games where we won't need him at the end due to a big lead. 

And that's my overall point.

With what we have coming off the bench now, I'm willing to bet our second 5 won't give away a 12 point lead quicker than you can say "Michael Durr." 

25 might be low for overall average, but against the weaker non conference goes and the bottom of the Big 10 it'd be a nice number... 

One of my favorite answers. Answers like this are probably a big reason why he wasn't asked to transfer. Recognizing fault and willing to work on those faults are just awesome things to see out of a young dude. 

Still should have RS last year, but I am all about the flow and mullet moving forward. Hell, at minimum he can come in and bang... 5 fouls a game, and I'll assume he would have zero issue in stopping 2 points by committing a foul. 

Screenshot_20221030-143853_Twitter.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/29/2022 at 10:13 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

@5foulsfinds true love 

@Mikefinds a 12 step program for trolls

@Stlboiler23finds his own forum so he can talk about PUke somewhere else 

@BruceDouglasfinds a place where his team is relevant 

@IU Scottfinds a place in the 1980’s that loves old school sports 

These are my “surprise “ predictions and I hope all of them come true.

LOL, already found such a spot....at the top of the Big Ten standings. 😎