Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Boilers up on Penn St by 6 at the break...

Here's a little glimpse of what Edey gets away with constantly... He enters the lane with 27 seconds on the shot clock and doesn't exit til there are 20 seconds on the shot clock...

Would they ever call 3 seconds on him? 

If they ever called it, Painter would spend 5 minutes bitching about it at his next press conference.

• Like 3

Tonight's Purdue game is why I would rather let Edey get his and just cover the rest of the team.  Don't let other guys get going that can make it easier for Edey.  They hit 14 3's and Gillis hitting 9 and got a career high of 30. His previous high was 14 and went off tonight because he was wide open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Here's a little glimpse of what Edey gets away with constantly... He enters the lane with 27 seconds on the shot clock and doesn't exit til there are 20 seconds on the shot clock...

The three second count starts from when he establishes position in the paint which looks to be around 25 or 26 seconds left. He gets the ball right around 23 seconds at which point the three second count would stop since he’s trying to score the basketball. I’m sure there are times he blatantly gets away with it but this time wasn’t one. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The three second count starts from when he establishes position in the paint which looks to be around 25 or 26 seconds left. He gets the ball right around 23 seconds at which point the three second count would stop since he’s trying to score the basketball.

He doesn’t move that fast.  

Please don’t come on an IU site , especially right before a rivalry game, and try to spread your bull. 

Really, you have been welcomed here by the mods much more than many here would like. Don’t push your agenda too far. Especially with the next game coming up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

He doesn’t move that fast.  

Please don’t come on an IU site , especially right before a rivalry game, and try to spread your bull. 

Really, you have been welcomed here by the mods much more than many here would like. Don’t push your agenda too far. Especially with the next game coming up.

Discussing something I disagree with is spreading bull?. I never post around IU/Purdue games on purpose. But I appreciate your concern. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Penn State shot it's first free throw with ten minutes left...in the game.

There was actually less time left in our game with them when they shot their first one. I found myself hoping they would get a free throw at some point because that loss would be even more embarrassing with them having zero foul shots. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The three second count starts from when he establishes position in the paint which looks to be around 25 or 26 seconds left. He gets the ball right around 23 seconds at which point the three second count would stop since he’s trying to score the basketball. I’m sure there are times he blatantly gets away with it but this time wasn’t one. 

He was clearly in the lane at 26 on the shot clock. The count doesn't stop... It's suspended and the minute he stops trying for a goal and passes the ball out it resumes. 3 seconds any way you slice it.

As a reminder, a player is not permitted to have any part of his body in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of his team in his front court. (Exception 9-9.1.a).

A three second count shall be suspended when a player who has been in the lane for fewer than three seconds has made a conscientious effort to leave the lane, usually by taking the shortest distance out of the area. When the player decides not to leave the area and has been in the lane for more than three seconds, he has committed a violation.

When a player, who has been in the lane for fewer than three seconds, immediately dribbles or makes a move to try for a goal, the three second count shall be suspended to allow for the completion of the try. However, when the player passes the ball or aborts his try for goal, the suspended count shall continue. When that player is in the lane for more than three seconds, a violation has been committed.
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It isn't only Edey, but beyond the 3 second call, the defensive player has a set position in the lane and Edey is allowed to bull him out of that position.  To me that is an offensive foul.

The Penn State defender starts at the free throw line with position and Edey is allowed to knock him back to right outside the protected zone under the basket.  It never gets called but that is a charge.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It isn't only Edey, but beyond the 3 second call, the defensive player has a set position in the lane and Edey is allowed to bull him out of that position.  To me that is an offensive foul.

The Penn State defender starts at the free throw line with position and Edey is allowed to knock him back to right outside the protected zone under the basket.  It never gets called but that is a charge.

Agree!!! I never liked the way the rules and officiating allow players to just move people off of an established position. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Agree!!! I never liked the way the rules and officiating allow players to just move people off of an established position. 

Allowing that is the reason for the majority of contact in the paint.  Our bigs get away with it too (everyone in this league does) but Edey gets a bigger advantage out of it because of his sheer size.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Allowing that is the reason for the majority of contact in the paint.  Our bigs get away with it too (everyone in this league does) but Edey gets a bigger advantage out of it because of his sheer size.

And the fact that most refs only see his knees when looking straight ahead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s my question for you: how often do you actually see 3 seconds called? I honestly know that Edey gets away with it plenty but maybe it’s something officials just don’t really pay attention to?

It is a rule for a reason.  Apparently these days the refs are more concerned about resetting the shot clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s my question for you: how often do you actually see 3 seconds called? I honestly know that Edey gets away with it plenty but maybe it’s something officials just don’t really pay attention to?

It's an unfair advantage for a 7'4 dude... If they hadn't called it back in the day, Wilt Chamberlain would have averaged 70 ppg rather than the 50 he did average in 1961... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

It's an unfair advantage for a 7'4 dude... If they hadn't called it back in the day, Wilt Chamberlain would have averaged 70 ppg rather than the 50 he did average in 1961... 

Someone needs to tweet or get this to the student section somehow they should count 1,2,3.....every time Edey enters the lane. If the refs aren't going to call it on the up and up....shame them into calling it.

• Like 4