IU vs SF - It’s been awhile…

It looked like Banks didn't suit up against St. Francis. In the highlight video on YouTube at the end he was in a hoodie. I wish Leal got more run time along with Duncomb especially these exhibition games. I am super excited to see what we have but I am holding my reservations until we start playing high level competition. I want to see how our players and to a greater extent freshman play under duress pressure and when they get popped in the mouth. Not saying they won't adjust or even shine brighter but at the same time I have seen how things have fallen apart when pushed. I will agree though if things hold true and we can overcome the struggles of the slog called the Big Ten this team has the talent leadership experience and most of all just plain insane depth to push for something special!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danomatic said:

First, it’s been a little while since I’ve been on the board, and it’s been awhile since I’ve been this excited about the program.

I typically go to a few games each season and always take my son, since he shares the passion as much as I do. Tonight, I decided that I’d take my daughter and mom along too. Neither of them have ever been to AH to see a game, and even though it was an exhibition, my mother had tears in her eyes as we walked in through the tunnel. Such an awesome, wholesome moment. My daughter was so excited, she decided that she was going to commit at eight years old! 😎 My son was able to see a couple of kids that have played against Madison in the past two years, in Bailey and Northern, so he enjoyed it as per usual. 

Now for the game, and some observations:

1. Our depth is something I haven’t seen at IU in… maybe ever? I don’t know if Banks dressed or not, but you have to think that he, Duncomb and Leal could play, if not start at some of the lower level D1 schools - and they’re apparently our 11th, 12th, and 13th scholarship player options on the depth chart. 

2. Our freshmen were impressive. I had a feeling that JHS and Malik would be solid, but they were much better, as far as making an impact, than I anticipated. I get that they weren’t going up against high level D1 players… I get it. But they still have to make the right pass, take the right shot etc. and they did all of that at such a high level, I was really impressed. Malik had a couple of nice step-back jumpers that looked effortless, and looked good handling the rock. JHS does everything very well, and at a high level… let’s enjoy this kid, because he may not be here long. I also really liked what I saw from CJ Gunn. That kid looks like he’s put on at least 15 pounds of muscle since he arrived. He looked comfortable, and didn’t try to do too much. 

3. Our front court is going to be a problem for everyone we play. They’ll be capable of adapting to smaller lineups, and playing bully ball as needed.TJD and Race, while going against much smaller opponents, made everything look easy. As they should, but man, what a pair. 

4. Bates and XJ looked great, but made a couple of mistakes when they tried to do too much themselves. They can get any shot that they want, and can create for others as well. 

5. Miller Kopp looked nice. He knocked down his open shots and played smart basketball. I think he’s going to provide everything that we thought we were getting last season, this year. 

6. Jordan Geronimo might be my favorite player since Yogi. His high motor and explosiveness are elite. I love the energy that he brings every time he touches the floor. That young man has springs for legs!

7. The idea of having a first and second unit and subbing like the NBA didn’t sit well with me at first, and Woody may have to shorten the leash as the season moves along… but from what I watched tonight, this may actually work and work well. All of the guys looked fresh, all game. 

In conclusion, I’m happy with what I saw at the Hall this evening. I think we’re in for a fun season my friends! 🍻 

Nice post.

If you and @olsontex ever co-write a post, it will crash our server.  (Just kidding)

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Danomatic said:

First, it’s been a little while since I’ve been on the board, and it’s been awhile since I’ve been this excited about the program.

I typically go to a few games each season and always take my son, since he shares the passion as much as I do. Tonight, I decided that I’d take my daughter and mom along too. Neither of them have ever been to AH to see a game, and even though it was an exhibition, my mother had tears in her eyes as we walked in through the tunnel. Such an awesome, wholesome moment. My daughter was so excited, she decided that she was going to commit at eight years old! 😎 My son was able to see a couple of kids that have played against Madison in the past two years, in Bailey and Northern, so he enjoyed it as per usual. 

Now for the game, and some observations:

1. Our depth is something I haven’t seen at IU in… maybe ever? I don’t know if Banks dressed or not, but you have to think that he, Duncomb and Leal could play, if not start at some of the lower level D1 schools - and they’re apparently our 11th, 12th, and 13th scholarship player options on the depth chart. 

2. Our freshmen were impressive. I had a feeling that JHS and Malik would be solid, but they were much better, as far as making an impact, than I anticipated. I get that they weren’t going up against high level D1 players… I get it. But they still have to make the right pass, take the right shot etc. and they did all of that at such a high level, I was really impressed. Malik had a couple of nice step-back jumpers that looked effortless, and looked good handling the rock. JHS does everything very well, and at a high level… let’s enjoy this kid, because he may not be here long. I also really liked what I saw from CJ Gunn. That kid looks like he’s put on at least 15 pounds of muscle since he arrived. He looked comfortable, and didn’t try to do too much. 

3. Our front court is going to be a problem for everyone we play. They’ll be capable of adapting to smaller lineups, and playing bully ball as needed.TJD and Race, while going against much smaller opponents, made everything look easy. As they should, but man, what a pair. 

4. Bates and XJ looked great, but made a couple of mistakes when they tried to do too much themselves. They can get any shot that they want, and can create for others as well. 

5. Miller Kopp looked nice. He knocked down his open shots and played smart basketball. I think he’s going to provide everything that we thought we were getting last season, this year. 

6. Jordan Geronimo might be my favorite player since Yogi. His high motor and explosiveness are elite. I love the energy that he brings every time he touches the floor. That young man has springs for legs!

7. The idea of having a first and second unit and subbing like the NBA didn’t sit well with me at first, and Woody may have to shorten the leash as the season moves along… but from what I watched tonight, this may actually work and work well. All of the guys looked fresh, all game. 

In conclusion, I’m happy with what I saw at the Hall this evening. I think we’re in for a fun season my friends! 🍻 

Good to see you around here. Likewise, I find myself not really posting much anymore like I used to. Career and kiddos have done that to me lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

It looked like Banks didn't suit up against St. Francis. In the highlight video on YouTube at the end he was in a hoodie. I wish Leal got more run time along with Duncomb especially these exhibition games. I am super excited to see what we have but I am holding my reservations until we start playing high level competition. I want to see how our players and to a greater extent freshman play under duress pressure and when they get popped in the mouth. Not saying they won't adjust or even shine brighter but at the same time I have seen how things have fallen apart when pushed. I will agree though if things hold true and we can overcome the struggles of the slog called the Big Ten this team has the talent leadership experience and most of all just plain insane depth to push for something special!

I read that Duncomb and Banks were getting over an illness.

• Like 2