2022-2023 IUWBB Season Thread

FR Henna Sandvik is someone to watch. She played 17 mins last night, tied a career high in that dept, hit a 3 and looked confident on another. In general, she looked confident last night. Seeing defensive rotations and chasing rebounds. She's 6ft, a tick slow footed, but I think she can overcome some of that by simply being smart. 

Anyways, I mentioned in the game thread, her play last night was better than we've seen from Peterson, so that is exciting. Just another weapon to help absorb the temporary loss of Grace Berger. 

At the European Championships this summer... she avged 13p 9r for his Finnish team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Seasons stats:

Holmes- 21p 7r 73% FGs

Scalia- 13p 4r 37% from 3 on 7 attempts a game 

Garzon- 12p 4r 4a 54% from 3 20-37

Parrish- 12p 6r

Berger- 10p 5r 5a 

CMM- 10p 5a 4r 38% from 3 10-26 and 22-24 from the FT line 

Love them all but the first time I say CMM play I was hooked !! Now if I could only talk my grand daughter into getting into basketball!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Love them all but the first time I say CMM play I was hooked !! Now if I could only talk my grand daughter into getting into basketball!

I agree about CMM! Also I somewhat recently found out there is hope for my California grandsons! Even though they are into football, baseball and Jiu-Jitsu. My daughter who if not for being vertically challenged was a pretty good player. She had them out shooting baskets!!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I agree about CMM! Also I somewhat recently found out there is hope for my California grandsons! Even though they are into football, baseball and Jiu-Jitsu. My daughter who if not for being vertically challenged was a pretty good player. She had them out shooting baskets!!

Good luck man, I hope they can get into it. It sounds like they’re pretty active anyway so what’s one more thing!! Lol

My grand daughter is 9 and already 5’2”. I expect her to end up 6’ ish. Built just like CMM and athletic as &)/)! She’s pushin back on me hard though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Good luck man, I hope they can get into it. It sounds like they’re pretty active anyway so what’s one more thing!! Lol

My grand daughter is 9 and already 5’2”. I expect her to end up 6’ ish. Built just like CMM and athletic as &)/)! She’s pushin back on me hard though. 

5’2”, already? That’s where my daughter stopped growing! Sounds like my grandson who just turned 1 and is already into 2year old clothes. Unfortunately he’s already being brainwashed into being a Michigan football player? We only live 45 minutes from Ann Arbor?

• Like 1

The women are now up to 4 in the new AP rankings, behind only South Carolina, Stanford, and Ohio State. UConn's loss dropped them to 6, moving us up a spot. Yeah, that's right, we're ahead of UConn, and Notre Dame, and Tennessee, and just about every  other legacy program in the country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Just odd timing.  Can she play elsewhere 2nd semester?

Not necessarily odd timing when you factor in Henna had just jumped her in the rotation and its pretty clear she's better to substantially better, imo.  I think that lines up... 

But... I would say a time when most don't usually enter the portal, though, for sure.  

Do these kids think that this is an attraction for coaches, though? Like.. she's a marginal player..  if I'm a D1 coach she's crossed off my list because she quit on her team. 

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not necessarily odd timing when you factor in Henna had just jumped her in the rotation and its pretty clear she's better to substantially better, imo.  I think that lines up... 

But... I would say a time when most don't usually enter the portal, though, for sure.  

Do these kids think that this is an attraction for coaches, though? Like.. she's a marginal player..  if I'm a D1 coach she's crossed off my list because she quit on her team. 

Someone recently posted that 41% of football players that entered the portal were not on a d1 team this year.  Pretty wild.  She must be miserable and have some personal things going on because she's likely to be moving back in with her parents for at least a semester.   Why not ride out the season and potentially go to a final four?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Someone recently posted that 41% of football players that entered the portal were not on a d1 team this year.  Pretty wild.  She must be miserable and have some personal things going on because she's likely to be moving back in with her parents for at least a semester.   Why not ride out the season and potentially go to a final four?

Wow...definitely speaks to the wisdom of sticking it out and at least getting a college degree.

...and I agree...unless life at IU is terrible, I'd get over the butthurt and put a happy face on things.  Practice hard against excellent quality and sharpen my game.  Have an honest conversation with coach and tell her that you're moving on after the year, but until then, you'll be a good teammate, practice hard and get your grades.  I think the coach would respect that and likely help you find another home better suited to your talent.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...definitely speaks to the wisdom of sticking it out and at least getting a college degree.

...and I agree...unless life at IU is terrible, I'd get over the butthurt and put a happy face on things.  Practice hard against excellent quality and sharpen my game.  Have an honest conversation with coach and tell her that you're moving on after the year, but until then, you'll be a good teammate, practice hard and get your grades.  I think the coach would respect that and likely help you find another home better suited to your talent.

100% "don't burn bridges"! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I used to tell snowling all the time that Mackenzie Holmes is a beast and that I would put her up against any of the mens players 1v1.

This whole womens team has an incredible work ethic. They are so locked in to each other and the task before them.

11-0 with an 87-24 win over Morehead St.

Any word on Grace Berger?

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Oh, and btw. Lady Hoosiers handled Butler 67-50.

Love the Lady Hoosiers and so appreciate the job Coach Moren has done. She is the whole package in my opinion.  Butler played well and with Coach Parkinson at the helm they will be relevant in a few years. Austin is one of the best young coaching talents in college basketball.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...