Morehead State Post Game Thread

KDB

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

Both ways...both coaches spent much of their timeouts bitching at them. Shocked their coach made it the whole game. When he got the tech there wasnt even a foul. On the flagrant call the bald ref told the other refs to hurry up they were wasting time. The Ref that called it put his hand up to him to back him off, never seen anything like it. I had my license for years and never seen another official say anything like that before.

I did have the head of NCAA officials tell me guys were afraid to Ref IU games when Mike Davis was the coach because he was unstable. LOL.

Oh yeah, it was definitely both ways terrible. Very inconsistent all night no matter who had the ball. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Unfortunately I didn't get to see it. But the stat line was pretty satisfying.  

No longer have to worry when TJD takes a break. 

Watching again and I especially liked that when both X & JHS were on the bench with 2 fouls, Tamar and Galloway filled in quite nicely.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Indykev said:

.both coaches spent much of their timeouts bitching at them (the refs).

One of Knight's players once argued with a ref.  Knight yelled at his player on the spot.

"Hey, you just play the game.  Me and the refs will officiate tonight just fine without your help."

The ref was standing right there and laughed.

That's how it's done.  Finesse. 

Edited by Madison22
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So admittedly I only watched the highlight clip on YouTube so I didn't get the full scope of everything but it seemed like our perimeter defense got lost on switching or over helped which led to easier buckets on the perimeter or a dump down to the post for an easy 2. This was Morehead State so I am hoping we can clamp down more on our perimeter defense in the upcoming games. I don't want our guys to let them get comfortable from deep at all or do like we did in the past and let an 8th 9th or 10th deep player go off for a season and sometimes a career high in points. Once again this is only what I saw from the highlights video so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. Also for the love of all that is good can we please please please make our free throws. They are called free for a reason. I'm just asking for a reasonable number nothing outrageous like 70% for the team. 

The good takeaways from this are everyone is willing to make the pass and be selfless. It seems like everyone is more comfortable with the offense and defense. People seem to be finding their roles better besides maybe Xavier. I love how deep this team is. It reminds me of the 80 mens olympic hockey team. When our guys get tired time for a line change. I know a little different but still the comparison holds. Our freshmen are proving to be more poised and mature than their years. Which I will take a wait and see approach for the tougher teams. Tamar Bates Jordon Geronimo both look like they are about to break out into what everyone imagines them to be capable of. I feel like the next couple years are going to be looking bright as well cause if we lose Renau and JHS CJ Gunn and Kaleb Banks look like they could pick up the slack from losing those two. So it seems like Woody is building our team for not just one year ala Crean but trying to piece together layers that will make an impact years 234. I mean honestly I am nitpicking cause this team looks poised for a good if not great run this year! I just hope they have that fight put in them by Woodson that when they get popped in the mouth they pop them right back and don't let up, that killer instinct!

I think the perimeter defense can easily be fixed, I think it’s just miscommunication when they go from switching everything to not. I noticed on a few plays where they stopped switching, one guy got lost because they tried to switch, but weren’t supposed to. I know you said you only watched the highlights but wanted to point that out. I think this defense can be elite this year if they can fix that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Watching again and I especially liked that when both X & JHS were on the bench with 2 fouls, Tamar and Galloway filled in quite nicely.

I think if both X and JHS are out, I would like to see Race and Kopp in there to help with ball-handling. Bates and Trey will be fine, but would like to give them help if they are being pressured.

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mike is a good person and I wonder if he’s still viewed as unstable.  I think he was really feeling the heat and was under qualified.  In other words, he felt the stress of being in over his head and it manifested itself this way.  He has essentially admitted that, and that the job was too big for him.   

• Like 2

One thing that hasn't been brought up here is the performance from Freeman. When he left the game, we started to distance ourselves from them. It would have been a much closer game if he had stayed out there. Hopefully, the guys will learn from this and be better prepared for the smaller, quicker guys they will face. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

One thing that hasn't been brought up here is the performance from Freeman. When he left the game, we started to distance ourselves from them. It would have been a much closer game if he had stayed out there. Hopefully, the guys will learn from this and be better prepared for the smaller, quicker guys they will face. 

Good point.  That’s one area where Rob was really good.  But the tradeoff for length is locking down the quick smaller guy.  X and especially JHS will have to compensate with positioning, and their length and strength.   Almost like a bigger corner in football covering a small fast receiver.  

• Like 1

CJ Gunn.  Great kid and family.  He’s got good length (6’5 or 6’6) and is sound. Squares up on his shot.  He’s young and has to get stronger and gain understanding with experience.  But he profiles nicely in time with his makeup, length, and ability.  Modern player of a type that’s in demand.  I think everyone is positively excited about his potential.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

He did hit some tough shots... And on the drive he got injured on I thought we were starting to play him tougher... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

CJ Gunn.  Great kid and family.  He’s got good length (6’5 or 6’6) and is sound. Squares up on his shot.  He’s young and has to get stronger and gain understanding with experience.  But he profiles nicely in time with his makeup, length, and ability.  Modern player of a type that’s in demand.  I think everyone is positively excited about his potential.  

Oh... he and Banks both. 

They're just a product of being on a really good team. Does last night burn their RS year? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh... he and Banks both. 

They're just a product of being on a really good team. Does last night burn their RS year? 

My understanding is yes.  As far as I know, basketball doesn’t have the equivalent to the football rule where you  get four free games without burning the redshirt.

I 100% think basketball should have the same rule.  Do it as a percentage of total games.  It might be ten games.

Basketball does have the injury redshirt where you can play some games.  Bit football has both concepts.

Duncomb burned his last year which to me is a shame. He barely played and would be a total animal as a fifth year senior.  We’ve seen that movie many times where someone really benefits as a fifth year senior.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'm excited by all the freshman. And looking to see if Newton and Cupps can keep it going next year. They all look like guys that will be easy to cheer for. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I think the perimeter defense can easily be fixed, I think it’s just miscommunication when they go from switching everything to not. I noticed on a few plays where they stopped switching, one guy got lost because they tried to switch, but weren’t supposed to. I know you said you only watched the highlights but wanted to point that out. I think this defense can be elite this year if they can fix that.

Absolutely agree this defense could be elige and one of the best we have seen in a long time! All the pieces are there. I mean you have athletic freaks of Race and TJD down in the post waiting to swat the balls! You have big strong guards on the outside! Kopp as a 3 I think will have the toughest time matching up with quick guards on the perimeter but still I feel that can be easily remedied with our depth. I think the thing that will hold us back the most is our free throw and 3 point shooting. If we can get those up to respectable levels and have a volume of 3 pointers rather than just 11 in a game I feel we will be able to match up well with just about anyone in the nation.

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My understanding is yes.  As far as I know, basketball doesn’t have the equivalent to the football rule where you  get four free games without burning the redshirt.

I 100% think basketball should have the same rule.  Do it as a percentage of total games.  It might be ten games.

Basketball does have the injury redshirt where you can play some games.  Bit football has both concepts.

Duncomb burned his last year which to me is a shame. He barely played and would be a total animal as a fifth year senior.  We’ve seen that movie many times where someone really benefits as a fifth year senior.  

If I'm Gunn or Banks, I want to play this year, on this team.  Why?  Because a Final Four is a realistic goal for this team.  Who knows what next year brings.  We could conceivably be replacing all 5 starters.  Sure, several of those guys on the bench will be ready to assume a starter's role next season.  But, that does not fully offset the fact that TJD, Race, Kopp, X, and JHS could all be gone.  And, yes, from what I've seen so far, I will be surprised if JHS comes back.  The potential is off the charts.  His game is tailor-made for the NBA.  Coach Woodson will have him NBA ready by the end of the season.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I'm Gunn or Banks, I want to play this year, on this team.  Why?  Because a Final Four is a realistic goal for this team.  Who knows what next year brings.  We could conceivably be replacing all 5 starters.  Sure, several of those guys on the bench will be ready to assume a starter's role next season.  But, that does not fully offset the fact that TJD, Race, Kopp, X, and JHS could all be gone.  And, yes, from what I've seen so far, I will be surprised if JHS comes back.  The potential is off the charts.  His game is tailor-made for the NBA.  Coach Woodson will have him NBA ready by the end of the season.  

The one mock draft I saw had JHS  going 31 and TJD going 51. Not sure if JHS goes if going that low. It does mean he would go to a good team though.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Neither one will see many mins, that's for sure. And Gunn has a ton of work to do in the weight room. Don't really understand why they wouldn't be RS. Any role they play this year, on this team, Leal can probably handle just fine. Oh well... the RS is burnt now. Moving on

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2014Hoosier said:

Was anyone else annoyed by one both of the announcers repeatedly ??  saying that TJD was out for over 10 minutes when he was clearly wrong. I just rewatched the game again and it bothered me just as much today

There...fixed it for you !

• Haha 1