Xavier Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It didn't shorten in November last year, it shortened later in the season when injuries and discipline issues happened and you had a freshman (Bates) that was playing inconsistently so he got inconsistent minutes. 

The question of why would it get shorter right now (from the 9 man rotation we've been playing) is a valid response to your pondering what will happen to the rotation and if the bench will get shorter. It's literally what Mike Woodson is going to have to think through with regards to it. The most likely answer is that we will see the same 9 man rotation but the minute dispersion will change unless we beat Xavier by a lot more points than I think any of us are expecting. 

If you don't want to discuss why it would or wouldn't get shorter, then why'd you say "Interested to see how the rotation works and whether the bench gets shorter"? 

I believe during the game against Bethune Cookman Hummel said something along the lines of expecting Woodson to shorten his bench because it’s hard to play 9 guys. I just remember thinking that was a dumb statement because there’s no apparent reason why any of the 9 guys getting minutes right now won’t continue to do so.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I believe during the game against Bethune Cookman Hummel said something along the lines of expecting Woodson to shorten his bench because it’s hard to play 9 guys. I just remember thinking that was a dumb statement because there’s no apparent reason why any of the 9 guys getting minutes right now won’t continue to do so.

That's a really weird statement. Purdue played 10 guys in their December non-con game against NC State last year, and all were over 8 minutes in an OT game so I feel comfortable saying none of this was mop up duty. Anything in the 8-10 range seems like a very normal rotation, just depending on your depth. 

3 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

How is it hard to play 9 guys? lol tf? 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

That's a really weird statement. Purdue played 10 guys in their December non-con game against NC State last year, and all were over 8 minutes in an OT game so I feel comfortable saying none of this was mop up duty. Anything in the 8-10 range seems like a very normal rotation, just depending on your depth. 

100% 

We have 9 guys on our team that deserve mins, we are better with 9 guys CONSISTENTLY playing. That is the best verison of our team. 

• Like 4

@Euroclydon - Interested to see how the rotation works and whether the bench gets shorter.

KoB - I'm just curious, why would the bench get shorter? 

@Euroclydon - Read it again. I don't want the bench to be shorter but I'll be watching to see if it is. 

KoB - My question still stands, why would the bench get shorter? Who would get cut?

@Euroclydon - My response still stands. NOBODY said it should be shorter.

Those are all direct quotes from our back and forth, I'm genuinely confused. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Especially for our team. We have 9 guys that DESERVE minutes on this team like @btownqb mentioned. And we’ve got guys out of the rotation that could very well be getting minutes on other B1G teams. This isn’t your typical team where there is a significant drop off after about 5, 6, or 7 guys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

@Euroclydon - Interested to see how the rotation works and whether the bench gets shorter.

KoB - I'm just curious, why would the bench get shorter? 

@Euroclydon - Read it again. I don't want the bench to be shorter but I'll be watching to see if it is. 

KoB - My question still stands, why would the bench get shorter? Who would get cut?

@Euroclydon - My response still stands. NOBODY said it should be shorter.

Those are all direct quotes from our back and forth, I'm genuinely confused. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 6

Just now, DWB said:

Re: playing 9 guys

TBH, the 2nd unit has played better in both of the games than the starters. At least for the first sub out rotation. Starters got the message and ramped it up after that.

We BETTER play 9-10 guys. We need the energy they bring.

HELL YES!! They are just different. Galloway and JG bring elements the starters don't have! plus Malik is just a STUD and we can all see Bates value. 

So the sub pattern in the first half last game...

At the 13 minute mark, Galloway, Reneau, and Bates, sub in for Kopp, TJD, and JHS. 

At the 11 minute mark, Geronimo, and JHS sub in for Race and XJ. Trayce in for Geronimo at the 6:30 mark and Race for Malik and Kopp for Galloway a minute later...XJ I'm for Bates at the 3 minute mark... 

Our top 9 in minutes played (total) so far...

Screenshot_20221114-103526.thumb.png.748ae753f723f3933aa572cb49b31401.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

200 minutes in a standard college basketball game.

27 x 4 = 108

15 × 4 = 60

32 × 1 = 32 (TJD)

108+60+32=200

4+4+1=9

Who gets the 27 on a given night and who gets 15 depends on who is playing well. But, honestly a 9 man rotation, assuming all 9 are good players, might just be optimal when compared to 7 or 8 man rotations that require extended minutes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

27 x 4 = 108

15 × 4 = 60

32 × 1 = 32 (TJD)

108+60+32=200

4+4+1=9

Who gets the 27 on a given night and who gets 15 depends on who is playing well. But, honestly a 9 man rotation, assuming all 9 are good players, might just be optimal when compared to 7 or 8 man rotations that require extended minutes.

Especially over the span of 35-40 games. And... simply speaking in terms of Jimmies and Joes... 

You can't cut TG from the rotation because we have to have his ball handling/defense/energy/intangibles, you clearly aren't cutting MR from the rotation because he is just effing good..... so does anyone here really not want JG or TB to see the floor? Because those would be the two. 

Quite honestly, I think our rotation is perfect. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

27 x 4 = 108

15 × 4 = 60

32 × 1 = 32 (TJD)

108+60+32=200

4+4+1=9

This makes so much sense when you have 9 guys playing well. Obviously it doesn't have to be exactly 27 and 15, could have one guy play 10 and another play 30 and another 29, but the point is spot on. 

Now if you don't have 9 capable guys, or have injuries, discipline issues, whatever, then of course you shorten it. But you want to play 9 guys (or 10 if we had 10 Woody felt deserved it) when you can because those issues will happen, and you don't want to throw someone into the fire that hasn't played if you can avoid it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

At the 13 minute mark, Galloway, Reneau, and Bates, sub in for Kopp, TJD, and JHS. 

At the 11 minute mark, Geronimo, and JHS sub in for Race and XJ. Trayce in for Geronimo at the 6:30 mark and Race for Malik and Kopp for Galloway a minute later...XJ I'm for Bates at the 3 minute mark... 

These minutes were influenced by the blowouts. Friday at Xavier should give us a much better idea of what to expect for the minutes in the closer games. While I'd like TJD to sit the last 10, I don't think we'll see that. 

I'm curious to see what wrinkles Woody adds during this week off from games. Adjustments to minutes and or new plays on offense?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

These minutes were influenced by the blowouts. Friday at Xavier should give us a much better idea of what to expect for the minutes in the closer games. While I'd like TJD to sit the last 10, I don't think we'll see that. 

I'm curious to see what wrinkles Woody adds during this week off from games. Adjustments to minutes and or new plays on offense?

True, but I also think the first half sub pattern vs BC at least (not the total minutes though) might look very similar...

JHS has the most minutes so far, but I don't know if that's an effort by Coach Woodson to accelerate his growth or how he truly wants to play him longer term...

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I can't imagine Xavier being willing to single cover TJD. I hope they do though! 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

27 x 4 = 108

15 × 4 = 60

32 × 1 = 32 (TJD)

108+60+32=200

4+4+1=9

OK, I'm now convinced that you are a "Purdue" plant attempting to undermine IU and this board.

My proof is that only a "Purdue" person would use math to justify an argument like this.

I mean "come on man".

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, slojoe said:

OK, I'm now convinced that you are a "Purdue" plant attempting to undermine IU and this board.

My proof is that only a "Purdue" person would use math to justify an argument like this.

I mean "come on man".

If I was truly a Purdue plant, I would also use livestock and ugly coed analogies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

True, but I also think the first half sub pattern vs BC at least (not the total minutes though) might look very similar...

JHS has the most minutes so far, but I don't know if that's an effort by Coach Woodson to accelerate his growth or how he truly wants to play him longer term...

As for the first half sub pattern, I'd expect the starters to return earlier and get a little more time - unless the bench is outplaying X.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What a luxury having this much talent fighting for minutes, and on most teams Duncombe, Banks and Gunn would be in the mix too.

• Like 3