Xavier Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, btownqb said:

All legitimate criticisms of our staff. I am frustrated with the half court offense, some, as well. I, too, think we need to keep pushing tempo, as you mentioned, even after makes. The ball undoubtedly sticks in certain players hands. Race is one of the worse culprits. This is a really good post, man. I enjoyed reading it. 

Agree with you and @mchenry34 on the tempo issue. Love that we push it on misses and turnovers but agree it would be good to play faster after makes too. 

While it's hard to argue against it because TJD is playing so well, but I think we get stuck in this 4 out/1 in half court offense where everyone is standing around looking at TJD in the post. 

Things get stagnant and then if we don't get it to TJD then we usually end up with a tough shot. I think that is contributing to guys like Kopp, JHS and Bates sometimes struggling offensively. 

Just going anecdotally, but I feel like "the others" look more loose offensively when TJD is out because we go to a more fluid offense. 

To be clear, TJD is phenomenal and I am by no means saying anything negative about him here. He's our best player and MVP. Just making an observation. 

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

Agree with you and @mchenry34 on the tempo issue. Love that we push it on misses and turnovers but agree it would be good to play faster after makes too. 

While it's hard to argue against it because TJD is playing so well, but I think we get stuck in this 4 out/1 in half court offense where everyone is standing around looking at TJD in the post. 

Things get stagnant and then if we don't get it to TJD then we usually end up with a tough shot. I think that is contributing to guys like Kopp, JHS and Bates sometimes struggling offensively. 

Just going anecdotally, but I feel like "the others" look more loose offensively when TJD is out because we go to a more fluid offense. 

To be clear, TJD is phenomenal and I am by no means saying anything negative about him here. He's our best player and MVP. Just making an observation. 

I really agree with this. And I think it unquestionably effects Bates+Kopp and Thompson, imo. I think Fino needs to be in attack mode more often.. push the issue in terms of penetrating, doesn't necessarily have to shoot, just get the defense in any sort of rotation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I really agree with this. And I think it unquestionably effects Bates+Kopp and Thompson, imo. I think Fino needs to be in attack mode more often.. push the issue in terms of penetrating, doesn't necessarily have to shoot, just get the defense in any sort of rotation. 

Oh yeah, Race too. He might be hurt by it more then anyone. 

Agree on JHS too, just needs to play faster, get into transition opportunities and get to fhe basket. Get some easy shots, make some things happen and get that confidence up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Oh yeah, Race too. He might be hurt by it more then anyone. 

Agree on JHS too, just needs to play faster, get into transition opportunities and get to fhe basket. Get some easy shots, make some things happen and get that confidence up. 

With the 2nd group, I wouldn't mind seeing Fino get a post touch with JG in a corner and MR short corner/some sort of down screen action. Just a wrinkle... can't be many guards want anything to do with JHS on the block. 

I'd just like to see a little more out of our offense, but no TG hurts our ability to do that stuff, for sure. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

With the 2nd group, I wouldn't mind seeing Fino get a post touch with JG in a corner and MR short corner/some sort of down screen action. Just a wrinkle... can't be many guards want anything to do with JHS on the block. 

I'd just like to see a little more out of our offense, but no TG hurts our ability to do that stuff, for sure. 

Love that idea with JHS. Would have loved to see some actions last night to get that small guard Ohio had switched onto JHS and then get him on the block. 

Has Shaq would say, that's BBQ chicken. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Love that idea with JHS. Would have loved to see some actions last night to get that small guard Ohio had switched onto JHS and then get him on the block. 

Has Shaq would say, that's BBQ chicken. 

Outside of Jay Wright at Villanova and the Maldonado kid at Wyoming, you rarely see guards posting up. I think JHS is certainly capable of doing that given his size and skillset. Good call on that and I'd love to see if we ever add that at some point this season. 

• Like 2

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

Outside of Jay Wright at Villanova and the Maldonado kid at Wyoming, you rarely see guards posting up. I think JHS is certainly capable of doing that given his size and skillset. Good call on that and I'd love to see if we ever add that at some point this season. 

I've never seen offense ran like Wyomings in general lol Those guards won't be any sort of accustomed to guarding in the post, either. Could lead to some foul trouble for other teams. 

Either way, this is NOT me telling Woodson how to coach offense, I have no idea if JHS in the post would work long term or against good teams, but something else seems to need to be added to our offense. jmo ... and it's only game 5 this Wednesday and we are still 10 days from December... longggg way to go. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've never seen offense ran like Wyomings in general lol Those guards won't be any sort of accustomed to guarding in the post, either. Could lead to some foul trouble for other teams. 

Either way, this is NOT me telling Woodson how to coach offense, I have no idea if JHS in the post would work long term or against good teams, but something else seems to need to be added to our offense. jmo ... and it's only game 5 this Wednesday and we are still 10 days from December... longggg way to go. 

Very fair point haha. But yeah I would just like to see us try it a few times. I do agree we need to add something to our offense. All the points made up above I agree with. Whatever wrinkle that may be I'm okay with. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It would be a great thing for the team and for JHS to add to his skillset. It would serve him really well in the NBA someday, too. 

• Like 3