Miami Post Game

Inequality

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I have been very pleasantly surprised with Gunn. Seeing him come in and get after it defensively in the first half was one of the highlights of the game for me. 

Same here. I greatly underestimated him. He looks a lot better than I thought he would so far this season. I thought he would barely play even in blowouts and wouldn't do much in the time he did get. I also thought it would be a few years for him to develop. I was wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Gunn needs to get Bates’ minutes. He’s much better on both ends of the floor. I REALLY want Bates to succeed and I know it’s still early but based on the small sample size, I just don’t see it. Would rather let Gunn start getting that experience

The thing with Bates is that he was so highly ranked and those guys are expected to have an immediate impact. I know it's tougher coming into a situation where no one on the team is familiar and comfortable in the offense since this is basically the first year for it and TJD is the focus. It's just aggravating when you look at guys that were ranked near him, like Branham (OH St), Tyrese Hunter (IA St, Tx), Bryce Hopkins (Ky, Providence) and Sallis (Gonzaga) to a lesser extent.  I hope he can put it together soon and become another legitimate scoring option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I did too, but where's the cocky, confident kid Coach Woodson talked about last year? He seems like he's having his doubts right now... 

Having a little girl will do that to you. A lot on his plate right now. When I first held my daughter, everything changed for me. I think he will settle in and find the balance he needs to be good at both being a basketball player and a dad.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Having a little girl will do that to you. A lot on his plate right now. When I first held my daughter, everything changed for me. I think he will settle in and find the balance he needs to be good at both being a basketball player and a dad.

I hope Dakich was right that there were a couple of good players in the portal that wanted to play for CMW.  I'd love to see him bring in a couple of guys that can shoot/score. Maybe Bates figures it out or maybe not but I don't want to totally count on him, Galloway, Leal or the incoming freshmen to carry the load with Gunn.

really nice to keep getting Bates and Gunn both good experience before we start playing the big dawgs.  also have to think JHS and Reneau are only going to get better.  anxious to see what they do with our ranking.  i'm saying 10.  i'm already nervous about the UNC game.  it's tough living here and listening to how great they are and how great the ACC is.  UNC has not been looking impressive.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Disappointing attendance.  Only 8,700?  That's half full.  

Well... don't make tickets $55-60, especially on a day THE COLTS PLAY IN THE SAME CITY...  

Just stupid on their parts. 

Balcony level at Gainbridge Conseco Bankers Life Fieldhouse should never be over $10. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

Post game media from tonight:

Btw, Race challenged Miller to use the word “chicken” in the post game interview and Tamar was tasked with using “banana” 

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Marinating chicken and getting a banana in before the game 😋 

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I love that kind of humor among the team. It's creative and super funny! You can tell they really enjoy each other from the coaches and starters to the end of the bench. 

Yeah, when I saw Tamar bow his head and start laughing at the "marinated chicken" comment I knew there was something up.

Tamar was very skillful at working banana in... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

really nice to keep getting Bates and Gunn both good experience before we start playing the big dawgs.  also have to think JHS and Reneau are only going to get better.  anxious to see what they do with our ranking.  i'm saying 10.  i'm already nervous about the UNC game.  it's tough living here and listening to how great they are and how great the ACC is.  UNC has not been looking impressive.  

You know what happens to highly ranked teams when they come into Assembly Hall though. I’m not sweating UNC. I think Woody will have the guys ready and the crowd should be insane. 

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, cthomas said:

Oh, I know... Had that feeling 3 times myself 🙂 

I do hope he can keep improving... Against Xavier he was a non-factor.

And I agree with others about CJ. He's definitely not afraid, and his defense is getting better.

Which brings me to Banks... To me, he's a better offensive version but less effective defensive version of Geronimo. You see his confidence growing every time he steps out there, and the athleticism is readily apparent. Stay the course, kid... Your time is coming...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Agree on Bates and Gunn. You hope Galloway is healthy and never want anyone hurt, etc., but was also glad to see Bates especially get extended minutes where he didn't have the worry of getting yanked and could settle in. 

He still didn't shoot well, but I thought he played a solid floor game, his defense was solid, etc. If he can be solid and trustworthy in his minutes, then hopefully the offense will come. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree on Bates and Gunn. You hope Galloway is healthy and never want anyone hurt, etc., but was also glad to see Bates especially get extended minutes where he didn't have the worry of getting yanked and could settle in. 

He still didn't shoot well, but I thought he played a solid floor game, his defense was solid, etc. If he can be solid and trustworthy in his minutes, then hopefully the offense will come. 

I personally think the scoring for him is a confidence issue. He's gotta to be solid in every other area so he can be trusted to stay in when he isn't scoring, and then I think the scoring will follow. 

For all the people that harp on Kopp getting minutes even when he isn't shooting well, a large part of that is his experience and the fact that he consistently makes solid plays. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Most likely, as is often the case. 

I can’t resist. So we’re clear, are you saying that every single time there is a screen that happens on the floor, the defense of that screen is determined by the split second communication that happens between the hedger and the ball defender? 

I very well could be wrong, but I would be highly surprised if Woody doesn’t teach the ball defender to get over the screen on everything unless there are automatic switches going on.  Unless the ball handler is a big man that can’t shoot… can see the big going under the screen on that. But never with a shooter. I’ve never seen or read about a ball defender not being taught to go over the screen, unless we’re talking about the screen happening at mid court. The only other thing that makes sense is if they were supposed to switch on everything and both MK and TJD royally screwed it up. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

16 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I have been very pleasantly surprised with Gunn. Seeing him come in and get after it defensively in the first half was one of the highlights of the game for me. 

I'll keep saying the same thing since last year. Gunn is easily one of the least talked about home state recruits we've had...and the kid is just a natural scorer and it wasn't against weak competition either. Depending on who leaves or whatever I could see CJ challenging for either starter minutes next year or 20-22 per game off the bench. He's that talented of a scorer but he's 1-1 in the biggest category. Quickest way to the court for Coach Woodson is on defense.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

The thing with Bates is that he was so highly ranked and those guys are expected to have an immediate impact. I know it's tougher coming into a situation where no one on the team is familiar and comfortable in the offense since this is basically the first year for it and TJD is the focus. It's just aggravating when you look at guys that were ranked near him, like Branham (OH St), Tyrese Hunter (IA St, Tx), Bryce Hopkins (Ky, Providence) and Sallis (Gonzaga) to a lesser extent.  I hope he can put it together soon and become another legitimate scoring option.

I do take into consideration that year 2 for Bates he's probably up most nights with a baby, and I'm sure that doesn't help, I think Gunn has an intangible that Bates may not have. There's a nastiness to Gunns game that I didn't know he had and something that we need.