Jackson State Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, Lostin76 said:

I’m sure I’m jumping the gun, but I feel like our bench is better than anyone else’s in the NCAA if not better than 90% of the starters. 

Even what is perceived as the end of our bench (Gunn, Banks, Duncomb, Leal) are pretty good players that would have bigger roles on a less talented team...

I like how Coach Woodson got CJ (1st half) and Kaleb (2nd half) some good time with starters/early off the bench guys in there..."Show us what you got with some players, young fella."

The more I watch Coach Woodson, the more I'm convinced that he's a master at the psychology of a team sport...I also hope potential recruits are watching...There's no secret formula to getting to the league...It's hard work, playing winning basketball, and developing your game over time...And Coach Woodson knows better than most how to get you there...

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I’m sure I’m jumping the gun, but I feel like our bench is better than anyone else’s in the NCAA if not better than 90% of the starters. 

I haven't seen enough of the top teams to say one way or the other. But, I know our bench is really good and getting better. I feel like guys are starting to figure out their roles. That alone can separate great teams from good teams. One thing that CBK did really well was figure out pretty quickly who could do what and then make his players fill those roles. I think Coach Woodson is letting these guys figure that out on the court. Should be fun to watch.

• Like 1

I think the single thing we do better than any other team I've seen so far this season, is communicate and switch on defense...

One other thing I heard Coach Woodson say in the ALR postgame...Last yeear we were near the top in open looks from 3...we just didn't make the shots...That's the function of an offense game plan, right? Getting open shots? 

Well, now we're hopefully starting to hit them...I know the better the competition, the better the defenses, but if we can hang around 37-38% I think we'll be fine...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

The one drawback, rebounding. Granted TJD and Race did not play big minutes, but you can't let teams get on the offensive glass like today. Need to clean that up quick.

Speaking of that, three minutes into the game, Xavier has 4 ORs against the Dukies. Unfortunately they can't make shots

Edited by 13th&Jackson

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Visually, it's very evident that this year's team is significantly better than last year's.  Don't you agree?

i mean, i think so?  i'm just not 100% sold because we are looking good beating bad teams.  like i keep saying, i'm excited about the season for sure.  i am just reluctant to make a big deal of anything until we play a ranked team.  i always watch the entirety off all of the games, but i have been bored the last few.  all of the teams ahead of us have played one of the other top dawgs other than NC.   

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

eh.  they're okay.  not a top 25 team while everyone ahead of us have played other top 10 teams.  

I agree with the premise that I’d like to see us play some more good teams before making judgements…but an away win against Xavier is a really good win based on how they’ve looked this far. Kenpom has them ranked around 30th, which would be a Q1 win