Jackson State Post Game Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

All of those teams relied on 9-10 guys nightly. Negligence, I know, on Roys part, I'm sure. 

Pretty much 8 guys in 05 and 09, Because I wouldn't say a person playing 5-6mpg as a key part of the rotation. Like Durr last year he might play 3 minutes in the first half but didn't come in the game in the second half so I wouldn't say he was a rotational player. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

Did your wife have an opinion on TJD's back injury?  

If its back spasms 100% can play through it. Zero worry of anything long term. She said especially with an older athlete, who should know his body.. and Tim Garl. 

She mentioned, in her opinion, theres no way he was playing against Jax St if this was a true injury. 

We just don't know if its in fact spasms, obviously without being there its hard to say anything for certain. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty much 8 guys in 05 and 09, Because I wouldn't say a person playing 5-6mpg as a key part of the rotation. Like Durr last year he might play 3 minutes in the first half but didn't come in the game in the second half so I wouldn't say he was a rotational player. 

That sounds.... just like us. 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You do realize that UNC has won 6 championships. Also don't just look at MPG but how many games players played in. I never understood only using the games played for your mpg played.  Guys play in only blowouts or in mop time but don't play in all the games you should use every game the team played to determine mpg.

2005 6 played 21+ minutes and had 1 over 30 minutes. 2 played 16 minutes. 9th player played 6 mpg. So they pretty much played 8 guys the majority of the minutes.

2009 6 played 18+ minutes with two playing 30+ mpg. 7th played 17.4, 8th 9.6mpg. they had two who averaged over 9mpg but 1 played 15 games and the other played in 3 games. 

2017 did play 9 players 14+ minutes but did have two over 30+ mpg.

Scott. You're cherry picking.  I think everyone else's opinion is that if you have 9 solid rotation pieces, use them,  If you only have 8, then only use 8.  If you only have 7, in November, then you better hope someone else emerges, because it is damn tough to go through the Big ten gauntlet with only 7.

You're only picking teams that support your argument.  You totally ignored my post showing that Cheaney didn't play 35+ minutes a game while always bringing up that Alford did. Same coach.  He adapted and used his most important piece differently based on the options he had.  Woodson has 9 solid options at his disposal this season when everyone is healthy.  It would be silly not to use them all. Have all 9 ready for March.  Tha way, when 1 is hurt and another is in foul trouble, you still have someone that's played important minutes during the season at your disposal.  

If I wanted to take the time (I don't), I could find champions that consistently played 9 and even 10-man rotations.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That sounds.... just like us. 

If you just look at the stats it can be misleading to where those minutes were played. You look at our tournament run in 87 it looks like we played 9 players but we really only played 7. Todd Meier and Kreigh Smith played minutes but we're usually late in the first half due to foul trouble.  I remember watching those UNC teams and they played 8 men regularly.

Edited by IU Scott

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Scott. You're cherry picking.  I think everyone else's opinion is that if you have 9 solid rotation pieces, use them,  If you only have 8, then only use 8.  If you only have 7, in November, then you better hope someone else emerges, because it is damn tough to go through the Big ten gauntlet with only 7.

You're only picking teams that support your argument.  You totally ignored my post showing that Cheaney didn't play 35+ minutes a game while always bringing up that Alford did. Same coach.  He adapted and used his most important piece differently based on the options he had.  Woodson has 9 solid options at his disposal this season when everyone is healthy.  It would be silly not to use them all. Have all 9 ready for March.  Tha way, when 1 is hurt and another is in foul trouble, you still have someone that's played important minutes during the season at your disposal.  

If I wanted to take the time (I don't), I could find champions that consistently played 9 and even 10-man rotations.  

Cheaney played like 33 minutes a game which is pretty significant amount of time. To me your best players in a close game should see about 17 minutes a half. Unless of foul trouble you should want your two best players playing 32-35mpg and never have both out at the same time. I am not saying play them all 40 minutes but with 5 TV timeouts a half getting rest shouldn't be a problem. If you sub about a minute before a TV timeout and then the TV timeout is usually 2.5 minutes that is plenty of rest.

I think in close games you will want TJD and XJ to play most of the game and then maybe sub out the other 3 more often.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Why would we play TJD 35+ minutes when we don't have to?  Yes, there will be games this season where he needs to play that much.  But, there will be more games than not where it isn't necessary.  Going back to the '92-'93 team.  If the depth on that team was good enough that Cheaney didn't need to play 35 minutes a game, why would we force it on TJD when the depth on this team affords us the luxury of giving him extra rest that could be critical come tournament time.  

I’m genuinely confused by your post. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

I literally said more games than not Geronimo will get 15-20 in my post. That said, he’s still the first in line to get his minutes cut in games that call for it. We’ve already seen that happen this year. 

• Like 1

I am watching Iowa and TCU and TCU started the game 9-0 and Iowa called a timeout after 3 minutes. What does TCU do they subbed 3 out and Iowa went on a 11-2 run to tie it. This is the kind of rotations I don't understand. Its like we sub like this every game so it doesn't matter what the score is.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I guess where I disagree is that I don't see a problem playing guys 32-35 mpg.  I just don't get why today's great athletes have to be babied and say they shouldn't play huge minutes. I have seen it my whole life in college basketball where players played well despite playing 32+ mpg.  I wod think most people want their best players on the court for most of the game.

What you're missing here is that many of the best players change from game to game.  That's not the norm for IU.