IU football program going forward.

IU Scott

I saw that our first game next season is Ohio St. again. The last five years our opening games have been really tough. Ohio st, Penn St, Iowa, Illinois an now Ohio st again. 
Does a Athletic Director have any say in the scheduling? You got to play them sometime, but Damn right out the gate! 

4 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I saw that our first game next season is Ohio St. again. The last five years our opening games have been really tough. Ohio st, Penn St, Iowa, Illinois an now Ohio st again. 
Does an Athletic Director have any say in the scheduling? You got to play them sometime, but Damn right out the gate! 

I’m sure athletic directors have a say in scheduling, but only if they are the athletic directors at Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State.

5 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Does a Athletic Director have any say in the scheduling? You got to play them sometime, but Damn right out the gate! 

They probably want us as a safe warmup game.

On the flip side, getting them first game may also be the best shot at getting an upset.

• Like 2

I have to admit, I am excited to see if we’ve improved from last year! I’m expecting much better offensive line play with the addition of the new coach! Which will help the run game and hopefully give our QB more time to make plays! I’m 
concerned about lack of experience at QB, but there have been other Freshman that have step in and done big things so I can hope! 
Defensively, I think from what I’ve read will be fine! It will be a wait and see ,but I do trust Coach Allen in this end of the ball. 

Edited by OLDIUFAN
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:30 AM, OLDIUFAN said:

I have to admit, I am excited to see if we’ve improved from last year! I’m expecting much better offensive line play with the addition of the new coach! Which will help the run game and hopefully give our QB more time to make plays! I’m 
concerned about lack of experience at QB, but there have been other Freshman that have step in and done big things so I can hope! 
Defensively, I think from what I’ve read will be fine! It will be a wait and see ,but I do trust Coach Allen in this end of the ball. 

Color me a skeptical but hopeful the DLs brought in help. As we've seen, if we continue to have issues getting to the QB, we'll continue to have issues with the defense overall. The CBs and LBs can only do so much. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Color me a skeptical but hopeful the DLs brought in help. As we've seen, if we continue to have issues getting to the QB, we'll continue to have issues with the overall defense. The CBs and LBs can only do so much. 

Great response. Hope it improves as well, but a lot of negative momentum to turn around on pass rush.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 10:20 AM, Seeking6 said:

IU added former Broyles Award finalist Matt Guerrerri to the staff as safeties coach. He was at Ohio St with Wilson and was set to be Tulsa's DC. By all accounts seems like a really good addition.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-football-hires-matt-guerrieri-as-co-defensive-coordinator-and-safeties-coach

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Obviously, I'm not in the business and not in these guys' shoes, but I just don't understand why these coaches want to constantly be on the move.  I certainly get why you'd leave Indiana for the Buffalo Bills, but what doesn't make sense is why he (and he's not the only coach to do this) would leave the NFL for Indiana just to be here a year and leave again.  I can't imagine the stress these job hoppers put on their families, especially knowing that it's inevitable they'll be part of a few staff firings in their careers and HAVE to move.  If it was me, I think I'd want some stability for myself when I could get it, and certainly for my family.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:03 PM, IUJoe said:

Obviously, I'm not in the business and not in these guys' shoes, but I just don't understand why these coaches want to constantly be on the move.  I certainly get why you'd leave Indiana for the Buffalo Bills, but what doesn't make sense is why he (and he's not the only coach to do this) would leave the NFL for Indiana just to be here a year and leave again.  I can't imagine the stress these job hoppers put on their families, especially knowing that it's inevitable they'll be part of a few staff firings in their careers and HAVE to move.  If it was me, I think I'd want some stability for myself when I could get it, and certainly for my family.

It's certainly worth questioning. Being on the move is part of the job/career and some people are willing to make the sacrifice of geographic stability in hopes of a better situation later.

It can also be about fit. What someone thinks a situation is going to be doesn't always pan out like they hope.

59 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That was fast!   Knowing Bell helps as he will be able to implement what Bells wants.  Prior coordinator experience is a plus.  

I actually think this happened on Saturday. He knows Bell and the offenses he's helped lead have been successful. And yes, OC experience can't be a bad thing. Seems like a very solid hire. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 6:38 AM, OLDIUFAN said:

Best time to play them. Ohio st has always been a slow starter at the beginning of year. Plus you get to play an inexperienced qb. Finally we should be as healthy as we are going to be at the beginning of the year.