IU football program going forward.

IU Scott

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iirc it was more about him not being physically ready after injury.  Among other factors in play.  

And they were wrong about that. He was the best QB on the roster by a million. He was rusty, sure, but he was the best player at that position, on our roster. It's irrelevant now, but god it was annoying to read at the time. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've honestly not watched him much, can he run, at all? 

That would be a no...

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Wisconsin         125 -21 -0.2 8 0 0   0 125 -21 -0.2 8
*2019 Wisconsin Big Ten FR QB 2 2 6 3.0 0 0 0   0 2 6 3.0 0
*2020 Wisconsin Big Ten FR QB 7 36 38 1.1 2 0 0   0 36 38 1.1 2
*2021 Wisconsin Big Ten SO QB 13 37 -25 -0.7 4 0 0   0 37 -25 -0.7 4
2022 Wisconsin Big Ten JR QB 12 50 -40 -0.8 2 0 0   0 50 -40 -0.8 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That would be a no...

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Wisconsin         125 -21 -0.2 8 0 0   0 125 -21 -0.2 8
*2019 Wisconsin Big Ten FR QB 2 2 6 3.0 0 0 0   0 2 6 3.0 0
*2020 Wisconsin Big Ten FR QB 7 36 38 1.1 2 0 0   0 36 38 1.1 2
*2021 Wisconsin Big Ten SO QB 13 37 -25 -0.7 4 0 0   0 37 -25 -0.7 4
2022 Wisconsin Big Ten JR QB 12 50 -40 -0.8 2 0 0   0 50 -40 -0.8 2

meh.. that doesn't tell me everything. I had already seen those stats when I asked the question. 

Wisconsin runs zero with their QB. He probably isn't a runner, just mentioning those stats don't tell me if he has feet to defend himself from a pass rush. 

College stats still include sacks in a QBs rushing yards, which is stupid. It's a pass play, not a run play. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

meh.. that doesn't tell me everything. I had already seen those stats when I asked the question. 

Wisconsin runs zero with their QB. He probably isn't a runner, just mentioning those stats don't tell me if he has feet to defend himself from a pass rush. 

College stats still include sacks in a QBs rushing yards, which is stupid. It's a pass play, not a run play. 

OK then...

Graham Mertz 2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Pros: Graham Mertz has an NFL build and measurements to fit the pocket-passer prototype. He can operate an offense with a solid level of effectiveness. He presents as a game manager that finds success in the short, quick passing game. Mertz throws with solid zip/velocity along with good touch when needed. He is a smart and anticipatory deep ball passer. There are some flashes high-end accuracy and big throws on tape but only flashes. 

Cons: Graham Mertz has not displayed the ability to put the passing game for the Badgers on his shoulders. From a physical traits and tools standpoint, he is limited. As I alluded to earlier, Mertz is a pocket passer that lacks above-average mobility as a rushing threat. The inability to create or extend plays with his legs limits his overall effectiveness as an NFL prospect. His game fits a run-first/heavy offense that incorporates quick passes and downfield shots off play-action. At this moment, his trajectory is pointed toward an NFL backup rather than a starter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

OK then...

Pros: Graham Mertz has an NFL build and measurements to fit the pocket-passer prototype. He can operate an offense with a solid level of effectiveness. He presents as a game manager that finds success in the short, quick passing game. Mertz throws with solid zip/velocity along with good touch when needed. He is a smart and anticipatory deep ball passer. There are some flashes high-end accuracy and big throws on tape but only flashes. 

Cons: Graham Mertz has not displayed the ability to put the passing game for the Badgers on his shoulders. From a physical traits and tools standpoint, he is limited. As I alluded to earlier, Mertz is a pocket passer that lacks above-average mobility as a rushing threat. The inability to create or extend plays with his legs limits his overall effectiveness as an NFL prospect. His game fits a run-first/heavy offense that incorporates quick passes and downfield shots off play-action. At this moment, his trajectory is pointed toward an NFL backup rather than a starter.

probably not our guy then

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

probably not our guy then

Not to mention he's regressed as a passer. Below 60% the past two years and is prone to INTs

From CBS Sports:

Mertz's market is hard to gauge after such a high-profile regression. Minnesota recruited Mertz hard out of high school, and the Gophers could use a replacement for Tanner Morgan. Aidan O'Connell is moving on after six years at Purdue, and Mertz could benefit from a major system change. He should have countless opportunities at the Group of Five level as a high-upside reclamation project. 

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Not to mention he's regressed as a passer. Below 60% the past two years and is prone to INTs

From CBS Sports:

Mertz's market is hard to gauge after such a high-profile regression. Minnesota recruited Mertz hard out of high school, and the Gophers could use a replacement for Tanner Morgan. Aidan O'Connell is moving on after six years at Purdue, and Mertz could benefit from a major system change. He should have countless opportunities at the Group of Five level as a high-upside reclamation project. 

I think that can be fixed. UWs offense is horrible for QBs. 

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

OK then...

I need something more specific.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He shouldn't have been let out of Indiana. 

You can’t keep someone at IU if they don’t want to be here.  He could have played more in 2021 but “injury” kept him off the field.  I don’t blame him in the sense that the Oline over the last few years wasn’t gonna help keep him injury free.  I would say he made the right choice for himself based on the results.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

You can’t keep someone at IU if they don’t want to be here.  He could have played more in 2021 but “injury” kept him off the field.  I don’t blame him in the sense that the Oline over the last few years wasn’t gonna help keep him injury free.  I would say he made the right choice for himself based on the results.

But I do question his decision making. Why is he coming back for another year at UW? That makes no sense to me, at all. 

18 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

But I do question his decision making. Why is he coming back for another year at UW? That makes no sense to me, at all. 

I can’t argue with that.  What was his draft stock looking like?  Maybe he is being told a second year of putting up the same stats shows more consistency and increases his draft stock to a level that’s worth coming back?  Also maybe with NIL it makes sense for him.

12 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I can’t argue with that.  What was his draft stock looking like?  Maybe he is being told a second year of putting up the same stats shows more consistency and increases his draft stock to a level that’s worth coming back?  Also maybe with NIL it makes sense for him.

He's trending up and I would bet he'd go higher than you'd think. I just think with his injury history, this is a pretty big gamble. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1