IU football program going forward.

IU Scott

Honest question here, and one I think is worthy of some respectful debate:

Are Coach Allen's (or any coach's) strong and demonstrated religious beliefs compatible with major college football? Or perhaps worded better, is his overt conviction (and by default an expected conviction from his players) accordant with a sport that is generally secular?

I ask, not as a slight or attack on his or anyone's religious beliefs, but rather in earnest to see if the adherence to religion works in concert with running a Power 5 program.  

**While I know that God/Religion is important to many people, it is a very private and personal thing. A great deal of players and coaches are God-fearing, and this post isn't questioning that.**

I'm more curious how people feel about the fit between God and Football on a program level, and if they are better partnered together or kept separate. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Are Coach Allen's (or any coach's) strong and demonstrated religious beliefs compatible with major college football? Or perhaps worded better, is his overt conviction (and by default an expected conviction from his players) accordant with a sport that is generally secular?

I ask, not as a slight or attack on his or anyone's religious beliefs, but rather in earnest to see if the adherence to religion works in concert with running a Power 5 program.  

**While I know that God/Religion is important to many people, it is a very private and personal thing. A great deal of players and coaches are God-fearing, and this post isn't questioning that.**

I'm more curious how people feel about the fit between God and Football on a program level, and if they are better partnered together or kept separate. 

Dabo Sweeney is probably the most outspoken Christian in college football, as a coach,  that I can think of.  He's got a ring and quite a bit of success.  I would imagine there are plenty of players looking for an environment of personal/spiritual growth and accountability.   Now does it turn off certain recruits,  I'm sure it does.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dabo Sweeney is probably the most outspoken Christian in college football, as a coach,  that I can think of.  He's got a ring and quite a bit of success.  I would imagine there are plenty of players looking for an environment of personal/spiritual growth and accountability.   Now does it turn off certain recruits,  I'm sure it does.  

Good example.

I ask the following as I genuinely don't know: how much of Sweeney's personal beliefs are engrained/woven into the Clemson program? I'm sure he would prefer to have players that are like minded, but does he have a tolerance for those that aren't? Does it even matter?

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Good example.

I ask the following as I genuinely don't know: how much of Sweeney's personal beliefs are engrained/woven into the Clemson program? I'm sure he would prefer to have players that are like minded, but does he have a tolerance for those that aren't? Does it even matter?

I've always wondered this myself. I think more about this in regards to biases/favorites as much as anything else. CTA seems loyal to a fault when it comes to some coaches (we know who) as well as players. Does he favor those who's ideologies/beliefs match his own? It's kinda lame to ask that, everyone has their own, but his values seem to be a very important aspect of who he is as a person and how he lives and speaks etc. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

26 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Partnered together, unquestionably, imo. 

There are a lot of southern mommas/mommas that we recruit their sons, that still want God and scripture a part of their son's life. 

It's pretty evident on Twitter. 

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Partnered together, unquestionably, imo. 

There are a lot of southern mommas/mommas that we recruit their sons, that still want God and scripture a part of their son's life. 

It's pretty evident on Twitter. 

I don't disagree that there are many families that are attracted to CTA specifically because of his beliefs. He's even on record saying that if he weren't coaching, he would probably be a youth minister/pastor of some kind. It's noble and commendable.

The question is the balance between what CTA believes as an individual, and what he imparts as the head of a secular, athletic organization. Can he satisfy the goals of each simultaneously at the level he was hired to do so?

While I don't expect (or want) him to change on my (or the fans') behalf, I do think that he's restricting this program's growth/potential by sticking so steadfast to his beliefs. There might be more synergy at a place like Liberty; the Big Ten West is an unforgiving place and the only metric worth recording is wins. Fair or not, that needs to be the priority.

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't disagree that there are many families that are attracted to CTA specifically because of his beliefs. He's even on record saying that if he weren't coaching, he would probably be a youth minister/pastor of some kind. It's noble and commendable.

The question is the balance between what CTA believes as an individual, and what he imparts as the head of a secular, athletic organization. Can he satisfy the goals of each simultaneously at the level he was hired to do so?

While I don't expect (or want) him to change on my (or the fans') behalf, I do think that he's restricting this program's growth/potential by sticking so steadfast to his beliefs. There might be more synergy at a place like Liberty; the Big Ten West is an unforgiving place and the only metric worth recording is wins. Fair or not, that needs to be the priority.

Hold on. I think we are really looking way too much into this here. 

Sorry I am not following what you're saying at all. 

Indiana shitty at football for 60 years before CTA got here--- had two average season, two really good seasons, and one horrendous season, and one bad season.... all of that coupled with little to zero momentum in the overall program and basically ZERO NIL help.... all of that has us in the predicament we are in. 

Zero of this situation is attributed to his faith. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hold on. I think we are really looking way too much into this here. 

Sorry I am not following what you're saying at all. 

Indiana shitty at football for 60 years before CTA got here--- had two average season, two really good seasons, and one horrendous season, and one bad season.... all of that coupled with little to zero momentum in the overall program and basically ZERO NIL help.... all of that has us in the predicament we are in. 

Zero of this situation is attributed to his faith. 

Totally fair. And why I was asking the question rather than making a declaration.

To be clear, I am not bashing him for his faith, merely wondering if his desires to live up to a standard had any affect on his ability to coach at the level he's expected to compete at. High level college football is cutthroat and ruthless; winning is the only metric that matters, not exhibiting high character (which he has in spades).

Moving on from that, why hasn't there been any momentum? It's a bit reductive to say it's because of a lack of NIL resources. Has CTA shown too much allegiance to coaches and players that were undeserving based on performance? Is it something else entirely?

10 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Totally fair. And why I was asking the question rather than making a declaration.

To be clear, I am not bashing him for his faith, merely wondering if his desires to live up to a standard had any affect on his ability to coach at the level he's expected to compete at. High level college football is cutthroat and ruthless; winning is the only metric that matters, not exhibiting high character (which he has in spades).

Moving on from that, why hasn't there been any momentum? It's a bit reductive to say it's because of a lack of NIL resources. Has CTA shown too much allegiance to coaches and players that were undeserving based on performance? Is it something else entirely?

I only bring up NIL.. because ALLEGEDLY... Dasan wanted 350K.... and if we don't even have that money for our best player.... 

That's an uphill swing for any coach. 

Again.. ALLEGEDLY. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Good example.

Didn't Deshaun Watson play at Clemson?  :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

It's a lot of money. I admittedly am not in the know of going NIL rates for top players. But if it's what is required, so be it.... gotta spend money to make money.

I am not either. I have zero clue, I was sort of hesitant to repeat that number because again, simply don't know.