Transfer Portal

DC2345

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Per 24/7 we have the 8th rated group of portal transfers.

I think we are smart to dump the idea of bringing in 20-25 FR.... condense that to 10-15 a year, and then go hard after the transfers every year. We picked up a lot of transfers with 2-3 years worth of eligibility, as well. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Where some of the departing Hoosiers landed...sorry if some of this has already been posted

Javon Swinton--Eastern Michigan

Emory Simmons--Utah

Luke Wigington--Ball State

Richard Thomas--FAU

Lem Watley-Neely--Kent State

Christopher Keys--Mississippi State

https://www.on3.com/college/indiana-hoosiers/transfer-portal/wire/football/2023/
https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24040

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It is just another in a  line of highly ranked kids that didn't work out at IU. 

Ehh.. the reality of it is we upgraded at corner with Jamier Johnson. Plus.. Mullen had two corners, in his own classification that were better than him. Monds and Sharpe. 

Trevell wasn't in the two deep this year and it seems he wanted to play and or be closer to home. 

By far.. the transfer portal has been a net gain for us. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

Kind of sad to look at some of the top recruits in IU football history and see how many didn't live up to their rankings

I was literally looking at the same thing earlier in the day and now I believe, if I’m correct, 4/10 of our highest ranked players were on the team and transferred away within the last 2 years. That’s not a great trend. I value Tom Allen’s recruiting ability since he arrived here, given our previous classes, but we just get so few it’s a hard pill to swallow. 

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ehh.. the reality of it is we upgraded at corner with Jamier Johnson. Plus.. Mullen had two corners, in his own classification that were better than him. Monds and Sharpe. 

Trevell wasn't in the two deep this year and it seems he wanted to play and or be closer to home. 

So you are saying the kid was overrated?

19 hours ago, rico said:

So you are saying the kid was overrated?

Yes, and I thought that the whole time... but I'm not going to ridicule the kid on a public forum. 

One, who's mom I've spoken to multiple times, and one who's brother is one of the best Hoosiers in recent memory. I never understood Trevell's ranking. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

I was literally looking at the same thing earlier in the day and now I believe, if I’m correct, 4/10 of our highest ranked players were on the team and transferred away within the last 2 years. That’s not a great trend. I value Tom Allen’s recruiting ability since he arrived here, given our previous classes, but we just get so few it’s a hard pill to swallow. 

I think this shows how poorly some of these recruiting services rank guys. Jamar Johnson, Micah McFadden.. go check their HS rankings. Day 1 studs at Indiana. Feeney, Spriggs.. same thing. Tevin Coleman. Kofi Hughes. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think this shows how poorly some of these recruiting services rank guys. Jamar Johnson, Micah McFadden.. go check their HS rankings. Day 1 studs at Indiana. Feeney, Spriggs.. same thing. Tevin Coleman. Kofi Hughes. 

i'd completely agree with that.  he does find some of guys that fly under the radar.  But, in general, consistently highly ranked recruits are the ones who develop into the playmakers in college.  transfer portal has to be IU's best friend moving forward. 

Just now, kycarter88 said:

i'd completely agree with that.  he does find some of guys that fly under the radar.  But, in general, consistently highly ranked recruits are the ones who develop into the playmakers in college.  transfer portal has to be IU's best friend moving forward. 

It's been pretty good for us for 4-5 years, absolutely hope it continues.