Rutgers Post Game

Inequality

The film won’t lie on this one.  There is a lot of teaching the staff can do off this.  

I may be totally mis-reading it but I think guys like Cupps and Newton will be really tough for us in this kind of environment.  

No excuses but not having JHS was huge.  He’s a big, athletic kid who is really tough.  X had some trouble with the physicality and JHS could have picked up some slack in theory.  That 15-0 run or whatever was devastating.  They went after Bates and we missed some open shots. JHS might have been a factor there.   Rutgers isn’t a dynamic team and if we had some more juice there, we could have been in a tight game.  But that’s not really the takeaway.  We can’t pretend it was good enough, with or without JHS.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Same problems we've had for years now no shooting.  Just pack it in and force our guards to chuck from deep which they can't.  Easy peesy.  We're a middle of the pack B1G team.  Then we lose our entire starting 5.  

Indeed we still don’t have enough shooting but Woody is recruiting shooters. Gunn, Reneau, and next year Cupps all shoot better than what we’ve recruited…and the guys we are on this year are much better shooters…he’s working on it.

• Like 1

Only 2 things to check on schedule 

2 games with IU

Do we play at RAC 🤢

the Big Ten is IZZO ball for better or worse….super physical 

JHS would have made a huge difference when XJ was missing 

you got good looks and just missed them 

maybe one team wins at Rutgers all year ?

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The film won’t lie on this one.  There is a lot of teaching the staff can do off this.  

I may be totally mis-reading it but I think guys like Cupps and Newton will be really tough for us in this kind of environment.  

No excuses but not having JHS was huge.  He’s a big, athletic kid who is really tough.  X had some trouble with the physicality and JHS could have picked up some slack in theory.  That 15-0 run or whatever was devastating.  They went after Bates and we missed some open shots. JHS might have been a factor there.   Rutgers isn’t a dynamic team and if we had some more juice there, we could have been in a tight game.  But that’s not really the takeaway.  We can’t pretend it was good enough, with or without JHS.  

Good point on JHS.

He does a lot for us in terms of having a second ball handler, but he also enables everyone else to play a role they’re probably better suited for. Galloway would’ve been better off as a sixth man, Bates as the fifth perimeter guy, etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Disappointing continuing losing to that team, like really sick of it.  Also, the end of that game would have been a good time for Woodson to go nuclear about the officiating.  Take the T in a loss to make a point for games down the road.

If I was him I would take the fine and ripped them in the press conference and send the tape to the big ten.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DWB said:

SIAP but 4th in the Big seems like a pipe dream right now.

Illinois & Maryland both looked far better than we do.

We got outplayed and hustled by a bunch of guys (save 2) who would be walk ons on some power 5 teams.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think that's an overreaction.  

Does the UNC game no longer matter?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did we lose more than one game today? 

I know, right? Some of these posters are absolutely brutal over this loss. Good grief, if I could choose to lose a BIGTEN road game I’m gonna choose this one and learn a ton from it! They needed see and feel everything that was given to them because the BIGTEN on the road is BRUTAL!!! Any BIGTEN team that’s playing at home, against a ranked opponent will get their absolute very best. That’s what IU did to UNC!

• Like 3

Also today playing against a team like Rutgers is why I prefer a motion based offense rather than a lot of kick and drive. To me it is easier to defend this style of offense with a physical ste of defense because they can knock you off the dribble.  If you have all your players moving and coming off screens and back cutting you will get better looks.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think that's an overreaction.  

Does the UNC game no longer matter?

I guess not and I knew the first sign of trou le they would come out of the woodwork. The thing is it is better on this site than some others.

I saw one post who said that is what you get when you hire a 63 year old who never coached in college. Another said we will be lucky to  finish  in the top half of the conference 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess not and I knew the first sign of trou le they would come out of the woodwork. The thing is it is better on this site than some others.

I saw one post who said that is what you get when you hire a 63 year old who never coached in college. Another said we will be lucky to  finish  in the top half of the conference 

"This too shall pass"

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I saw that over there too…. Unbelievable. If we won this game those same posters would be singing praises about Woodson…. Count on it!

Our guys didnt have it today and got run out of the gym by Rutgers - yet again.  Everyone looked like they would rather be anywhere else.  We got outcoached in-game too. From what I have seen, Rutgers truly despises IU and has made our MBB program their patsy.  (There is another word for it but lets keep it light)  We get another crack at them later and I hope our guys show inspiration to get even.  Lots of mistakes to work on, too.  Otherwise it is just one game.  If we can somehow win 2 of the next 3 we are in great shape. 

• Like 1

I just got finished watching the game... Just a couple of thoughts...

The first 10 minutes of the game, it's like we had 5 guys with Justin Smith's hands... Rutgers didn't get those offensive rebounds cleanly... we had our hands on damn near every one of them...

If you would have told me Mawat Mag would outplay Race Thompson so thoroughly, I'd have had you checked in to the Rubber Ramada... Race should be embarrassed by the way he played...Hummel said it best... Race didn't look at all prepared to play today... 

When 2 of your starters don't score a point and you only get 6 points from your bench, you're not winning in any Big 10 arena... 

If JHS (who we missed more than I thought we would... A LOT more) has to sit out again, I think Bates would be a better choice to start over Galloway. 

Our guards never took the ball to the hole... Omouryi was saddled with foul trouble... Take it at him...

And I didn't think the officiating lost us the game, but there were some terrible no calls in a crucial stretch around the 6 minute mark... Mulcahy's mugging of Trayce was the worst no call I've seen in some time...Add Kelly Pfeiffer to the list of terrible Big 10 referees... 

I can't wait til this bunch comes to Assembly Hall... If we don't get motivated for that one, there's something wrong... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

Let me put it this way….UNC is a good team. We most likely got them at a good time of the year too. Granted, we are a good team too but I also wonder if the boys sort of took their ranking and Rutgers for granted… We are definitely better than a 15 point loss to Rutgers.  

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2