Rutgers Post Game

Inequality

On 12/3/2022 at 6:22 PM, Parakeet Jones said:

I never expected us to win every game this year. I knew losing at Rutgers was a possibility. However, to constantly let them bully us the way they do when we play them really hacks me off. I’m tired of rolling over like a dog and showing them our belly. The lack of toughness was more disappointing to me today than the loss. 

And our lack of shooting bit us hard in the butt today. 

Well said.  I didn't watch and I won't, but it's obvious that once again, this team is talented but soft as Charmin.  Look great at home in their safe space but tend to fold at the first sign of adversity.

Can't say I blame Ron & Geo saying no one is afraid of IU.  They've backed it up for years.  Hopefully, Woody can eventually pass on the tough mental edge old school IU teams used to have before the university infected students (and now athletes) by coddling them and nurturing their sense of entitlement without corresponding effort.

That's all I'll say on the subject.  If these guys expect to have any success at the next level, they're going to have to grow a pair.  On to the next game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 7:41 AM, IUProfessor said:

The problem is that Reneau hasn't been nearly as good once the competition stepped up (he's become a foul machine), and Geronimo has been worse. So as poorly as Race has played, I still think he's our best option at the 4 at present.

I rewatched the game. At least 3 of the fouls called on Malik were pretty crappy calls...And they were all called by the same ref...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Well said.  I didn't watch and I won't, but it's obvious that once again, this team is talented but soft as Charmin.  Look great at home in their safe space but tend to fold at the first sign of adversity.

Can't say I blame Ron & Geo saying no one is afraid of IU.  They've backed it up for years.  Hopefully, Woody can eventually pass on the tough mental edge old school IU teams used to have before the university infected students (and now athletes) by coddling them and nurturing their sense of entitlement without corresponding effort.

That's all I'll say on the subject.  If these guys expect to have any success at the next level, they're going to have to grow a pair.  On to the next game.

Man, some of you really overreact to one bad game. As someone who actually watched the game, I disagree that we lost because we were soft. We played good enough to win on defense, we just couldn't hit an outside shot, which let Rutgers pack the pain. Defensive rebounding was an issue early, but it seemed like it was more because we were trying to get out in transition while Rutgers was sending everyone to attack the glass. We adjusted after the first 10 minutes, but it came at the cost of getting out in transition - which took away one of the areas that has been most effective on offense early in the year.

We certainly looked bad and need to play better - especially on offense. But several other good teams have had some bad games. Tennessee lost by 12 vs Colorado, Arizona lost by 15 at Utah, Baylor lost by 26 at Marquette, etc.

Good teams respond after a bad game, which is what IU needs to do in the next stretch of games.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This is where a lot of time I think as fans we confuse effort with execution. 

Saw a lot of comments on various message boards and social media about IU's effort on Saturday or that the team looked asleep. 

I get it on the number of offensive rebounds we gave up, but the reality is we gave up 63 points. That is a heck of a defensive effort and enough to win. That game is completely different if we just make open shots. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is where a lot of time I think as fans we confuse effort with execution. 

Saw a lot of comments on various message boards and social media about IU's effort on Saturday or that the team looked asleep. 

I get it on the number of offensive rebounds we gave up, but the reality is we gave up 63 points. That is a heck of a defensive effort and enough to win. That game is completely different if we just make open shots. 

I feel like I’ve heard this a time or two before….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kdug said:

Man, some of you really overreact to one bad game. As someone who actually watched the game, I disagree that we lost because we were soft. We played good enough to win on defense, we just couldn't hit an outside shot, which let Rutgers pack the paint. Defensive rebounding was an issue early, but it seemed like it was more because we were trying to get out in transition while Rutgers was sending everyone to attack the glass. We adjusted after the first 10 minutes, but it came at the cost of getting out in transition - which took away one of the areas that has been most effective on offense early in the year.

We certainly looked bad and need to play better - especially on offense. But several other good teams have had some bad games. Tennessee lost by 12 vs Colorado, Arizona lost by 15 at Utah, Baylor lost by 26 at Marquette, etc.

Good teams respond after a bad game, which is what IU needs to do in the next stretch of games.

You can be mentally soft as well.  Shots not falling are certainly a symptom of that.

You're right that they have an opportunity to respond and prove their mental toughness...or they can continue to be soft and afraid to play away from Assembly Hall.  I guarantee Mike Woodson was not afraid he would miss just because he wasn't playing at home.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You can be mentally soft as well.  Shots not falling are certainly a symptom of that.

You're right that they have an opportunity to respond and prove their mental toughness...or they can continue to be soft and afraid to play away from Assembly Hall.  I guarantee Mike Woodson was not afraid he would miss just because he wasn't playing at home.

Again, let’s not overreact to one game. We’re 1-1 on the road, with probably the best road win of any big ten team. So yes, we still need to prove we can win away from home on a consistent basis. But let’s not act like the Xavier game didn’t happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In this game 3point shooting wasn’t the difference. Both teams had 6 made threes. The difference was Rutgers made 5 more twos and 5 more FTs, which made up the 15 point difference. It was interesting that TOs were basically even and both teams had the same shot attempts, yet they dominated the boards

I disagree man. Can’t just look at the line by line stats compared to the other team. We had a lot of open threes that were missed that could have made a difference. Coach Woody said it after the game too, we have to make perimeter shots. Teams are going to continue to clog the middle, double down and make everybody but Kopp shoot until we prove we can make them. So I’d argue it absolutely cost us that game (not solely, but a big factor) and will prevent us from making a run in March if we don’t get better at it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I disagree man. Can’t just look at the line by line stats compared to the other team. We had a lot of open threes that were missed that could have made a difference. Coach Woody said it after the game too, we have to make perimeter shots. Teams are going to continue to clog the middle, double down and make everybody but Kopp shoot until we prove we can make them. So I’d argue it absolutely cost us that game (not solely, but a big factor) and will prevent us from making a run in March if we don’t get better at it.

Oh, I agree this team’s weakness is perimeter shooting. Just saying in this game, the Hoosiers were outplayed in other areas. They would have needed better than average three point shooting to  offset that. 

14 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Oh, I agree this team’s weakness is perimeter shooting. Just saying in this game, the Hoosiers were outplayed in other areas. They would have needed better than average three point shooting to  offset that. 

I think not making perimeter shots was a big reason we lost, but yes, we got outplayed in every area.