DD Show

Question: (Purely hypothetically..really)

If Leal or Logan were to leave the team, do they retain their scholarship? (I think the answer is yes, but not sure)

Now before you go batsh!t on my question, it's not a proposal, it's just a question. I want Leal here. I'd like for him to play more, but not my call. But if we need to get a sharp shooter added, it seems to me this is the obvious way to get it.

Personally I think Gunn & Leal both should share some minutes to get a heat check if nothing else. Both play OK defense, and would improve even more with a little experience. But again, not my call.

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

If Leal or Logan were to leave the team, do they retain their scholarship? (I think the answer is yes, but not sure)

If they are cut from the team and remain students at IU, they keep their scholarship. With the transfer portal, this is hard to imagine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DWB said:

Now before you go batsh!t on my question, it's not a proposal, it's just a question. I want Leal here. I'd like for him to play more, but not my call. But if we need to get a sharp shooter added, it seems to me this is the obvious way to get it.

Personally I think Gunn & Leal both should share some minutes to get a heat check if nothing else. Both play OK defense, and would improve even more with a little experience. But again, not my call.

How did Leal get the reputation of being a pure shooter because his stats in high school doesn't show that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll repeat something I've said before.  You cant play 13.  If roster decisions are required to help land an important transfer or recruit, they should be based on multiple factors, not just 'who is the 13th man'.

Totally agree because if you have 13 4 and 5 star players you will have 4 or 5 very unhappy players.  That is why a lot of coaches don't use all 13 scholarships

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree because if you have 13 4 and 5 star players you will have 4 or 5 very unhappy players.  That is why a lot of coaches don't use all 13 scholarships

You use scholarships 11 to 13 on guys you think you can develop.  They have to be bought in on that though and if that is your plan you have to stick with it.  Leal seems to be perfectly fine with that role.  He honestly isn't the guy you look to replace, it is guys further up the roster who aren't performing like you thought they would.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll repeat something I've said before.  You cant play 13.  If roster decisions are required to help land an important transfer or recruit, they should be based on multiple factors, not just 'who is the 13th man'.

Totally agree, but Leal & LD aren't getting any meaningful minutes. When you've got Gunn, Banks playing above them, it's unlikely Leal will see the floor unless it's mop up time. Even if there are injuries, other guys will likely play before Anthony. (breaks my heart BTW)

Leal is the best team mate in the world. Not only on the court, but off, and probably in the locker room as well. He is good for morale which is important.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I used to be opposed to “Creaning”, but the world has changed. With the transfer portal, players are only committed to the program on a year to year basis, so it should apply in reverse. 

Absolutely.  The big argument before was that players were hamstrung from moving around.  Take that argument away, and there's no reason to keep kids that underperform.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 5:37 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

I used to be opposed to “Creaning”, but the world has changed. With the transfer portal, players are only committed to the program on a year to year basis, so it should apply in reverse. 

I used to not believe in cutting players you recruited. Since this Portal thing where you red shirt them build them up, then they play one year. Maybe it doesn’t go quite as good as they hoped they can leave an play elsewhere right away. 
Then why be loyal to them. If they don’t pan out as the team hoped, why not send them to the portal and bring in someone else. 
There’s nothing that stops a team from doing that now except would that hurt you recruiting. Unless maybe you tell them hey you come in if your unhappy are we’re unhappy with you. We will help you in the portal found the right school for you. 

2 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I used to not believe in cutting players you recruited. Since this Portal thing where you red shirt them build them up, then they play one year. Maybe it doesn’t go quite as good as they hoped they can leave an play elsewhere right away. 
Then why be loyal to them. If they don’t pan out as the team hoped, why not send them to the portal and bring in someone else. 
There’s nothing that stops a team from doing that now except would that hurt you recruiting. Unless maybe you tell them hey you come in if your unhappy are we’re unhappy with you. We will help you in the portal found the right school for you. 

I definitely see your point.  I also admire loyalty.  Probably best determined on a case by case basis.

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was never opposed to the ridiculous term "creaning" and it was consistently pumped as an issue, that wasn't an issue. Coaches have every right to dump kids if they aren't up to snuff. 

I think there were maybe 1 or 2 Crean-ings that I thought were an issue.  The Ron Patterson one was pretty crappy IMO.

I'm not the first person to say this, but I firmly believe in transparency and being upfront from the start. If the player knows what he/she is getting into from the jump, then there is no scrambling or mistrust later.

Many times in the recruitment phase a player is lead to believe they will get something that ultimately might not be the case. As a coach, why would you want to paint yourself into a corner? Let everyone know that you have to earn your spot, and so long as you adhere to the contract*, you are ok.

*not actual, monetary contract; but rather the agreement between player and coach/program