Nebraska Post Game Thread

KDB

15 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Post game presser

Did you chart that game?

I did, let me help you out on that. We had 9 open looks and 2 lay ups that we missed... NEXT QUESTION....

Was that Rabjohns that pissed off Mike Woodson again?

I predict that CMW has a "crystal ball" type comment before the end of the year. I LOVE THIS ! ! Go coach, GO!

Dude. I was about 15 minutes delayed on postgame because of lifetime responsibilities but that's the first time I can remember Coach Woodson going after someone like that about saying did you chart that,etc.....Amen Coach. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Dude. I was about 15 minutes delayed on postgame because of lifetime responsibilities but that's the first time I can remember Coach Woodson going after someone like that about saying did you chart that,etc.....Amen Coach. 

When it was done, I was honestly standing here, arms out, mouth wide open and a huge Stuff eating grin.

Mike Woodson don't take that crap. 😲

• Like 2

TJD was the obvious MVP of tonight’s game, but what we saw from Trey, Bates and Kopp was terrific. Kopp is really starting to play like the guy we thought we were getting last season. Trey’s motor was on full display and that step back got me out of my seat. When Bates is knocking down shots like he was tonight, it’s a thing of beauty. Nice team win and even though I thought we got lazy on the defensive end a couple of moments with a big lead, it was a fun game to watch. I really like the unselfish play, and seeing all of the guys make that extra pass. 

• Like 3

Great win Fellas!!!!! 1.) the refs were absolutely horrible on those charges. 2.) I don’t understand how Race has regressed l. He is just playing with zero confidence or something but as a 6th year senior he shouldn’t be missing the shots he’s missing but glad to see he limited his threes tonight and didn’t chuck multiple up like he has been. 3.) This is the second game in a row X has tried to force wayyyy too much because JHS isn’t in the lineup and ask these last two games teams are sagging in the lane so his normal drives and passes aren’t working so he’s gonna have to adjust.  4.) JHS hurts us not because of his scoring and passing but because it messed up the chemistry of that second unit of Bates Galloway and Reneau. 5.) JG is regressing as well I feel. He looks like a lost puppy out there and his strength of rebounds and dunks aren’t there.  I really hope by later in season Banks will be ready because I think he has so much more to offer than JG. 6.) if Kopp can keep ball faking and driving in like he has that changes how people defend us and ultimately help him. 7.) when JHS comes back I’d like to see more mid range jumpers and driving with kick out to our shooters. 8.) if Galloway has truly fixed his three point shot holy moly he’s gonna be insanely valuable going forward.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Because we won, this will get lost but I want to point out that the home team had more fouls called on them and had 8 free throws vs 14 for the visitors. 

Aren't we due for a home court advantage by the refs? 

Amen!!! I understand our defense is aggressive but how do we have arguable an all American big man and guards who drive the crap out of the ball and we lose the fouls? Only reason it even seemed close against UNC is because UJC fouled a ton at the end. I wonder if Woody can send tapes tkk on big ten refs to have them review and clean some things up. Also I better not see one more technical called on us for taunting after seeing Rutgers and Nebraska player doing it to JG.

• Like 2

Nice win, but I'd like to shake all the players who were brick masons at Rutgers.  The court is the same size...the hoops are the same size and height.  Every dimension is the same in Bloomington and New Jersey.  It's 100% upstairs when these guys can't hit the broad side of a barn on one floor and are lights out on the other one.

• Like 2

Once again, the officials SUCK.  Just re-watched two TERRIBLE charge calls on Xavier Johnson.  Both time defensive players still moving and the second one was a terrible flop.  Several more ridiculous flops after that with no warnings.  What does it take to get decent officiating?

• Like 2

Finally, as fans, we need to stop saying that {insert player name here} needs to be benched when they have an unproductive game.  Pretty much everyone aside from TJD has had a game or two this year where they'd disappeared only to rebound and have a great game later.  I've seen Kopp, JHS, Galloway, X, Reneau, Bates and Geronimo all get trashed one game and praised the next.  Anyone saying X needs to be benched based on what he did this evening hasn't paid much attention this season.

I'm not sure I've seen an IU season in a long time where it's so hard to predict who will be productive/unproductive from one game to the next.  IU has had multiple players this season go lights out and then completely disappear only go go lights out again.  Outside of TJD, most of the rest of the rotation has been very up and down in regard to productivity.  The short answer is IU needs them all.  At the same time, I really hope the rest of the rotation aside from TJD gets a lot more consistent than they've shown thus far.  It's got to drive Woody crazy figuring out which buttons to push from game to game.

• Like 5

hard for me to say really good win for a home game vs one of the worst teams in the conference and they were missing one of their key players.  it was very encouraging to see Galloway and Bates though!  XJ has been tough to watch the last 2 games.  please tell me JHS is back Sat.  really want that win.  if we get him back playing at the level that he was with Bates and Galloway coming around...

7 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Post game presser

Did you chart that game?

I did, let me help you out on that. We had 9 open looks and 2 lay ups that we missed... NEXT QUESTION....

Was that Rabjohns that pissed off Mike Woodson again?

I predict that CMW has a "crystal ball" type comment before the end of the year. I LOVE THIS ! ! Go coach, GO!

If he brings the whip up to podium with him watch out...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hard for me to say really good win for a home game vs one of the worst teams in the conference and they were missing one of their key players.  it was very encouraging to see Galloway and Bates though!  XJ has been tough to watch the last 2 games.  please tell me JHS is back Sat.  really want that win.  if we get him back playing at the level that he was with Bates and Galloway coming around...

We were without one of our best players and winning by 16 in a conference game doesn't happen that often. We had the lead up to 22

• Like 1

Good win over a team you cannot sleep on. Nice to see some shots falling for some of these guys (Trey and Tamar).  TJD with one of the most complete games ever played by an IU player. I thought Tamar and Miller played D about as well as I've seen them play it. Trey playing his usual D. Still, there is cause for concern.

Most teams are going to double and triple team TJD from here on out. What I'm seeing is IU relying on the three pointer to overcome this, which does make sense, but not sure you can call three point shooting a team strength just yet. Over the past two games IU is shooting a lot more threes than free throws - that's a problem.

Rutgers game: 25 threes attempted (6 of 25) and 14 free throws attempted

Nebraska game: 25 threes attempted (11 of 25) and 8 free throws attempted. Yep, 8.

My guess is teams are willing to take that gamble until IU proves they can hit a high level of threes going forward. There were possessions last night where IU moved the ball until the defense was scrambling and got some layups out of it. That has to be a bigger part of this offense and of course JHS would really help in that regard. If they want to double and triple TJD, IU needs to be able to move the ball and get easy shots and still get to the line. That means more of Race, JG, and others moving along the baseline and flashing for layups. More of Trey, X, JHS and others getting to the lane for jumpers and creating for others.

The other concerns is the offensive fouls on drives. There should have been two or three technical fouls on Nebraska for flopping and I'm getting the feeling IU is one of the few teams that will not get the home whistle in conference play. No techs given. No warnings given as far as I could tell. If that's the case IU has to get better at the drive.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

Just saw this stat on twitter. Trey Galloway 1 turnover in 138 minutes of action this year. Pretty impressive considering the amount of ball handling he does.

One other thought. We heard about Tamar from the players saying he would be the guy who makes the biggest jump. Dare I say I'm starting to feel confident it's going in with him from the corner?? Also Trey looks smooth and confident as well. Could be a coincidence, could be hard work...but I have to think having a guy like Jordy Hulls around has helped too.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Did you see that they beat a Top 10 team in the past week? Every conference win is a really good win, especially by double digits. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just saw this stat on twitter. Trey Galloway 1 turnover in 138 minutes of action this year. Pretty impressive considering the amount of ball handling he does.

One other thought. We heard about Tamar from the players saying he would be the guy who makes the biggest jump. Dare I say I'm starting to feel confident it's going in with him from the corner?? Also Trey looks smooth and confident as well. Could be a coincidence, could be hard work...but I have to think having a guy like Jordy Hulls around has helped too.

He's blown up two of his past three games. I think we all agreed our biggest question mark heading into the season was our wing play, and we are seeing some positive signs from all three guys which is huge. 

You already mentioned TG and TB, but I think Kopp deserves a mention. Obviously his shooting has been great this year, but I can't remember him scoring like that at IU in a game where he wasn't hitting from deep. If he can get double figures on an off shooting night because he's scoring in other ways that is a great thing for this team. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He's blown up two of his past three games. I think we all agreed our biggest question mark heading into the season was our wing play, and we are seeing some positive signs from all three guys which is huge. 

You already mentioned TG and TB, but I think Kopp deserves a mention. Obviously his shooting has been great this year, but I can't remember him scoring like that at IU in a game where he wasn't hitting from deep. If he can get double figures on an off shooting night because he's scoring in other ways that is a great thing for this team. 

Totally spaced Kopp.....how could I?? Haha. Like Hummel was adding in post game now he's added the dribble and pop to the arsenal defenders can't just guard the 3 only. 

Good to get back on the winning side of the ledger.

A few things, the officiating this year has left a whole lot to be desired.  The majority of the charges called yesterday weren't even close.  Also, the poster dunk on Geronimo where he is on the ground IIRC and got the stare down...based on what was done to our guys earlier in the year, that is a technical foul.  I don't think the officiating has cost us a game yet this year, but it can/will in a close one.

Going into the year I thought we had 3 (maybe 4) nonconference games that would tell us where we are going into January.  UNC, Arizona, and Kansas with a maybe Xavier since it was on the road.  We have 1 Q1 win right now. Carolina has not held up their end of the bargain and since it was a home game, they are solidly Q2 at the moment.  Arizona and Kansas loom pretty large for post season seeding IMO.  Winning @Kansas is going to be extremely difficult so this game at Arizona is looking pretty big IMO.

• Like 1