Nebraska Post Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Good to get back on the winning side of the ledger.

A few things, the officiating this year has left a whole lot to be desired.  The majority of the charges called yesterday weren't even close.  Also, the poster dunk on Geronimo where he is on the ground IIRC and got the stare down...based on what was done to our guys earlier in the year, that is a technical foul.  I don't think the officiating has cost us a game yet this year, but it can/will in a close one.

Going into the year I thought we had 3 (maybe 4) nonconference games that would tell us where we are going into January.  UNC, Arizona, and Kansas with a maybe Xavier since it was on the road.  We have 1 Q1 win right now. Carolina has not held up their end of the bargain and since it was a home game, they are solidly Q2 at the moment.  Arizona and Kansas loom pretty large for post season seeding IMO.  Winning @Kansas is going to be extremely difficult so this game at Arizona is looking pretty big IMO.

I think UNC will be a Quad 1 win before it's all said and done. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some of this fan base still amazes me where they can't be satisfied with a 16 point win in a conference game.  Some act like when we were winning big under RMK that all of our wins against bad teams were easy wins.

Nebraska did beat (then) #21 Creighton by ten. I know they had Sam Griesel for that game, but still, they are a good team and will beat some good teams.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think UNC will be a Quad 1 win before it's all said and done. 

Hope so.  They are floating around #40 in NET right now.  Need them to get into the Top 30.  That Xavier win is our single Quad 1 game so far.  Be nice to get Arizona this weekend.  I felt before the year that was a toss up (still do) and Kansas is likely to be a loss.  Going 3-1 in the 4 test games would be nice.

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

The other concerns is the offensive fouls on drives. There should have been two or three technical fouls on Nebraska for flopping and I'm getting the feeling IU is one of the few teams that will not get the home whistle in conference play. No techs given. No warnings given as far as I could tell. If that's the case IU has to get better at the drive.

For this season, the NCAA eliminated the warnings for flopping. Officials can award the tech, and one free throw, on the first offense. I wonder if it's had the opposite effect of what was intended and officials are now more reluctant to call the flop (which is always a judgement call). 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some of this fan base still amazes me where they can't be satisfied with a 16 point win in a conference game.  Some act like when we were winning big under RMK that all of our wins against bad teams were easy wins.

I’ve got a picture in my head of CMM’s response to some of our posters if they were in the post game interview! It looks something like John Chaney telling John Calipari, “I’ll Kill You!”

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

For this season, the NCAA eliminated the warnings for flopping. Officials can award the tech, and one free throw, on the first offense. I wonder if it's had the opposite effect of what was intended and officials are now more reluctant to call the flop (which is always a judgement call). 

You could very well be right about it having an opposite effect. My wish would be a no call if they suspect the flop.

• Like 1

Just rewatched the game this morning, and tried to  watch it without looking at the ball.

For those of us that think we did a good job on the boards this game, you might want to think about that again. NE never sent more than 1 guy (usually 0) to the offensive glass. We had (usually) 4 guys going to the same defensive glass. So I hope Woody still runs those rebounding/block out drills this week. We'll need them.

And we didn't do very well on the offensive glass either. Only TJD & JG made any consistent effort down low on the offensive side.

We took 25, 3 pt attempts. Hit 44% which is great, but...25 seems like a lot to me, esp for us. Yes we started hitting them (Yeah Gallo !!), TJD & Race should have more opportunities.

But...it was a very good win. Nice entertaining win for the home crowd. And hopefully it instills some more confidence in our outside shooting.

Couldn't ask for a better person to get a Triple-Double than TJD. Very well deserved. Let's get him another one!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

We took 25, 3 pt attempts. Hit 44% which is great, but...25 seems like a lot to me, esp for us. Yes we started hitting them (Yeah Gallo !!), TJD & Race should have more opportunities.

Until we hit the 3 consistently, we really have no choice. Trayce and Race can't go 1 on 3. If teams are going to play us this way, as Woody said in the post-game, that's what you have to take. I would like to see more cutting into the lane and on the baseline though.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Until we hit the3 consistently, we really have no choice. Trayce and Race can't go 1 on 3. If teams are going to play us this was, as Woody said in the post-game, that's what you have to take. I would like to see more cutting into the lane and on the baseline though.

I really like Trayce in the high post. He can drive to the basket or draw attention freeing up cutters. He has a good connection with Race. If Galloway can get more minute playing with TJD, I think you will see him being rewarded for his active cutting and running baseline 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I really like Trayce in the high post. He can drive to the basket or draw attention freeing up cutters. He has a good connection with Race. If Galloway can get more minute playing with TJD, I think you will see him being rewarded for his active cutting and running baseline 

Agree...And when we make teams play us more honestly in the double/triple team situations, then we can start getting Trayce and Race more post touches with the intent to score...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just rewatched the game this morning, and tried to  watch it without looking at the ball.

For those of us that think we did a good job on the boards this game, you might want to think about that again. NE never sent more than 1 guy (usually 0) to the offensive glass. We had (usually) 4 guys going to the same defensive glass. So I hope Woody still runs those rebounding/block out drills this week. We'll need them.

And we didn't do very well on the offensive glass either. Only TJD & JG made any consistent effort down low on the offensive side.

But...it was a very good win. Nice entertaining win for the home crowd. And hopefully it instills some more confidence in our outside shooting.

Couldn't ask for a better person to get a Triple-Double than TJD. Very well deserved. Let's get him another one!

For this game, I didn't think the 25 attempts were too much. They were taken as a smart adjustment to what the defense was showing us. 

The versatility of this team is what makes it special. If TJD wasn't doubled, he could've easily gone for 30.

And yes, as you've said, I hope their confidence is high heading into Vegas!

Just a few observations most has already been said. Great shooting performance from guys that most of us had concerns about coming into the season. Kopp is showing his value on both ends of the floor. I still think that he is our best team defender. I know that some on here are on him about going under screens but having really watched his play a lot last year and this I think its more scheme than him not wanting to fight over the top. Most BIG level guards can get to the rim with either hand but few can come off the PNR and shoot well with either direction. I have seen enough to believe that when he is going under it is by design to stop the drive or a miscommunication. Kopp's mid range game opens up a lot. TJD was TJD and we are witnessing a young man that has grown so much right in front of our eyes.  I am very happy for Trey and Tamar. If both guys can give us those threats each night we will be very hard to beat. Teams are going to have to pick their poison on when and where to double TJD.  I think X is just pressing too much but on the positive side most of the turnovers by the team were dead ball TO's and did not lead to points on the other end. I still worry every single time Race touches the ball, am I the only one??? Anything close to the basket and I just assume he is going to piss the 2 points away. I like him so much and root hard for him but of all the guys that play significant minutes I have the least amount of confidence in him. He needs a really good game to get him going. Overall I am very happy with a double digit win, following a loss in the BIG. This team is different but in the past this could have been one of those that led to a 3 or 4 game losing streak. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just a few observations most has already been said. Great shooting performance from guys that most of us had concerns about coming into the season. Kopp is showing his value on both ends of the floor. I still think that he is our best team defender. I know that some on here are on him about going under screens but having really watched his play a lot last year and this I think its more scheme than him not wanting to fight over the top. Most BIG level guards can get to the rim with either hand but few can come off the PNR and shoot well with either direction. I have seen enough to believe that when he is going under it is by design to stop the drive or a miscommunication. Kopp's mid range game opens up a lot. TJD was TJD and we are witnessing a young man that has grown so much right in front of our eyes.  I am very happy for Trey and Tamar. If both guys can give us those threats each night we will be very hard to beat. Teams are going to have to pick their poison on when and where to double TJD.  I think X is just pressing too much but on the positive side most of the turnovers by the team were dead ball TO's and did not lead to points on the other end. I still worry every single time Race touches the ball, am I the only one??? Anything close to the basket and I just assume he is going to piss the 2 points away. I like him so much and root hard for him but of all the guys that play significant minutes I have the least amount of confidence in him. He needs a really good game to get him going. Overall I am very happy with a double digit win, following a loss in the BIG. This team is different but in the past this could have been one of those that led to a 3 or 4 game losing streak. 

Race has regressed. Here are his stats for this season and last-

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
9 21.2 45.3 16.7 90.0 5.0 0.9 1.2 0.7 1.4 0.6 6.7
35 28.5 53.6 27.3 65.2 7.5 1.4 0.7 1.1 2.2 1.4 11.1

He needs a boost in confidence.

32 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Agree. He’s really good in the high post as a passer and driver. If he had a reliable 12-17 foot jump shot he’d be unstoppable. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree totally. There is good Race and bad Race and unfortunately we see more bad than good. He is not a shooter and honestly, to me he is very lazy. My hope is that Geronimo or Reneau keep improving and replace him in the starting line up. 

56 minutes ago, DWB said:

25 threes is an incredibly normal amount to take.

We shoot a better percentage from three than Purdue - just as an example they took 26 threes in their game against Duke. 25 attempts per game would put us at 60th in the country. 

I'm also confused by the rebounding comment, we didn't rebound well because they were worried about getting back on defense? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Race has regressed. Here are his stats for this season and last-

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
9 21.2 45.3 16.7 90.0 5.0 0.9 1.2 0.7 1.4 0.6 6.7
35 28.5 53.6 27.3 65.2 7.5 1.4 0.7 1.1 2.2 1.4 11.1

He needs a boost in confidence.

Minutes has went down as well