Arizona Post Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Reminded me of his games against Kofi at UI. He owned TJD until Woody called him out for being scared in the last meeting.

He needs to kick out quicker then resettle for a reentry against those 7 footers. Not bitching but bigger guys have always been a struggle for Jackson-Davis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kopp was tough all game long.  Deadly.  

Kopp, Bates, Galloway…..get a healthy JHS out there.  

IMO, Galloway has filled in for JHS admirably.  He doesn't bring what JHS does by any means, but he's been pretty steady and consistent.  He's outstanding as our 6th man and we miss that with needing him in the starting lineup.

• Like 5

It’s obvious we need to continue to work on our rebounding and defending the 3pt line. Too many offensive rebounds and open looks from 3. We’re a good team, but not quite there yet. Getting JHS back will help in both areas. On the positive side we shot 40% from 3. Tamar is looking better each game, and will be a major factor before year’s end. Still think we’re a potential final four team.

• Like 4

I’m ticked off but if I calm down….the bigger picture is what others have mentioned.  This was a really good game on our schedule.  Good taste of tough competition (length, speed, power, and savvy) that showed us a lot.   Very good experience for our roster.  We’ve talked about Bates rising to the occasion, Kopp wanting the ball, Galloway igniting.  But even a guy like Reneau got a taste of this level of speed, length, and intensity.  This kid is very talented and he’s processing it all.   

Watching this, guys like Banks and Gunn know they need to get in the weight room.   This was very beneficial exposure to every player on the team, and to the staff in terms of looking at it in terms of strategy.  

Heck, let’s build a series with these guys.  

PS it was a national TV Game on broadcast TV in prime time….

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

But even a guy like Reneau got a taste of this level of speed, length, and intensity.  This kid is very talented and he’s processing it all.   

Woody said in his radio show this week that Malik doesn't really understand how hard he has to play to succeed at this level...

He seemed to understand better in the extended minutes he got in the 2nd half... 

• Like 3

I liked the resolve, and the fact that they didn’t wilt away when down 19 early on. Yes the officiating has been hot garbage, but I feel like it’s been atrocious all over. Hopefully we get JHS back soon, because even though X quietly had a decent game… JHS provides a spark on both ends. Arizona has a solid team and would like to play them again in March. Lots of ball left to be played, and I think the guys will get much better as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

I’m pissed. Why does it take CMW to light a fire under Trayce to get him to play in big games? Why does Trayce need to “see Ballo” to motivate him? For God’s sake, TJD isn’t an underclassman. Why is he getting treated like this should be a learning experience for him? He’s supposed to be a POY candidate. All-American at the least. He should have been dictating not being dictated to.

When the going gets tough…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I’m pissed. Why does it take CMW to light a fire under Trayce to get him to play in big games? Why does Trayce need to “see Ballo” to motivate him? For God’s sake, TJD isn’t an underclassman. Why is he getting treated like this should be a learning experience for him? He’s supposed to be a POY candidate. All-American at the least. He should have been dictating not being dictated to.

When the going gets tough…

Finally….someone that gets it!! Thank you!! All I read here is excuses and that JHS is our missing piece!! We’re not that good and we’re SOFT on top of that!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

It’s obvious we need to continue to work on our rebounding and defending the 3pt line. 

I actually think we had a 1 or 2 rebound edge at half.  Ended up losing the boards by 10.

Defensing the 3 is absolutely a problem.  Even in games we have won where the other team has a poor percentage, it's more that they missed open shots than anything we did.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I actually think we had a 1 or 2 rebound edge at half.  Ended up losing the boards by 10.

Defensing the 3 is absolutely a problem.  Even in games we have won where the other team has a poor percentage, it's more that they missed open shots than anything we did.

Arizona had 16 offensive rebounds…won’t win against good teams allowing that.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

When you got a big guy who is allowed to play like Shaq (bull you out of the way with the shoulder) it is going to be hard for a 6'9" guy to guard that.  You have to expend a whole bunch of energy on the defensive end.  Arizona was allowed to be active with their hands in the interior in a way we were not for most of the game as well.

We need to get some guys that are 6'10" or bigger and can play.  Pur best interior players are all basically undersized.

This is definitely true and now that I'm reading you say this, I remember thinking during the 17-0 run how unlikely it was that there were no fouls with all the balls they stripped. Obviously without zooming in it's hard to say for certain, but generally a clean strip is going to knock the ball cleanly down and a lot of those balls didn't react that way.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Trayce has always had trouble with mobile guys that have length...

But, there were some positives... I see Tamar Bates growing into a player... Races 3s... Kopp being his steady self...

Our vaunted defense didn't play well, especially our bigs, but Arizona had some shotmakers. The Bal kid killed us.

Someone else said it, but I do think we match up better with Kansas... 

Arizona definitely is an elite team, but I just want to call out that a screener can't roll into the ball defender and move him off of his spot, which they did several times. Yes, they still have to make the shots (and they did, but it's a foul before the shot when that happens). I mean they put Gallo on the floor on a big momentum changing three in the second half. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Who missed more open 3s.. us or them? 

Defending the 3 has been the best part of our defense since Woodson got here, imo. 

I thought for the most part, it was fine tonight.  They hit 3 or 4 very tough 3s. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1