Arizona Post Game Thread

KDB

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can see that in the box score. I asked who missed more open ones.. us or them? I thought it was pretty clear we missed more "open 3s" than they did. 

FWIW-- teams are shooting 30% from the 3pt line against us. 

Yeah, I would say we missed more open 3s.  I would also say that when they missed they seemed to get the O-reb.  But my eyes aren't what they once were.

Our guards inability to penetrate/be effective in the PnR directly impacted TJD. 

He didn't have his best game playing against 2 dudes 3 inches taller than him.  Those two guys are talented.  

With Bates playing well(and JHS is back), and when we aren't playing AZ... might see more of Kopp at the 4... especially with JG+MR ineffectiveness. 🤷‍♂️

Keep improving fellas. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, I would say we missed more open 3s.  I would also say that when they missed they seemed to get the O-reb.  But my eyes aren't what they once were.

Yeah.  Our Dreb is poor. I was just confused by the "we defend the 3pt line poorly"... 

I think we defend the line scouting report based. Some guys you don't let shoot at all, some guys you just don't allow to hit two in a row. 

Edited by btownqb

I agree that defensive rebounding, and maybe transition defense, were the biggest problems.  I've said this for years that when you let a team get comfortable in transition, it makes everything easier, and we let them get a little too comfortable. But I've never played or coached above church league,  so I don't know much.

If we don't have a true big man, than we better have really good guards. Arizona is a very good team that has a clear advantage over us with their size, which means our guards have to offset this.  TJD wasn't the problem in this game.  He is a great player, but he has never been a player that can match up well against really good 7 footers. XJ has not played well without JHS.  Really good teams take something away from other teams. Arizona took way TJD. If we are going to be a really good team, we have to be like wack-a-mole. 

This really felt like a tournament game, which will only help later.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

Bates becoming a consistent shooter. Wonder what having JHS would’ve done

Bates could be absolutely huge for us.  JHS already is huge for us.  any given game he is our 2nd or 3rd most important player.  hard to take that guy from any team and think they'll beat a top 10 team.  just stinks.  silver lining is if Bates and Galloway can play at their best level and we get JHS back, that's solid.  i just want to see us winning enough to stay highly ranked and winning conference games, so i hope it all comes together soon!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

IMO, Galloway has filled in for JHS admirably.  He doesn't bring what JHS does by any means, but he's been pretty steady and consistent.  He's outstanding as our 6th man and we miss that with needing him in the starting lineup.

that's the thing.  we obviously miss JHS in the lineup, and it has been nice seeing good signs from TG and TB, but we need that off the bench.  a healthy JHS will put us closer to the goals that we want for this team.  let's just hope that is soon.  

definitely not being all Doomsday over here.  just bummed that we didn't have our full arsenal in this one.  AZ made big shots.  they are a very good team.  i just want to win games like this.  to me, we have a decent road win against an unranked team, and a nice home win against a team who is now unranked.  really hoping JHS is back to where he was against Kansas and we get that signature win.  if not, i get that conference is the most important thing, but i'm curious to see if we can win conference games on the road.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

definitely not being all Doomsday over here.  just bummed that we didn't have our full arsenal in this one.  AZ made big shots.  they are a very good team.  i just want to win games like this.  to me, we have a decent road win against an unranked team, and a nice home win against a team who is now unranked.  really hoping JHS is back to where he was against Kansas and we get that signature win.  if not, i get that conference is the most important thing, but i'm curious to see if we can win conference games on the road.  

I know KenPom isn’t the AP top 25 but UNC is 25 and Xavier is 29 statistically 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

I know KenPom isn’t the AP top 25 but UNC is 25 and Xavier is 29 statistically 

okay.  i mean i get it.  they're certainly not bad teams.  just saying they aren't currently ranked and we haven't done as much as top 15 teams have to be where they are.  i got my hopes up that we were a legit top 10 team.  not saying that we can't still be, but i want to see it so bad!

I'm not nearly as upset about this loss as I (still) am about the Rutgers loss.

Clearly...AZ was, and is a better team. Bigger, stronger, faster, and more physical than we were. Lloyd (coach) is a pretty good coach from the looks of it. He was working the refs even before the tip.

Hope Woody uses this as a blueprint of how much better we have to be to compete on the big stage.

Yeah the refs were lousy, but they always are, esp on the road. But a few bad calls didn't cost us the game. We cost us the game by letting them run in transition. And not blocking out for rebounds, and turning our heads and getting beat on back cuts and blow bys.

The one thing that stood out to me was the glaring difference on how they used a screen vs how we use a screen. 

• Like 4

Bates Kopp and Galloway are all starting to play the way we need. Her JHS back and this team is a contender for the big10 and in the tournament. Davis and Johnson both had subpar games and the game was close with 5 minutes left 

the missed goal tending and horrible flop call completely changed momentum. My not have changed the outcome but it definitely took away the momentum. Game should have new 4 points and a charge, IU ball. Instead 10 points and lost momentum. The flop should have been a charge or no call. That was the only 2 options. Definitely contact. Malik did sell it by falling but it was enough contact to call it or just play on. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

If we don't have a true big man, than we better have really good guards. Arizona is a very good team that has a clear advantage over us with their size, which means our guards have to offset this.  TJD wasn't the problem in this game.  He is a great player, but he has never been a player that can match up well against really good 7 footers. XJ has not played well without JHS.  Really good teams take something away from other teams. Arizona took way TJD. If we are going to be a really good team, we have to be like wack-a-mole. 

This really felt like a tournament game, which will only help later.

XJ was 11 and 11, and Zona went on their run with him on the bench with a bummer of a second foul. He played more than good enough to win yesterday, just wish he’d have not been in early foul trouble. 

• Like 2

Zone is legit top 5/10 team. We aren't. Hopefully at some point this year. Time to develop and succeed. One thing that was hard to stomach watching this was how easily they dismantled our defense (including defensive rebounding), which had been a strength thus far. They took it to us from the jump overall and we simply took too long to match the intensity. Hopefully we took a lesson and get pissed about being manhandled physically in this one, regardless of their size advantage.

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 3

Hard to win when you give up a 17-0 run early. Arizona is a VERY good team and I was pleasantly surprised that we actually kept competing. 

Loved Race hitting those threes and Bates looked great out there. 

I feel like there was a time late in the second half where we hit a bunch of threes, but AZ hit like 5 or 6 in a row. I feel like they resemble a Euro pro league team more than college. 

• Like 3

I am hopeful. Now they know where the bar is set if they want to compete for the title.  And for the future CMW can see the kind of size and skill they will be needed.

Having TJD is great and he is a tremendous college player. But he struggles scoring over elite size and has no jumper to go to. That's the thorn in his side. But add a true center with size similar to AZ and  you wonder how much better TJD could have been. Sadly we will not see that for TJD.

Even though they lost they found ways to fight back until the end when it really got away. JHS would of helped but  not sure it changes the outcome. Win vs Kansas and suddenly things start ooking a lot better.

Its another shot at a signature win and on the road. Let's hope they can grow up and learn from these last two losses.

Edited by Euroclydon