5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Sounds like Kansas fans think this is an horrific matchup for them 

Kansas message board...

soapboxstew avatar

soapboxstew
Posted on 20 hrs, , User Since 168 months ago, User Post Count: 11154
  • 20 hrs
  • 168 months

Indiana is basically the polar opposite of Mizzou. Whereas Mizzou was a fantastic matchup for us- Indiana is a horrific matchup for us.

It all starts with KJ having to check Indiana’s Senior, pre-season AA, B1G 10 POY, 1st team All Defense, Trayce Jackson-Davis. JD is an elite post scorer with a freakishly long frame and and a once in a generation second jump (as Bill Self said, his second jump is only comparable to Wiggins in his entire time coaching). Meaning he is a downright extraordinary offensive rebounder- especially off his own misses. His length and quick step also make him a great shot blocker; and the shots he doesn’t block, he alters. So we’ll labor at the rim. We’ll labor for defensive rebounds- and in turn give up offensive rebounds. JD may well be the worst big for us to go against in all of college basketball.

Look for us to double every time he gets the ball in the post. Which should speed them up a bit and keep our own defense active and tuned up for tipped balls. Hopefully, we can force a boatload of turnovers and run; because we will have to hunt easy offense.

In the half court on offense, we will have all kinds of issues scoring at the rim. It’s not like we’ll be able to middle screen them to death like we did to Mizzou. JD will not be face guarding KJ. In fact, I don’t see Indiana doing much help defense at all outside of JD blocking shots right at the rim. KJ will be swallowed up and taken out of the game completely, and we won’t be able to dump it off to him if JD challenges the driver because of JD’s second jump; and KJ is not near big or strong enough to body JD out of the way of our drivers.

So, we have to shoot 3s. We need points from Grady (in both halves) and from McCullar from the perimeter. We need Janlen to hit a few as well and take any open 15-18ft jumpers he gets. We’ll have a better chance at offensive rebounds from longer shots.

I like like the way we matchup with their guards on both ends, even though they don’t turn it over much. They have a sharp shooter in Kopp, who doesn’t get enough minutes for some reason. This will be a homecoming for Tamar Bates (who is from KC), and as a 16% 3pt shooter, look for him to hit his first 5 in a row..

All-in-all, we can win this one in Allen. But we will be facing a bad matchup. We’ve had more than a week (going back to before Mizzou) to practice the double team down low that we will see in this game- and it could be the missing ingredient to our season.

But gamblers, stay away from this one. I can honestly see just about any outcome. Both teams haven’t played in a week. Indiana will be coming in hungry; we’re at home. Anything can happen. I just want to see if we can muster an effective double team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

image.png.f7312c15ed03a2a1c4e8dd0b0e0ca6ec.png

I wonder if this guy even knows who our coach is?

He’s pretty much spot on though. The last 4 years, opposing teams only had to double down on Trace. Maybe even piss off the IU guards early with some cheap shot fouls and take their head out of the game. Force IU build a brick wall with their terrible shooting.

Rebound, rebound, rebound. Defense has to lead to offense. Trace has to be on point with his bunnies and some shots dropping in from someone would be helpful to have a chance at leaving Allen field house with a dub. Fight, scratch and claw if you want it as this one won’t be easy.

Hopefully Jalen can play.

Go Hoosiers!

• Like 2

Someone posted a video last night on twitter to me is the key to game. Kansas likes to double block so how quickly TJD can A)get the basket or B)get the ball out of his hands to either open 3 or a cutter is key for us I believe.

Hopefully we come out strong. Don't want to spot a great team 15 point lead like we did vs Zona.

• Like 2

Really hope this team can rebound (north on the boards and after the loss) to get the win. Kansas is a very good team, but if IU can stay focused on defense, it will keep them in any game. Hope TJD and JHS are healthy, and have a collective group effort get the win. 

Just want a hard fought competitive game. Hope for a Hoosier win, but just keep it close and fight hard! 

• Like 1