Honest take on Bball Program?

43 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not advocating for playing more cupcakes. Here are some teams that are 40-65 in the NET. Memphis, OK St, Colorado, NC ST, FL, Nevada, UNLV, Missouri, UCF. Those are winnable, but still challenging, road games that would still count as a Quad 1 road win. If you lose, it's a Quad 1 loss, but so is a loss at Kansas, that is almost a zero chance for a road win. 

I can get on board with any of those teams except Nevada.  Want no part of the Alford circus if Nevada somehow won.

This criticism may be mooted moving forward depending on XJ's status, but what's perplexed me this season is that we went away from the offensive adjustments we made last season that allowed us to get hot down the stretch. Specifically, TJD and XJ playing off one another in the PnR. We've seen relatively little of that this year, especially in the games where our offense bogged down.

I think that expectations for this season were (reasonably) based on the assumption the team would build off the lessons and adjustments it made last year. But for whatever reason, the team doesn't seem to have retained those lessons. Until it does, its ceiling is lower than expected.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not advocating for playing more cupcakes. Here are some teams that are 40-65 in the NET. Memphis, OK St, Colorado, NC ST, FL, Nevada, UNLV, Missouri, UCF. Those are winnable, but still challenging, road games that would still count as a Quad 1 road win. If you lose, it's a Quad 1 loss, but so is a loss at Kansas, that is almost a zero chance for a road win. 

I would be down with adding some more schools like that to the mix as well.

For what it's worth, I just saw that KU and Arizona are #4 and #5 in both polls this week (#6 and #8) in the NET. Not sure any team will have a tougher 2-game stretch on their schedule this year. 

• Like 1

I think the program has longer to go than most of us hoped for or probably want to admit. I’m not sure if we are the borderline FF contenders some of us were hoping for, especially if the report ends up not being good for X. I do think we are a better team than last year though. Overall, I believe Woody has is moving in the right direction. 

• Like 3

Also this has been a problem I have seen all year even with the cupcake teams Kennesaw State being the latest. Our 3 point defense is suspect cause of overhelping and slow changes. It has allowed teams to feel comfortable from the arc. This gives us a major problem when out offense isn't clicking. Not to mention trading 2s for 3s isn't a good tradeoff.

Next point unfortunately I feel until we can recruit consistently and get balanced classes and balanced positions in those classes we will not be able to get back to a prominent status year in and year out. I like the Malik Reneu and JHS recruiting cause they are high level multi year players. We need 2 to 3 of those type of recruitments every year. We also need a legit big every year or every other year cause they normally take longer to mature and blossom.

The last thing I see is we need an attitude change. We exemplified it earlier this year when we went to Xavier and won. There was a Boulder size chip on our shoulder a swagger a pit bull take no crap type mentality. After the Rutgers game we have regressed into our old ways of meekness it seems where if we are outside of Assembly Hall we don't play with confidence. We turned into a paper tiger. Geo Bakers quote really stuck with me on this. He said he wasn't worried about IU. We need to make teams doubt that they may even win on their own home court. We need to start winning the mental game instead of losing the mental game before it starts. 

Edited by ButlerHoosier
  • Like 2

The long layoff could go numerous directions related to team and rest of season.  

1. Could be the chance to get healthy before the conference season really kicks off

2.  Could be a time for them to make tweaks and improve some areas (offensive movement, half court D, rebounding)

3.  In my opinion, the Iowa game is a perfect place to get rolling.  Iowa is mid-low tier this year in conference.  

4.  Lose here and they are 0-2 on the road before playing any conference-ranked foes away from home.  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 2:35 AM, Fundamentals said:

The long layoff could go numerous directions related to team and rest of season.  

1. Could be the chance to get healthy before the conference season really kicks off

2.  Could be a time for them to make tweaks and improve some areas (offensive movement, half court D, rebounding)

3.  In my opinion, the Iowa game is a perfect place to get rolling.  Iowa is mid-low tier this year in conference.  

4.  Lose here and they are 0-2 on the road before playing any conference-ranked foes away from home.  

Does anyone have our record the last 10 years when coming off a long layoff, say 1 week or more?  How well do we usually do?

24 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Does anyone have our record the last 10 years when coming off a long layoff, say 1 week or more?  How well do we usually do?

I get your thinking from a fan perspective, but probably isn't relevant prior to last season. That is the type of thing that is really reflective of preparation by the coaching staff. What Crean or Archie did doesn't really matter. Even among the players, most of the rotation, other than Race and Trayce really haven't been here more than two seasons. 

Last year the team had a holiday layoff from 12-22 until a game at Penn St on Jan. 2nd, a 61-58 loss. 

This season, there was a week prior to Xavier and Kansas. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson