Elon Post Game

Inequality

18 minutes ago, Coach Shep said:

Bethune Cookman ranked 354 and you all made XJ out to be all american.

You think it’s because of that game and not the Xavier or UNC game, or even the Zona game where some folks said he was bad and he still had a double double and we outplayed them when he was on the court?

• Like 4

FWIW, I was at the game, 6 rows up behind the backboard. Here's what I saw:

Warmups: Knight would have suspended about 6 guys on the spot last night for the stunt they pulled. And none of the ass't coaches on the floor saw it, or ignored it. A group of IU players spent time during shooting warmups, not stretching warmups, practicing their damn dance steps. RJD was part of it along with Geronimo. Joking it up, not serious at all about the game in a few minutes. The most serious guy on the floor during warmups was Logan by far, followed by CJ, Malik, Gallo, Leal, JHS, and Kopp. The rest couldn't give a crap. You could tell Logan knew he was going to get some good minutes.

Game: We got beat so many times off the bounce I was sick. And got by them in transition a ton. And I don't remember seeing one, not one, screen for the entire game from an IU player. Everybody was standing around waiting to get the ball and they try to drive or shoot it. Race never got out of second gear going up and down the court. Lots of people around me made comments about it.

I was glad we had to go up against a zone all night. Good to get some experience in dealing with it. But one thing I did not see was any pass fakes, or shot fakes from us. Elon use the fake alot, and we bit almost every time. Thus they got a lot of open looks, and layups because of it.

If we don't play a helluva lot better than this, we'll be lucky to finish in the ½ in the B1G.

One side note. A few of you guys have mentioned starting Bates over Gallo. I disagree. Gallo is a monster on defense. The big difference between him and Bates on defense, is that Gallo tries to deny his man the ball. Bates waits until his guy receives the ball and then tries to shut him down. Both got beat a fair amount last night, mainly because of the fakes that Elon used. But Gallo is higher up on the rotation IMO. Bates shot is coming around and that's good, but Gallo's defense and energy trump Bates shot, for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I haven't heard anything about Geronimo - why didn't he play?

I was surprised he didn't play. IUFLA said he has a dislocated finger, but you'd never know it from warmups. He was jumping all around dunking the ball with both hands, playing the ball off the backboard and then stuffing it full force. No hold back on either hand, and I didn't see any wrap on it.

I'm not saying IUFLA is wrong, I just didn't see any evidence of injury. I figured he was in Woody's doghouse.

19 minutes ago, DWB said:

I was surprised he didn't play. IUFLA said he has a dislocated finger, but you'd never know it from warmups. He was jumping all around dunking the ball with both hands, playing the ball off the backboard and then stuffing it full force. No hold back on either hand, and I didn't see any wrap on it.

I'm not saying IUFLA is wrong, I just didn't see any evidence of injury. I figured he was in Woody's doghouse.

From our friend  @The Daily Hoosier

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DWB said:

He did have a brace on his hand

50 minutes ago, DWB said:

FWIW, I was at the game, 6 rows up behind the backboard. Here's what I saw:

Warmups: Knight would have suspended about 6 guys on the spot last night for the stunt they pulled. And none of the ass't coaches on the floor saw it, or ignored it. A group of IU players spent time during shooting warmups, not stretching warmups, practicing their damn dance steps. RJD was part of it along with Geronimo. Joking it up, not serious at all about the game in a few minutes. The most serious guy on the floor during warmups was Logan by far, followed by CJ, Malik, Gallo, Leal, JHS, and Kopp. The rest couldn't give a crap. You could tell Logan knew he was going to get some good minutes.

Game: We got beat so many times off the bounce I was sick. And got by them in transition a ton. And I don't remember seeing one, not one, screen for the entire game from an IU player. Everybody was standing around waiting to get the ball and they try to drive or shoot it. Race never got out of second gear going up and down the court. Lots of people around me made comments about it.

I was glad we had to go up against a zone all night. Good to get some experience in dealing with it. But one thing I did not see was any pass fakes, or shot fakes from us. Elon use the fake alot, and we bit almost every time. Thus they got a lot of open looks, and layups because of it.

If we don't play a helluva lot better than this, we'll be lucky to finish in the ½ in the B1G.

One side note. A few of you guys have mentioned starting Bates over Gallo. I disagree. Gallo is a monster on defense. The big difference between him and Bates on defense, is that Gallo tries to deny his man the ball. Bates waits until his guy receives the ball and then tries to shut him down. Both got beat a fair amount last night, mainly because of the fakes that Elon used. But Gallo is higher up on the rotation IMO. Bates shot is coming around and that's good, but Gallo's defense and energy trump Bates shot, for now.

to be fair, TJD and Geronimo weren't playing. Seems okay to dance when you're not a part of the game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

to be fair, TJD and Geronimo weren't playing. Seems okay to dance when you're not a part of the game. 

The reason I made the comment about TJD being there is that he's supposed to be the leader of the team. Leaders don't let this crap go on as part of the warmup routine. And it wasn't just TJD & JG. There were about 6-8 guys in the huddle doing their thing.

Personally I found it disgusting.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, DWB said:

The reason I made the comment about TJD being there is that he's supposed to be the leader of the team. Leaders don't let this crap go on as part of the warmup routine. And it wasn't just TJD & JG. There were about 6-8 guys in the huddle doing their thing.

Personally I found it disgusting.

So you’re telling me we won with ease, the guys had fun, lots of young guys got extended minutes and played well with it, and we are supposed to be disgusted by it?

Sorry man, there never was going to be anything to read into this game or the game Friday. Just take them for the easy wins they are and let the guys have fun. They mean nothing for the big picture. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

So you’re telling me we won with ease, the guys had fun, lots of young guys got extended minutes and played well with it, and we are supposed to be disgusted by it?

Sorry man, there never was going to be anything to read into this game or the game Friday. Just take them for the easy wins they are and let the guys have fun. They mean nothing for the big picture. 

We did not win with ease until Woody called the first time out (Elon was up 2-3 a good 2-3 minutes into the game). Woody chewed their asses during the time out. Then we came out and started to play. We were lazy again to start the game. It's becoming a habit. And if you don't think that warmups are important, well....that's fine. You're entitled to that opinion, and I won't try to change it. 

The reason "nobody is afraid of Indiana anymore" (Ron Harper Jr quote) is because of crap like what I saw during warmups with a "give a shit" attitude. The game won't mean much in the long run, but the behavior and focus of our team sure does IMO.

But if this game didn't mean anything, why did we even have practice preparing for them? Why not throw "one game at a time" out the window and just practice for the game 2 weeks from now? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DWB said:

We did not win with ease until Woody called the first time out (Elon was up 2-3 a good 2-3 minutes into the game). Woody chewed their asses during the time out. Then we came out and started to play. We were lazy again to start the game. It's becoming a habit. And if you don't think that warmups are important, well....that's fine. You're entitled to that opinion, and I won't try to change it. 

The reason "nobody is afraid of Indiana anymore" (Ron Harper Jr quote) is because of crap like what I saw during warmups with a "give a shit" attitude. The game won't mean much in the long run, but the behavior and focus of our team sure does IMO.

But if this game didn't mean anything, why did we even have practice preparing for them? Why not throw "one game at a time" out the window and just practice for the game 2 weeks from now? 

i'm with ya on this one, but you're arguing with the crew who always band together and think they are never wrong.  give it up and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

As I said, the announcers said that Woody had put them through a bit more than a shoot around before that, and I think there was a method to his madness.

He didn't want them to be fresh. He knew he was going to be playing kids that normally didn't get significant minutes, and that the opponent was not high caliber. He knew the talent gap alone would have us winning, but I think he wanted to see who would battle through the fatigue and play hard. He's talked about "motor" a lot lately. Ok, let's see who's got it...

The other thing I'm sure he stresses to kids who want to think they played well... Ok, you played well against subpar competition. But that's not who you're going to be measured against... It's the kids from Arizona and Kansas who'll be competing with you for the next level. You have to prove yourself against that competition, and I'm trying to get you ready for that by urging you to play hard against everybody... 

• Like 2

The context around the Elon game, and the ensuing discussion, sure changed after last night. All the caveats being made for the level of competition we were playing, then Iowa loses to an even worse Eastern Illinois team. The Panthers are currently 349 out of 363 on KenPom. I don't know what they were ranked going into the game, but I'm guessing it was worse than 349.

Iowa was without Connor McCaffery & Kris Murray, sure, just as we were without Trayce and Xavier. The Hawkeyes still lost by 9 as a 31.5 point favorite. Along with the obvious schadenfreude, it's a good reminder as fans to never take anything for granted. It sure changes how I read this thread.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm with ya on this one, but you're arguing with the crew who always band together and think they are never wrong.  give it up and move on.

I think Blue addressed this the other day, but just reiterating his post, enough with the constant complaining about people disagreeing with you. You spend most of your time here sub-posting/calling people out without actually naming them and it is getting extremely tiresome. 

Not everyone is going to agree with you, either engage and debate with them which would be great, or move on, but enough with the sub-posting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1