Elon Post Game

Inequality

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As I said, the announcers said that Woody had put them through a bit more than a shoot around before that, and I think there was a method to his madness.

He didn't want them to be fresh. He knew he was going to be playing kids that normally didn't get significant minutes, and that the opponent was not high caliber. He knew the talent gap alone would have us winning, but I think he wanted to see who would battle through the fatigue and play hard. He's talked about "motor" a lot lately. Ok, let's see who's got it...

The other thing I'm sure he stresses to kids who want to think they played well... Ok, you played well against subpar competition. But that's not who you're going to be measured against... It's the kids from Arizona and Kansas who'll be competing with you for the next level. You have to prove yourself against that competition, and I'm trying to get you ready for that by urging you to play hard against everybody... 

This is an old CRMK tactic/theme.  The practices are hard and physical.  So the game seems easy.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, DWB said:

FWIW, I was at the game, 6 rows up behind the backboard. Here's what I saw:

Warmups: Knight would have suspended about 6 guys on the spot last night for the stunt they pulled. And none of the ass't coaches on the floor saw it, or ignored it. A group of IU players spent time during shooting warmups, not stretching warmups, practicing their damn dance steps. RJD was part of it along with Geronimo. Joking it up, not serious at all about the game in a few minutes. The most serious guy on the floor during warmups was Logan by far, followed by CJ, Malik, Gallo, Leal, JHS, and Kopp. The rest couldn't give a crap. You could tell Logan knew he was going to get some good minutes.

Game: We got beat so many times off the bounce I was sick. And got by them in transition a ton. And I don't remember seeing one, not one, screen for the entire game from an IU player. Everybody was standing around waiting to get the ball and they try to drive or shoot it. Race never got out of second gear going up and down the court. Lots of people around me made comments about it.

I was glad we had to go up against a zone all night. Good to get some experience in dealing with it. But one thing I did not see was any pass fakes, or shot fakes from us. Elon use the fake alot, and we bit almost every time. Thus they got a lot of open looks, and layups because of it.

If we don't play a helluva lot better than this, we'll be lucky to finish in the ½ in the B1G.

Interesting yet not surprising from what we’ve heard from many. Great teams come in with a business mindset. We appear to lack that and it’s not just this team.  Year after year we seem to play uninspired basketball. Unfortunately this is something we just can’t change over night…which is even more of a cause for concern for this year’s team. We need to develop positive habits even if it’s against lousy teams. 

Glad to hear young guys like JHS/Gunn/Malik were serious. Being young and taking it serious, albeit against a far lesser opponent, is a positive. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, slojoe said:

This is an old CRMK tactic/theme.  The practices are hard and physical.  So the game seems easy.

This is a RMK tactic that will ALWAYS be in style and I agree with it wholeheartedly. His thoughts on preparation are always something I've admired, tried my best to instill in my teams. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is a RMK tactic that will ALWAYS be in style and I agree with it wholeheartedly. His thoughts on preparation are always something I've admired, tried my best to instill in my teams. 

Some would have said 'back in the day' that RMK's practice tactics wore the team down by the end of the season.

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was laughing at the end of the game when CJ got rim-punked on that breakaway slam... I knew his legs were spaghetti at that point... 

He does play hard. After getting to see him up close, he's a toothpick compared to other guys his size. Needs to add at least 15-20 lbs to be on the "light" side of normal for D1. 

But if he can add some more smartz to his energy, he'll be formitable. the game has to slow down for him a little.

Kopp made an interesting comment during the post game presser. Said CJ's role this year may not be the same next year or the year after. Interesting take.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWB said:

We did not win with ease until Woody called the first time out (Elon was up 2-3 a good 2-3 minutes into the game). Woody chewed their asses during the time out. Then we came out and started to play. We were lazy again to start the game. It's becoming a habit. And if you don't think that warmups are important, well....that's fine. You're entitled to that opinion, and I won't try to change it. 

The reason "nobody is afraid of Indiana anymore" (Ron Harper Jr quote) is because of crap like what I saw during warmups with a "give a shit" attitude. The game won't mean much in the long run, but the behavior and focus of our team sure does IMO.

But if this game didn't mean anything, why did we even have practice preparing for them? Why not throw "one game at a time" out the window and just practice for the game 2 weeks from now? 

You aren't going to blowout teams in the first 3 minutes of the game anyways.  Again this is the toughest week for a coach to get a team ready to play.  That is why you have seen so many huge upsets this week. Last night Purdue was down to New Orleans with 8 minutes to go in the half. People will be happier when they stop expecting perfection from  their sports teams.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DWB said:

The reason I made the comment about TJD being there is that he's supposed to be the leader of the team. Leaders don't let this crap go on as part of the warmup routine. And it wasn't just TJD & JG. There were about 6-8 guys in the huddle doing their thing.

Personally I found it disgusting.

Need more information. Who had the best dance moves? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My daughter spent the 30 minutes i had over lunch to take a nap making as much noise as she could.  Made herself lunch and was facetiming her boyfriend the whole time.  As soon as my alert went off telling me it was time to get back to work, she grabbed her stuff and went downstairs.  So i did not get a lunch nap that i really needed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My daughter spent the 30 minutes i had over lunch to take a nap making as much noise as she could.  Made herself lunch and was facetiming her boyfriend the whole time.  As soon as my alert went off telling me it was time to get back to work, she grabbed her stuff and went downstairs.  So i did not get a lunch nap that i really needed.

you sir, are a true Warrior.  i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  headed for my nap now. 

• Haha 3