Kennesaw St. Post Game

Inequality

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think we're just going to face the fact we're a "grind it out" team... We seem to have different parts function well in games, we just haven't had all parts working together... Yet... UNC maybe... 

He's seems like a much better catch and release guy than if he has time to think or tries a pass/shot fake first... 

agreed

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Definitely agree it's a fair question and we need more sample size, so Race will have to keep shooting. 

We’ve now had a 1/2 decade worth of sample sizes of Race’s 3 point shooting and the numbers aren’t good. He’s made a total of 29 in his career. I’m not against him taking an occasional 3 point shot to keep the defense honest but we don’t need more 3 point shooting samples from Race and we shouldn’t rely on him…to all of a sudden become a better shooter. His shooting is what it is. We’ve seen it for years now and way more often than not, it leads to a empty possession - just like a turnover. In terms of shooting, a more likelier area that Race can improve on would be his 62% career FT shooting numbers. It’s closer to the basket and he goes to the foul line quite a bit because of the position he plays and he’s a good rebounder. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

We’ve now had a 1/2 decade worth of sample sizes of Race’s 3 point shooting and the numbers aren’t good. He’s made a total of 29 in his career. I’m not against him taking an occasional 3 point shot to keep the defense honest but we don’t need more 3 point shooting samples from Race and we shouldn’t rely on him…to all of a sudden become a better shooter. His shooting is what it is. We’ve seen it for years now and way more often than not, it leads to a empty possession - just like a turnover. In terms of shooting, a more likelier area that Race can improve on would be his 62% career FT shooting numbers. It’s closer to the basket and he goes to the foul line quite a bit because of the position he plays and he’s a good rebounder. 

We have also seen him shoot pretty good for stretches in his career and we have seen what happens to the offense when we can play Four Out. Heck, you even mentioned it in your very next post.

Dating back to the last 10 games of last season Race is shooting 33% from deep on 45 attempts. That's including what was a very poor start to this season that we've seen start to turn around since the Rutgers loss(33% since then if you take out the hot game against UA).

Personally I’m fine with saying Race can continue shooting a few every game, and we all seem to agree the offense is better when we don’t have 2 post players clogging things up. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We have also seen him shoot pretty good for stretches in his career and we have seen what happens to the offense when we can play Four Out. Heck, you even mentioned it in your very next post.

Dating back to the last 10 games of last season Race is shooting 33% from deep on 45 attempts. That's including what was a very poor start to this season that we've seen start to turn around since the Rutgers loss(33% since then if you take out the hot game against UA).

Personally I’m fine with saying Race can continue shooting a few every game, and we all seem to agree the offense is better when we don’t have 2 post players clogging things up. 

Correct me if I’m wrong…but I don’t think Race made any threes or was even looking to shoot any when we had him playing in the 1 big 4 guard lineup. Which was the right play. We were successful not because KSU was afraid Race was going to take threes (honestly they probably would’ve welcomed that) but because we got him out of the paint which allowed our quicker guards to get around the corner and drive right to the basket over and over again without having to worry about a help defender coming in…as well as him not shooting multiple threes which likely would’ve ended in empty possessions. Again, as mentioned in my previous post, not against him taking an occasional 3 to keep the defense honest…but we don’t need more sample sizes…he’s right on his career 3 pt shooting numbers this year. 26-27% from deep.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong…but I don’t think Race made any threes or was even looking to shoot any when we had him playing in the 1 big 4 guard lineup. Which was the right play. We were successful not because KSU was afraid Race was going to take threes (honestly they probably would’ve welcomed that) but because we got him out of the paint which allowed our quicker guards to get around the corner and drive right to the basket over and over again without having to worry about a help defender coming in…as well as him not shooting multiple threes which likely would’ve ended in empty possessions. Again, as mentioned in my previous post, not against him taking an occasional 3 to keep the defense honest…but we don’t need more sample sizes…he’s right on his career 3 pt shooting numbers this year. 26-27% from deep.

You’re correct, but do you think when TJD comes back he’s going to get a lot of minutes at that spot?

We don’t really have the depth to play a four out lineup with X hurt if Race can’t get us some minutes as a guy that can knock down perimeter shots. We will of course do it in spots, but if we think our best option is that (I certainly think it is) we are going to need some Race shooting. He gave it to us last year when we started going to that look and he’s been shooting better recently…

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You’re correct, but do you think when TJD comes back he’s going to get a lot of minutes at that spot?

We don’t really have the depth to play a four out lineup with X hurt if Race can’t get us some minutes as a guy that can knock down perimeter shots. We will of course do it in spots, but if we think our best option is that (I certainly think it is) we are going to need some Race shooting. He gave it to us last year when we started going to that look and he’s been shooting better recently…

And there lies an additional dilemma of our current situation with X out. If we play Race on on the perimeter..the lane will still be clogged as his defender will sag off Race and double/triple TJD in the lane.  Your more optimistic Race can be a better shooter…If he did become a more capable shooter, that would be excellent, it would take us up another level…I just don’t see it happening based on the 5 years of watching him play and his statistics. Every year us fans go through the “what ifs” on Race shooting threes, especially if we think he may be improving his shot making ability and unfortunately, when it’s all said and done he’s still shooting somewhere in the percentages of the twenties by the end of the year. I suspect this year won’t be any different and he’s right on track percentage wise. We’re going to be in a lot of tight games this year and a lot of opposing coaches will be playing the odds on Race…and so far, outside a game here and there, odds are for them and against us if he’s shooting multiple threes.

If we decide to play the 4 guard lineup I’m not totally convinced I would object Race simply coming in to spell TJD and spell a few minutes on the perimeter because we lack depth - again, maybe take an occasional 3 to keep the defense honest. CMW might want to consider playing CJ Gunn a little bit more if he’s ready for big time basketball. Though his shooting numbers are bad this year…he does come in with a reputation as a knock down shooter which may cause the defense to play further out on him, allowing for the lane to be more open for TJD and the guards to drive. Again, not exactly preferable and not necessarily advocating it as Race does certain things better than Gunn, but this is the dilemma we’re facing with X out..this is the hand we’re dealt with.

Let’s hope Bates continues to show a high percentage of shot making ability…particularly against good teams. If he does, that at least gives us him and Kopp as reputable shooters to the opposing teams. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Although I agree that Race and our lack of guards make 1 in and 4 out not a likely offense, Race will be more important in the B1G facing quite a few teams with multiple bangers up front.

We can play the 4 perimeter with 1 big during parts of the game. Not the whole game cause of depth issues but certainly portions. 

TJD/Tamar/Galloway/JHS/Kopp as the most likely 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

And there lies an additional dilemma of our current situation with X out. If we play Race on on the perimeter..the lane will still be clogged as his defender will sag off Race and double/triple TJD in the lane.  Your more optimistic Race can be a better shooter…If he did become a more capable shooter, that would be excellent, it would take us up another level…I just don’t see it happening based on the 5 years of watching him play and his statistics. Every year us fans go through the “what ifs” on Race shooting threes, especially if we think he may be improving his shot making ability and unfortunately, when it’s all said and done he’s still shooting somewhere in the percentages of the twenties by the end of the year. I suspect this year won’t be any different and he’s right on track percentage wise. We’re going to be in a lot of tight games this year and a lot of opposing coaches will be playing the odds on Race…and so far, outside a game here and there, odds are for them and against us if he’s shooting multiple threes.

If we decide to play the 4 guard lineup I’m not totally convinced I would object Race simply coming in to spell TJD and spell a few minutes on the perimeter because we lack depth - again, maybe take an occasional 3 to keep the defense honest. CMW might want to consider playing CJ Gunn a little bit more if he’s ready for big time basketball. Though his shooting numbers are bad this year…he does come in with a reputation as a knock down shooter which may cause the defense to play further out on him, allowing for the lane to be more open for TJD and the guards to drive. Again, not exactly preferable and not necessarily advocating it as Race does certain things better than Gunn, but this is the dilemma we’re facing with X out..this is the hand we’re dealt with.

Let’s hope Bates continues to show a high percentage of shot making ability…particularly against good teams. If he does, that at least gives us him and Kopp as reputable shooters to the opposing teams. 

I mean I hear you, but dating back almost a year Race is a 33% shooter from three even with a bad slump to start the year. So that is improvement from most of his career.

The question really is, is there enough improvement teams will have to respect him and I just don’t think we know enough to see what Big Ten teams will do. 

12 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

I like the idea of playing 1 big man to open up the floor. We were vastly improved on the offensive end when we finally did that in the KSU game. However, the number of guards we have will be a problem…we lack depth with no X.

I don’t understand why we don’t play Leal for 5-6 minutes a game to help with that depth. He was serviceable last year and can do well enough things in those minutes to help. I also think banks can play the 3/4 depending on need as well to help with depth. Also we literally played Gunn in first half only and when he was on the floor the intensity on defense picked up so much. Once his shot starts falling that man is gonna be baddddd!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

The sad thing is we are taking al of this and Woody won’t change a dang thing most likely haha!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I don’t understand why we don’t play Leal for 5-6 minutes a game to help with that depth. He was serviceable last year and can do well enough things in those minutes to help. I also think banks can play the 3/4 depending on need as well to help with depth. Also we literally played Gunn in first half only and when he was on the floor the intensity on defense picked up so much. Once his shot starts falling that man is gonna be baddddd!!!

Leal has been hurt.  I think it was an ankle.  He has just recently been able to return to action.

10 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Because you really only need to play 8 guys in your rotation. Leal is your 13th man and should only get minutes in mop up time 

Edited by IU Scott

I think Scotty is right. Our best chance to win is to only play our best players. Our depth took a major hit with X out. I hope they’re in shape cause that might mean only going 7 or 8 deep. 

Fife was on the radio the other day and said teams at their best only play at most 8 deep. 

A question that I have with this 4 out and 1 big is “where does this leave Reneau?” He’s had it rough lately but I think he’s an integral part of our team if we want to put ourselves in a good position this year. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Not ideal…but with X out, we may be forced to go this route. 

I mentioned this exact scenario in a previous post.

Could be.  I'm not sure how ready Leal is to play.

CMW much more likely to go with upperclassman than freshman.  "The good thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores."

I think Gunn is well ahead of Anthony in the pecking order...

Right now we have JHS, Bates, Galloway, and in a little more limited role, Gunn...

As much as I love Leal, unless we have a combination of injuries/foul trouble, I don't think he sees the floor for any significant minutes... 

• Like 1