Iowa Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Ostensibly, Woodson moving Tamar into the starting lineup is purposeful for a 'quicker' start. Are we all comfortable with him pushing the issue and trying to generate offense? It would seem counter-intuitive to have him start and be reserved/'let the game come to him', right?

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't think he'll be reserved. There were a couple games this year where he checked in from the bench and nailed a three right away. 

XJ was the guy who had a chip on his shoulder... We need some of that...

The Star article and comments from Coach Woodson indicate that Tamar is one of those kind of kids...

He just needed to get his feet under him first... 

6 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Ostensibly, Woodson moving Tamar into the starting lineup is purposeful for a 'quicker' start. Are we all comfortable with him pushing the issue and trying to generate offense? It would seem counter-intuitive to have him start and be reserved/'let the game come to him', right?

We need a 2d scorer who can pour it in.  Right now we have TJD and a bunch of guys that can get some points but not a lot consistently.  Tamar looks like that guy.  But can he do it consistently.

9 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Too much of an inside out team IMO. That’s what continues to beat us. We dominate the interior and the opponent makes 10-15 3s and we lose. You have to make 3s in the college game to win. 

Or, as we’ve seen against Rutgers (and others, but Rutgers was recent and a good example) they can pack the lane HEAVY and we look lost trying to figure out other ways to score. It often results in a turnover or a stagnant possession.

• Like 1

Too much of an inside out team IMO. That’s what continues to beat us. We dominate the interior and the opponent makes 10-15 3s and we lose. You have to make 3s in the college game to win. 

Agree. I want to see more perimeter oriented offense and more three point attempts.

Looking at the last couple games, and at the run at the end of last season, I think we play better offense that way too. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree. I want to see more perimeter oriented offense and more three point attempts.

Looking at the last couple games, and at the run at the end of last season, I think we play better offense that way too. 

As long as they're good shots, sure...I see us, especially Kopp and Galloway, pass up decent looks all the time...They're catch-and-shoot scenarios, but they are good looks...

As long as we don't sacrifice too much in percentage, sure...

And that opens it up for Trayce more, which is a great thing...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As long as they're good shots, sure...I see us, especially Kopp and Galloway, pass up decent looks all the time...They're catch-and-shoot scenarios, but they are good looks...

As long as we don't sacrifice too much in percentage, sure...

And that opens it up for Trayce more, which is a great thing...

That's where I'm at. I don't mind the 3's but let's not forget our advantages on the block either. Both help each other.

All I want tonight is a win. Don't care what it looks like. After this long of a break I don't know what to expect because honestly I don't think in my lifetime I remember one like this. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's where I'm at. I don't mind the 3's but let's not forget our advantages on the block either. Both help each other.

All I want tonight is a win. Don't care what it looks like. After this long of a break I don't know what to expect because honestly I don't think in my lifetime I remember one like this. 

Completely agree. Don’t want us to forget our strengths, but at the same time, we HAVE to make more 3s if we want to beat good teams. Too many times we feel like we dominated the paint, but still lost.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, slojoe said:

We need a 2d scorer who can pour it in.  Right now we have TJD and a bunch of guys that can get some points but not a lot consistently.  Tamar looks like that guy.  But can he do it consistently.

He has certainly played with a high level of confidence the last few games. And the fact that his skillset seemingly compliments TJD's, is a good thing.

Kopp is a better *pure* distance shooter, but Bates' ability to stretch the floor, and put the ball on the deck, has actually helped both players get better looks. More space, more opportunities.

19 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Since I've complained about IU's shooting for 5 years, it's only fair I mention we're currently 6th nationally in field goal percentage.

We're still 221st nationally in free throws, though.

IU stats 2023.JPG

If we shot better in our losses, we could be 10-3 headed into tonight.

:coffee:

• Haha 3

On 1/3/2023 at 6:56 PM, IUFLA said:

I just reread your post...

I don't think Coach Woodson has any intention of going true 4 out, 1 in... Some combination of Race/Trayce/Malik/Geronimo are going to be out there for close to 40 minutes...

We may have seen it vs Kennesaw State, but I don't think we'll see it in Big 10 play... 

Interesting.  I felt like when they went to the five out, everything opened up and started flowing nicely and less clogging.  

why don’t you think we’ll see it in B1G play?  As people noted, it’s easy to pack the defense (especially with one or two IU guys in there) and just let IU shoot ala Rutgers.  

I was personally encouraged by that 5 out or 4/1 offense and was hoping to see a lot more of it tonight and going forward.   Or maybe if IU has a lead and is scoring their traditional way or scoring in transition, that 5 out will just be something used vs specific defense or if they are trailing.  

but just curious why you think we may not see it?  Thanks!  Go IU!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Interesting.  I felt like when they went to the five out, everything opened up and started flowing nicely and less clogging.  

why don’t you think we’ll see it in B1G play?  As people noted, it’s easy to pack the defense (especially with one or two IU guys in there) and just let IU shoot ala Rutgers.  

I was personally encouraged by that 5 out or 4/1 offense and was hoping to see a lot more of it tonight and going forward.   Or maybe if IU has a lead and is scoring their traditional way or scoring in transition, that 5 out will just be something used vs specific defense or if they are trailing.  

but just curious why you think we may not see it?  Thanks!  Go IU!

3 reasons...

Backcourt depth... Right now we're operating with 3 heathy guards and only 2 of those have any Big 10 experience. I guess we could put Gunn in the rotation, but he's unproven..

A lot of Big 10 teams would kill us offensively. Iowa in particular. Who would guard Kris Murray? Kopp? I don't think that'd be a good matchup for us. Penn State might be a team we can get away with it, because that's basically what they do... But they also shoot the 3 better than we do, and at a higher volume. 

Lastly, Coach Woodson is very consistent in his thinking. We're an inside out team. He's not gonna go to Trayce, Kopp and 3 guards unless he is forced. He's gonna get Malik and Geronimo minutes, either together or with Race or Trayce on the floor.

We're 10-3 and lost to good teams... Let's see if the slight adjustment putting Tamar in the starting lineup works before we change our whole strategy... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

3 reasons...

Backcourt depth... Right now we're operating with 3 heathy guards and only 2 of those have any Big 10 experience. I guess we could put Gunn in the rotation, but he's unproven..

A lot of Big 10 teams would kill us offensively. Iowa in particular. Who would guard Kris Murray? Kopp? I don't think that'd be a good matchup for us. Penn State might be a team we can get away with it, because that's basically what they do... But they also shoot the 3 better than we do, and at a higher volume. 

Lastly, Coach Woodson is very consistent in his thinking. We're an inside out team. He's not gonna go to Trayce, Kopp and 3 guards unless he is forced. He's gonna get Malik and Geronimo minutes, either together or with Race or Trayce on the floor.

We're 10-3 and lost to good teams... Let's see if the slight adjustment putting Tamar in the starting lineup works before we change our whole strategy... 

Thanks!  Makes sense.  

Would they play 4/1 and keep Race on the perimeter?  Or keep all 5 out with Race and TJD?   

Finally - I agree. All the losses were to good teams. 

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

Thanks!  Makes sense.  

Would they play 4/1 and keep Race on the perimeter?  Or keep all 5 out with Race and TJD?   

Finally - I agree. All the losses were to good teams. 

Yeah, I think they have been playing the 4/1 with Race out to a point...And I think a lot of people on here with much more Xs and Os knowledge than I have think Race needs to take the 3 shot when he gets it,,,And I agree...He just seems more effective when he gets it in rhythm and shoots it...First hesitation, pass it off...

I think playing all 5 out with Trayce on the floor not only takes away probably our best scoring option, but takes away some second chance buckets as well...

I saw 2 teams, Michigan and Penn State, do a little of both 4/1 (both) and 5 out (PSU) last night...Makes for some interesting basketball...Penn State would play 5 out and have Jalen Pickett back his man down and score...and he's only 6'4...But he's really good at it...Not sure we have that on our roster...Yet

And Michigan has the athletes I think Woody would love to have...6'5-6'8 guys that have length and can shoot it...Dickinson is pretty good in that offense too...Can't afford to leave Jett Howard, Bufkin, or Joey Baker on the perimeter, so Hunter doesn't get doubled like Trayce does...

• Like 1