Pick Your Sports Championship

5fouls

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have been a member of the Ft. Wayne Curling Club since it reopened in 2010. Until my knee replacement surgery in February, I was curling twice a week. Hoping to resume in a week or so. Given a choice, unless it's an IU game,  I'll watch a curling match over a random college hoops game almost every time.

It is so cool learning these type of things about our members. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

It's really hard for me to pick between IU and the Cubs as my #1. It's like picking a favorite child, I can't do it. I fell in love with baseball first, and watching Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson crush balls over the ivy while Harry Caray yelled 'Holy Cow!' was the best thing ever.

I didn't really appreciate IU basketball until the late 80s/early 90s when I started getting better at playing myself. Greg Graham was the first player I met in person, but it was actually meeting Andre Patterson, Charlie Miller and Neil Reed at the Bloomington mall that solidified things for me. They were very nice and signed their autographs on a napkin. 

IU football is my number 3. In some ways I want them to win more than the other two. I so, so, so want this program to succeed and it's heartbreak every year that they don't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

Mine is the exact same.  I was raised with IUBB and NDFB as mainstays in our house.  I was a Bears fan until the Mayflower trucks arrived, Though I am a bit pissy with the Colts the last couple years.

We can wear our matching reversible jackets, that all these young uns just don't understand 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

How many IU games were televised back when most people only had 3 channels?  Notre Dame was on TV every Saturday. 

They were replayed on Sundays as well. I grew up in a time when there was little to no NBA basketball on TV,  I watched IU basketball, ND football, The Cowboys and the Reds. That was about it. I don't think I realized IU had a football team until I was in high school and deciding where I wanted to go to school

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

They were replayed on Sundays as well. I grew up in a time when there was little to no NBA basketball on TV,  I watched IU basketball, ND football, The Cowboys and the Reds. That was about it. I don't think I realized IU had a football team until I was in high school and deciding where I wanted to go to school

I followed IU football because I had a friend who's dad had season tickets. If not for that then I probably wouldn't have.  I listened to almost everything on the radio, IUBB, IUFB, pacers and colts.  Other than that it was Sundays sports pages. My dad had cable so I got to watch a little more when I was at his house.  Trading cards was another way to keep up. 

I grew up in the country so cable wasn't an option. I think we got satellite in 1999. I think people who didn't grow up rural or broke don't realize how little options there were. 

Sports broadcasting as we know it today is probably only about 10-15yrs old. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I followed IU football because I had a friend who's dad had season tickets. If not for that then I probably wouldn't have.  I listened to almost everything on the radio, IUBB, IUFB, pacers and colts.  Other than that it was Sundays sports pages. My dad had cable so I got to watch a little more when I was at his house.  Trading cards was another way to keep up. 

I grew up in the country so cable wasn't an option. I think we got satellite in 1999. I think people who didn't grow up rural or broke don't realize how little options there were. 

Sports broadcasting as we know it today is probably only about 10-15yrs old. 

I did not become  Colts fan until I went to IU. Grew up watching the Cowboys and Bengals and Jim Harbaugh made me a Colts fan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I did not become  Colts fan until I went to IU. Grew up watching the Cowboys and Bengals and Jim Harbaugh made me a Colts fan

Pretty much the same for me. Started following the Colts during their 1995 AFC championship run. Still remember that dropped pass.  At that time the Colts hadn't been in Indy that long. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I listened to the games on the radio. I am an IU fan for every sport and just can't picture being fans of different schools fir different sports

Why is that hard to imagine. If you never got to see ir hear a team play how could you be a fan of that team. The only player I had heard of from IU was Anthony Thompson because he was in the Heisman running. 

If a person grew up out of state but went to IU, you can't see how they could like different teams??

I was a fan of the Angel's a few years ago because a kid from our town was pitching for them. Lots of reasons to like different teams. As kids we learn to like teams we can see, that win and ate relevant and for me IU football was 0 for 3 in that category but ND was 3 for 3

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

How many IU games were televised back when most people only had 3 channels?  Notre Dame was on TV every Saturday. 

A lot of them were televised on channel 4. Me and the Old Man never missed an IU basketball game if it was on... I don't know how many games they broadcast in 71, but we pretty much watched every one we could...

They broadcast a lot of Purdue games too... In 1969 they showed a bunch with Rick Mount and Billy Keller playing...

I watched because I love Big 10 basketball, but I despised them even then... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A lot of them were televised on channel 4. Me and the Old Man never missed an IU basketball game if it was on... I don't know how many games they broadcast in 71, but we pretty much watched every one we could...

They broadcast a lot of Purdue games too... In 1969 they showed a bunch with Rick Mount and Billy Keller playing...

For basketball sure although I don't recall always being able to see them. A lot of times I only got channel 2 and 10 out of Evansville and Terre Haute I think. 

But I don't think I ever saw an IU football game on TV.  When I went to college I finally had ESPN.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

For basketball sure although I don't recall always being able to see them. A lot of times I only got channel 2 and 10 out of Evansville and Terre Haute I think. 

But I don't think I ever saw an IU football game on TV.  When I went to college I finally had ESPN.  

Oh, you were talking football... 

I'm not sure local stations could carry college football... Growing up, it was either on ABC or you didn't see it... Contractual maybe? 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

growing up in the Region all we got was DePaul. Loved Coach Ray Meyer.

Wasn’t until college that I finally realized there was an IU team. My friends quickly brought me up to speed!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

growing up in the Region all we got was DePaul. Loved Coach Ray Meyer.

Wasn’t until college that I finally realized there was an IU team. My friends quickly brought me up to speed!

After we got cable (1973 or so? 13 whole channels!) we saw a lot of DePaul games too... Remember the Dave Corzine/Gary Garland teams from around 77... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

After we got cable (1973 or do? 13 whole channels!) we saw a lot of DePaul games too... Remember the Dave Corzine/Gary Garland teams from around 77... 

Grew up in Chicago during the Terry Cummings years.

Ray Meyer was a gem. His son tried to follow in his father's footsteps, not very successfully.

• Like 2