Wittman $2

This is hard. Another lineup I like:

Thomas $5

Bellamy $5

Jefferies $2

Guyton $2

Oladipo $1

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

One of my earliest basketball memories was Jay Edward's hitting the shot.  Now, comparing him and Oladipo, who you got and why?  

Oladipo was a straight up lock down defender.  Super efficient.   Jay looks to have been more of a scorer.  Tell me what I don't know to help make this decision.   

Courtney Witte (Scout for the Pacers at the time) said Jay Edwards couldn't guard a sidewalk. 😂  I'd definitely take Vic over that.

• Like 3

I know everybody has a different criteria for forming their team, but assuming you are picking a team of players in their ‘college prime’ to compete tomorrow (in the modern college game), I can’t imagine leaving Alford and his shooting off, even with the $5 ask. 

The opposition sure wouldn’t be clogging up the lane with him given the green light to shoot beyond the 3 point line. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I know everybody has a different criteria for forming their team, but assuming you are picking a team of players in their ‘college prime’ to compete tomorrow (in the modern college game), I can’t imagine leaving Alford and his shooting off, even with the $5 ask. 

The opposition sure wouldn’t be clogging up the lane with him given the green light to shoot beyond the 3 point line. 

Alford wouldn’t be the same player in the modern game. He thrived in a motion offense running off multiple staggered screens. No one plays that way anymore. He could still contribute as a spot up shooter, but not sure he’d be the same impact player 

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Alford wouldn’t be the same player in the modern game. He thrived in a motion offense running off multiple staggered screens. No one plays that way anymore. He could still contribute as a spot up shooter, but not sure he’d be the same impact player 

Well there is no reason that kind of offense wouldn't do well today. These kids today wouldn't know how to defend 5 players moving and setting screens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Don’t disagree, but with the transfer portal and early exits, coaches don’t  take the time to teach it. 

Just watching old games and a lot of teams using some kind of motion made for a more pleasing offense to watch.  I think the main reason you don't see it is because they run NBA offense to get top players to ce to their school 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just watching old games and a lot of teams using some kind of motion made for a more pleasing offense to watch.  I think the main reason you don't see it is because they run NBA offense to get top players to ce to their school 

That’s part of it, but to run motion a coach has to give up control and trust players to make the right decisions 

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Saw this on Twitter and thought it could make a fun discussion. You’ve just hit it big with the NIL and have $15 to spend, who ya got HSN?

image.thumb.png.9f5e71288a91b7e7a27731d54d97181a.png

They’ve updated this…old one had Kirk Haston, Evans...no Trayce.

Anyways you could pick just about any combination and win a NC for sure so I would just pick the 5 I would love to watch.

PG $5 Thomas

SG $1 Vic

G/F $1 Edwards 

F $5 Cheaney

C $2 Zeller

Sure we would struggle to rebound and defend the paint but we would score like  120 pts a game lol…be fun to watch….with my extra dollar I’d snag TJD to come off the bench and help me with the paint protection lol.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d be shocked if we ever ran the clock down in the prime IU days. It could still be run to great effect but kids don’t know how to play without the ball and star kids today want it in their hands all the time.

We didn't, watch the 87 and the 92,93 seasons and we shot within the first 15 seconds of the possession. What I don't like about offense now is doesn't even start to run the offense until 15 seconds of the clock. They are trying to get one shot at the end of the clock instead of getting the first open look.

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Interesting you picked a team devoid of a national champion. Certainly can’t argue with its greatness, though. 

Henderson and Cheaney have one if Henderson doesn't get hurt.  I honestly don't think you can put together a better 5 with the salaries provided.  4 first round draft picks, three of them lottery.  The other is a 4-year starting PG that ended up being the school's all-time assist leader.