Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

12 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Painful to say, but true. IU went up 28-7 at the 13:32 mark of the first half. Iowa went to zone and we never really attacked it. Yes, we scored 61 more, but the zone caused us to have scoring droughts that allowed them to cut the 21 point lead to 10 at the half (giving them momentum and waking up the crowd), and then cutting the 10 point lead to a deficit. 

The offense against the zone was passing the ball around the perimeter and then trying to lob over the defense to TJD. There was no cutting against the zone or flashing to the high post. On the couple occasions where a player flashed to the foul line, they didn't look to shoot or pass inside. The scoring against the zone was primarily individual effort by TJD or JHS shooting over the zone (but usually off the dribble, not a kickout). 

Defensively, I don't have a clue what we were trying to do. As Raftery said, IA was just driving the lane at will to the basket. This has been a problem all season (UNC being the exception). I can't believe how many times we gave them a clear path, without anyone rotating over. Don't know when I've seen so many drives without a charge call or even a close block/charge call. 

We scored 89 points. Defense and rebounding lost this game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

We scored 89 points. Defense and rebounding lost this game.

Free throw shooting was pretty big. We made more field goals and more three pointers than them, but got smoked at the line on similar attempts. 

I also think we became pretty easy to guard the last 5 minutes or so - lots of perimeter passing without a purpose.

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I said the same in another post. But we still didn’t play well against their zone

I just put this in the IU B 22/23 thread. McCaffery agrees with you. 

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Figured this might get buried in the Iowa post game thread so I'll post it here-

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iowas-connor-mccaffery-iu-basketball-145633003.html

Iowa's Connor McCaffery on IU basketball: 'I don't know if they'd ever seen (a zone) before.'

As I said 5 pages ago, defense and rebounding lost this game. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The loss of Race lost the game.  Whomever was being guarded by our replacement for him basically went off in the second half.  

https://www.insidethehall.com/2023/01/07/film-session-iowa-15/

Race was playing great. It was the loss of his defense and rebounding (and even knowledge of how to play against the zone) that doomed us in the second half. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The loss of Race lost the game.  Whomever was being guarded by our replacement for him basically went off in the second half.  

https://www.insidethehall.com/2023/01/07/film-session-iowa-15/

Yikes! That's a pretty damning indictment of JG's defensive performance Thursday. 

Just completely lost and out of position numerous times. Kopp gave up some points to Murray too but at least he was battling and making him work. 

• Like 2